Armchair analysts, cast your eyes upon Pitchfork

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hi there TESTies, in another thread Pitchfork was mentioned and it got me wondering where on the front would be best for the push:

1719601724751.png

1719602648368.png

Looking at the above map, assuming no hidden jump points, there are two distinct clusters of Vandu'ul systems, the rear line of 10 which are really only accessible via Elysium with a large and Garron and Lier with smaller jump points, and the forward cluster of six apparently independent of the rear line with Oberon providing a Large jump point and Nul, Oberon, Kellog and Vega providing smaller points.

While the 10 rear have fewer entry points, the last system before Du'ul space is UEE while the 6 forward only has Vega in the UEE with a smaller jump point leading with the rest of the systems including Oberon with the large jump being unclaimed and thus low-infrastructure systems...

What do you think?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Personally, I'd find a way to shut down the Vanguard system entirely. If it was possible, I'd open up a super massive black hole that would take up that entire system, which would cut off 9 of their key systems from the rest of space based on known jump points. Then use all remaining forces to eradicate the Vanduul in their remaining systems. Given their nature based on what the lore team has provided so far, the only way to truly stop their hostilities, is to make them either extinct or permanently cut off from the rest of the universe. Those that survive would have to feed on each other.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think potentially there is a lower chance of there being a KingShip in the front 6 as there is no known Large jump from the back 10 making them a more survivable attack option, however we know there was a King involved in the fall of Orion so either it fought its way there, there is a hidden Large Jump or they are building Kings in one of those front 6 systems...?

Taking that Capital shipyard would be a reward in itself...

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Hi there TESTies, in another thread Pitchfork was mentioned and it got me wondering where on the front would be best for the push:

View attachment 25764
View attachment 25765

Looking at the above map, assuming no hidden jump points, there are two distinct clusters of Vandu'ul systems, the rear line of 10 which are really only accessible via Elysium with a large and Garron and Lier with smaller jump points, and the forward cluster of six apparently independent of the rear line with Oberon providing a Large jump point and Nul, Oberon, Kellog and Vega providing smaller points.

While the 10 rear have fewer entry points, the last system before Du'ul space is UEE while the 6 forward only has Vega in the UEE with a smaller jump point leading with the rest of the systems including Oberon with the large jump being unclaimed and thus low-infrastructure systems...

What do you think?
Well there are two possibilities.
  • We could attack at Nul in order to save the "Great Centauri Republic."
  • We could, as Kosh advised, "they are a dying race, we should let them pass."
"Pitch Fork" implies a multipronged attack. Likely Nul, Oberon and Vanguard

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The player mission sequence “Sons of Orion”is flown out of Vega III. There are large jump points that link it with Orion and most of the rest of the front line. The rear line accesses currently through one small jump point into Vanguard from Leir, and a large gate through Elysium.

My guess is that when we hit Beta, the first two will both be available, but the large jump through Elysium will not, so no UEE access to the heart of Vanduul territory except by smaller, longer range ships like the Vanguard series. Vanguards have greater range than most fighters.

As I noted though, there are undiscovered jump points. Big ones. So everything is going to change after Beta opens. Some of the change will be from players finding jump points, and probably some from Vanduul using unknown jump points.

What I think is to start, smaller ships with greater range are the way to go. And yeah, breathless exploration work to be done looking for super important jump points. Also, big bucks for hauling into Vega II, setting up Starfarer skimming service in Vega, providing Crucible service around the system. Scout services where ships jump to test if Vanduul are about, or who just go check systems for Vanduul presence—earning big pesos.

View: https://youtu.be/8LSn72-3zjs?si=mfQertSbriWe6sXa

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
"Pitch Fork" implies a multipronged attack. Likely Nul, Oberon and Vanguard
Oooh now thats an interesting thought!

So Capitals can move in to Vanguard and Virgil but Calbain from Nul is choked by a small jump hole... From Oberon it's a Medium so sending the medium ships from there would probably be part of that plan but at that point send the small ships from there too...? Also, Vector would be untouched and with a Medium hole running to Kellog they can easily hit Chronosand other USE systems in a counter attack or even a retreat to take defensive ground...?

