As the game is developed, what do you think of their communications with us?

Is Bob a real Sheriff?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sheriff Bob

Ensign
Jul 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Sheriff Bob
I'm intrigued by Star Citizen, not so much because of the space and pew pews, but because of the absolute deluge of information they are pushing out. Just in the videos they seem to be truly focused on keeping a constant communication with us, the wallets.

What do you think of their communication style? If you were developing a massive game like this, would you change any way that they're doing things?

And I really want to know to help me with my massive game I'm developing. And by "massive game" I mean Guinness, and by "developing" I mean drinking.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I think they're building a great community with the info they give us and with their interactions with fans. If I were making a game, I would strive to be like CIG.

bcmsemo

Rear Admiral
Donor
Jul 27, 2014
RSI Handle
darkbcm
I only recently found and subscribed to star citizens but, I am amazed at how much detail they are putting out to the public this early in development. Looking through some of the older post and vids they have kept the community updated since the beginning with no bs(which is rare in games).

I cant believe more games don't follow this model. They are literally make millions off people buying ships and crap before the game has even hit alpha. That just seems crazy to me as this game could potentially suck in the end(however unlikely). Honestly though im more of a main stream gamer that plays the titles from big name releases. This model of business is probably more common than I know.

Sheriff Bob

Ensign
Jul 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Sheriff Bob
I agree, tremendous amount of information. is it too much? Will they peak early? Because...uh...that's never happened to me, ok?

And seriously, I am in the beginning stages of designing a big game which is one reason I'm diggin SC.

Rids-frinic

Vice Admiral
Donor
Jul 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Rids-frinic
Well, given that this is 100% crowd funded, like any entity that funds a project, we deserve to have updates on the status of the game and the current direction. I believe they have done more then enough in terms of spewing out information. All us "citizens" are just playing the role of the producer. Investing our monies into a project that will hopefully become successful. The only difference is that we don't exactly see a profit on our side, but a product that we want to use in the end. We are essentially purchasing the talent and labor to produce a product to use for ourselves. If it flops, we simply made a bad investment and CR loses a lot of credibility and pisses off at least 500,000 (currently) people. It's in their best interest to tell us exactly what is going on with the development and direction. After all, that's what keeps us investing more and draws new investors as well. I have never seen in any other game being developed, whether it was crowd funded or not, give out sheer massive amount of information. Dayz is probably a complete opposite of star citizen. It's been a top seller on steam for early access for i don't know how long, and we're lucky to get an update a month or maybe a minor bug fix.

Reactions: Melon

Melon

Lieutenant
Jul 31, 2014
RSI Handle
SirCalculon
I, personally, love the amount of transparency there has been. Every time there have been issues they've been up front about it. They're certainly putting a lot of effort into doing it "right". I completely agree With Rids-frinic on the whole, "we're the publisher slot" thing. What gets me is how some people (my Traveller GM in particular) act like all of the updates, and media are just a facade, and that he thinks this is "Vaporware". Which is absolutely absurd. The thing that gets me is that he infallibly talks about Elite Dangerous after his weekly derision of SC's progress. I've given up explaining the dev schedule to him, but he does have a ghost of a point.

Will the attention and resources dedicated to constant update videos and articles take manpower away from the dev cycle to the point that it is a hindrance?

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Will the attention and resources dedicated to constant update videos and articles take manpower away from the dev cycle to the point that it is a hindrance?
NP, serious fanbois pay $10/mo. to fund the PR effort, it's not cutting into developer time

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
I'm the only one who went for a straight up "No"? I'm astonished and 23% let down.

Forgot your password?