Assassins Creed Valhalla

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Am I the only one who is annoyed that they continue to avoid plucking the low-hanging fruit that is NINJA assassins? How the hell is a bellowing bloody viking a freakin assassin? I get that they are trying to do an England/Templars thing, but it just seems to sacrifice stealthy gameplay (reminiscent of the original) and an interesting setting (feudal Japan) for ham-fisted overarching story elements.

Then again, this is just a cinematic and the gameplay could be out of the ballpark...or it could be another low-effort suck-a-thon. May those who still pre-order be the ones to probe the truth for the rest of us.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Trailer looks good, interesting setting for the story.

I have not played Odyssey yet, everybody says Im missing out!
Honestly they did a pretty good job with Origins and then Odyssey just expanded from there and it was excellent, by far the most enjoyable of the Creed series imo. I played the female version in Odyssey and loved it, the acting and voice work was great. I think the Greek setting just hit so many players nostalgia especially after 300, everyone felt like the battle sequences in that movie and it worked. If you haven't played Odyssey or even Origins they are both imo the best the series has to offer.

I think the Vikings nostalgia is big right now as well, after the series Vikings and some other shows people love the lore.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Am I the only one who is annoyed that they continue to avoid plucking the low-hanging fruit that is NINJA assassins? How the hell is a bellowing bloody viking a freakin assassin? I get that they are trying to do an England/Templars thing, but it just seems to sacrifice stealthy gameplay (reminiscent of the original) and an interesting setting (feudal Japan) for ham-fisted overarching story elements.

Then again, this is just a cinematic and the gameplay could be out of the ballpark...or it could be another low-effort suck-a-thon. May those who still pre-order be the ones to probe the truth for the rest of us.
I agree also, Ninja or Samurai settings in Japan would be a great Creed series.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Glad you all liked the trailer, I'll tell the guys who made it! My friend said they are still working on some other variations of it, so there will be more to come!

As for the games I really liked the first two, the ship stuff in black flag was fun, and as I'm a fan of ancient Egypt I thought Origins was most excellent,.just a bit grindy. Skipped the rest of em.
Origins going the stat based action rpg route with much less stealth was a bit weird though, and I expect this will emphasise the action part even more. It's fun and all, but it doesn't really feel like being an assassin anymore. More like a thug that can be stealthy if he really really has to lol

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Glad you all liked the trailer, I'll tell the guys who made it! My friend said they are still working on some other variations of it, so there will be more to come!

As for the games I really liked the first two, the ship stuff in black flag was fun, and as I'm a fan of ancient Egypt I thought Origins was most excellent,.just a bit grindy. Skipped the rest of em.
Origins going the stat based action rpg route with much less stealth was a bit weird though, and I expect this will emphasise the action part even more. It's fun and all, but it doesn't really feel like being an assassin anymore. More like a thug that can be stealthy if he really really has to lol
I think in most of the Creed games, you were given an option to be more stealthy or combat oriented, which I prefer, I don't like being forced to play a certain way and Origins and Odyssey let you choose, you were able to spec in certain ways and play how you wanted to, if you liked stealth you can stealth, I wiped entire forts with 20-30 targets entirely under stealth, you can assassinate your targets under stealth if you have the patience, I don't think they went away from the stealth aspect at all, they just gave people a choice.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I think in most of the Creed games, you were given an option to be more stealthy or combat oriented, which I prefer, I don't like being forced to play a certain way and Origins and Odyssey let you choose, you were able to spec in certain ways and play how you wanted to, if you liked stealth you can stealth, I wiped entire forts with 20-30 targets entirely under stealth, you can assassinate your targets under stealth if you have the patience, I don't think they went away from the stealth aspect at all, they just gave people a choice.
i disagree rather strongly there, i think
basically the entire game in both origins and odyssey, there were enemies you were straight up incapable of killing without breaking stealth, and a not insignificant portion of the time these were the people you were supposed to be assassinating
i'm more than likely going to really enjoy this game no matter what, but i'd enjoy it significantly more if the enemies were less... bullet sponge-y

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
i disagree rather strongly there, i think
basically the entire game in both origins and odyssey, there were enemies you were straight up incapable of killing without breaking stealth, and a not insignificant portion of the time these were the people you were supposed to be assassinating
i'm more than likely going to really enjoy this game no matter what, but i'd enjoy it significantly more if the enemies were less... bullet sponge-y
Again, if spec'd right, with the right gear, I was one shotting pretty much anything I wanted to. Also again, if patient enough I could 1vs1 most of them if I cleared out the others without alerting other guards. It took more time and was more tedious for sure, but again that's what stealth was all about, if you planned it, it was doable. Were there times I botched an assassination, for sure.

I just did a quick a search but this guy one shot every one inside the camp, again its about the build.

View: https://youtu.be/xzeh-NqDwpg

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Again, if spec'd right, with the right gear, I was one shotting pretty much anything I wanted to. Also again, if patient enough I could 1vs1 most of them if I cleared out the others without alerting other guards. It took more time and was more tedious for sure, but again that's what stealth was all about, if you planned it, it was doable. Were there times I botched an assassination, for sure.

I just did a quick a search but this guy one shot every one inside the camp, again its about the build.

View: https://youtu.be/xzeh-NqDwpg
right, but that's the issue - it shouldnt be about the build, if you need to min-max just to assassinate people then something's gone wrong with the game design there
but even then, when you're all kitted out for it, there's *still* people you cant kill stealthily; you sneak up and try to kill them and it only does like half their health in damage
and there's not just one or 2 of these guys, they're in basically every mission or camp or w/e

Forgot your password?