I've been thinking about making the front 6 the centre of operations with the back 10 to be dealt with later but any counterattack from those risks losing Elysium and Centauri as well so I think you're right about Vanguard it needs to be included, but I'd change to have a small mopping up group in Nul to take out and retreating small ships but not part of the three prong assault....

My thinking right now:

Kellog to Vector.
Oberon to Virgil and Calbain
Elysium to Vanguard.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The player mission sequence “Sons of Orion”is flown out of Vega III. There are large jump points that link it with Orion and most of the rest of the front line. The rear line accesses currently through one small jump point into Vanguard from Leir, and a large gate through Elysium.

My guess is that when we hit Beta, the first two will both be available, but the large jump through Elysium will not, so no UEE access to the heart of Vanduul territory except by smaller, longer range ships like the Vanguard series. Vanguards have greater range than most fighters.

As I noted though, there are undiscovered jump points. Big ones. So everything is going to change after Beta opens. Some of the change will be from players finding jump points, and probably some from Vanduul using unknown jump points.

What I think is to start, smaller ships with greater range are the way to go. And yeah, breathless exploration work to be done looking for super important jump points. Also, big bucks for hauling into Vega II, setting up Starfarer skimming service in Vega, providing Crucible service around the system. Scout services where ships jump to test if Vanduul are about, or who just go check systems for Vanduul presence—earning big pesos.

View: https://youtu.be/8LSn72-3zjs?si=mfQertSbriWe6sXa
That's the thing those KingShips didn't arrive on the front by magic and it's unlikely they have a production centre so far forward so those unknown jumps will play a major role.

Your thoughts on a starfarer may explain why the SF Gemini exists that kind of resource gathering will be intrinsic.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Oooh now thats an interesting thought!

So Capitals can move in to Vanguard and Virgil but Calbain from Nul is choked by a small jump hole... From Oberon it's a Medium so sending the medium ships from there would probably be part of that plan but at that point send the small ships from there too...? Also, Vector would be untouched and with a Medium hole running to Kellog they can easily hit Chronosand other USE systems in a counter attack or even a retreat to take defensive ground...?

I've been thinking about making the front 6 the centre of operations with the back 10 to be dealt with later but any counterattack from those risks losing Elysium and Centauri as well so I think you're right about Vanguard it needs to be included, but I'd change to have a small mopping up group in Nul to take out and retreating small ships but not part of the three prong assault....

My thinking right now:

Kellog to Vector.
Oberon to Virgil and Calbain
Elysium to Vanguard.
They have said that jump point sizes were going to be refactored as to what fits where. The Pyro-Stanton link is only supposed to be medium, but they keep sending capital and sub-capital ships through.

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I have an alternate theory, that if CIG ends up going with, would be potentially terrifying. What if, similar (to a degree) to the show Babylon V, the Vanduul through trade with the Banu become capable of assembling medium sized ships that can work together in forming a jump gate anchor point in another system that links to another set of those ships? That would allow them to use medium & larger jump points to eventually reach a system they want to invade directly. This being said, if the UEE were to get their hands on this tech, that could be an equally destructive game changer in the conflicts with the Vanduul as well as any other group in the future.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I have an alternate theory, that if CIG ends up going with, would be potentially terrifying. What if, similar (to a degree) to the show Babylon V, the Vanduul through trade with the Banu become capable of assembling medium sized ships that can work together in forming a jump gate anchor point in another system that links to another set of those ships? That would allow them to use medium & larger jump points to eventually reach a system they want to invade directly. This being said, if the UEE were to get their hands on this tech, that could be an equally destructive game changer in the conflicts with the Vanduul as well as any other group in the future.
In Babylon 5 jump gats and larger ships, open a portal to hyperspace.
In Star Citizen, jump points are natural Einstein-Rosen Bridges. The only science fiction that combines the two, that I know of, is the Honor Harrington series by David Weber and Star Trek beginning with DS9. Each has different rules when they are combined.

Artificial Einstein-Rosen Bridges, are in Star Gate, Traveller (though it takes a week to travel through one), The Expanse, and Thor (also not instant.).

Hyperspace, aka Warp Space, aka Fold Space, aks The Warp, is the more common method of interstellar travel.

Forgot your password?