Arena Commander Live Now !

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
I guess my question to all the people that have already played it is if it has seen some updates in the framerate areas. i have a brand new top of the line laptop and it is still sluggish and slow in the hangar even in low settings.
What are your specs on your laptop?

Laptops aren't really the best choice for high end gaming

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
I guess my question to all the people that have already played it is if it has seen some updates in the framerate areas. i have a brand new top of the line laptop and it is still sluggish and slow in the hangar even in low settings.
I've found that the settings don't really effect anything in the hanger module. I think its because of all the textures and the like. Once you're in the game, its a lot better. I think also that there is more of a driver issue as I can't do SLI and @Dranoc has had lower FPS even with a 660Ti

paqman

Captain
May 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Paqman
I got to play for a while earlier. Personally, I found that playing with the mouse was very difficult. Using a flightstick was awesome though. As many others have already said, customizable controls and sensitivity will be a big help. Overall it works great for a PRE alpha.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
My friend had a similar problem. The cause of his problem is that for some reason games sometimes run on the integrated graphics.

Mackabeez

Lieutenant
Jun 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Mackabeez
:( wish i could be playing DFM right now. Stuck at home with parents and grandparents away from my PC. Please kill 100 Vanduul for me while I'm absent. I've already read through the DFM manual front to back. There's a hell of a lot of systems packed into this alpha. Has anyone else looked at the flight manual?

Reactions: ShadyBrady

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
My 2 beefs:

Big dead zone for M+KB users in terms of switching from aiming to moving. I've been switching to Ctrl+F mode and not gimbaling the guns, but it's hard to hit things!

The manual states that you get repaired after every "Elite Wave" (waves 3, 6, 9, 12, 15), along with getting topped off on ballistic ammo every round, and a reload of missiles every 3 rounds. It doesn't do any of that, which makes some ships, like the 300i with noticeably less shields and armor (and half the missiles of the Hornet) kind of a pain to get through. I managed to get to level 12 of Vanduul swarm, the last 2 with a cherry red engine and 1 missile left because it didn't get repaired/reloaded all game.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
The manual states that you get repaired after every "Elite Wave" (waves 3, 6, 9, 12, 15), along with getting topped off on ballistic ammo every round, and a reload of missiles every 3 rounds. It doesn't do any of that, which makes some ships, like the 300i with noticeably less shields and armor (and half the missiles of the Hornet) kind of a pain to get through. I managed to get to level 12 of Vanduul swarm, the last 2 with a cherry red engine and 1 missile left because it didn't get repaired/reloaded all game.
Second time I played I got a message about repairs after wave 6, nothing got fixed, no missiles replenishing, but I did get a refill on balistic ammo. Guess the system is buggy

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
Big dead zone for M+KB users in terms of switching from aiming to moving. I've been switching to Ctrl+F mode and not gimbaling the guns, but it's hard to hit things!
Yeah, I'm really struggling with this. Two different play sessions so far of 30-50 minutes each. Started using Ctrl+F in the second playthrough, but still not enjoying flying. Will try decoupling next, but as-is I'm maybe able to get through the 1st wave without using any missiles after a solid 30 minutes of trying.

I suspect that if I dedicated a lot of time to mastering the flight controls, I could become somewhat more proficient at it, but I'm tending right now to think that I should just wait until later in the development cycle, because it would be annoying to spend all that time training and then have the flight model change.

So far, not having fun with it. It looks good, but spending 15 minutes trying to get crosshairs on a single enemy ship is more of an exercise in frustration than anything else, and it's annoying that they're not shooting me down if my flying is so atrocious. I by no means want it to be easy to shoot down a Vanduul, but it would be nice if the flight controls or flight model were more intuitive.

I'm still excited for the game, and will give AC 0.8 another try to see if decoupling helps me out, but if it doesn't give me a noticeable improvement in fun I'm probably sitting it out until there's an update to flight mechanics / controls.

Barthanes

Admiral
Nov 10, 2013
RSI Handle
BarthanesGraves
ok for yall keyboard and mouse people try using this setup that you get with X3 if its at all possible. I haven't been able to get in game so i don't know if this is possible, but this lets me handle the gun gimball in X3. Hope this helps.

W/S= throttle(faster/Slower)
A/D= Roll(spinning)
Mouse=Pitch/Yaw/gun gimball(pointing nose up and down/turning left and right/moving the guns)
Mousebutton1=LAZORS
Mousebutton2=MISSILES

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
Dang! Well I'm really glad everyone is getting it up and running! I'm still in the process of picking out parts for a new desktop with a DX 11 card. I'm hoping that if I can get everything going by summer's end I won't miss out on too much! (I'll of course try to maintain an active forum presence when my boss isn't having us all buckle down for new collaboration experiments and grant writing...grr).

What are everyone's favorite parts so far? (So I can have some daydream material in the meantime :D)

stefmor90

Vice Admiral
Mar 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Valihanth
Dang! Well I'm really glad everyone is getting it up and running! I'm still in the process of picking out parts for a new desktop with a DX 11 card. I'm hoping that if I can get everything going by summer's end I won't miss out on too much! (I'll of course try to maintain an active forum presence when my boss isn't having us all buckle down for new collaboration experiments and grant writing...grr).

What are everyone's favorite parts so far? (So I can have some daydream material in the meantime :D)
Vanduul swarm is fun, but the Scavangers (The most common enemies) can take far too long to hunt down.

Unlike everyone else here I'm really enjoying the control schemes (playing on M&K). I'm not really one to judge, since the last space game I played was Privateer like 2 billion years ago or something; however, the more I used the gimbaled turret, the better I become at blowing up those annoying Vanduul. I really don't like the CTRL-F/Relative Aiming mode, it feels oddly laggy and even more unresponsive than people say the gimbaled mode is.

I think something everyone can agree on is that if you have G-Safe and Comstab on you're a huge n00b.

Barstruck

Lieutenant
Mar 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Barstruck
I got to play a little bit during my lunch break today, since it took all day and most of last night to download.

Today I learned something: It IS possible to fly a Hornet with a throbbing erection.

Well, not literally, but if 5 year old me saw this, he would piss himself.

Ploratio

Admiral
Apr 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Ploratio

My favorite part has to be the killing. I'm not very good at it yet, as I try to get used to X360 controller, but it is oh-so-satisfying to blow up those stinkin' Vanduul. Or to ram them in suicide run after losing both of my weapons (well, Aurora itself is a weapon).

I was testing ShadowPlay, so feel free to enjoy my pathetic flying. :D

Reactions: Walex

Vurczi

Grand Admiral
Jun 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Vurczi
Just tried it and I'm already loving it! My Experience: I entered space and crashed into the first object! *New Record* :D

stefmor90

Vice Admiral
Mar 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Valihanth
My favorite part has to be the killing. I'm not very good at it yet, as I try to get used to X360 controller, but it is oh-so-satisfying to blow up those stinkin' Vanduul. Or to ram them in suicide run after losing both of my weapons (well, Aurora itself is a weapon).

I was testing ShadowPlay, so feel free to enjoy my pathetic flying. :D
Flying an Aurora like a true Test pilot I see.

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
Second time I played I got a message about repairs after wave 6, nothing got fixed, no missiles replenishing, but I did get a refill on balistic ammo. Guess the system is buggy
This -_-'

Also can't wait to get a slider for brightness, contrast and that sort of jazz coz daayum, it's hard to see stuff sometimes. Was flying into something that was just "dark" when suddenly: collision

Forgot your password?