Atlas a port of Ark with Ark menus etc still in the game xD

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
lol you still think its a joke? 😂
The way they handled the "launch" was still for sure a joke IMHO ....
But ultimately the purpose of a game is to have fun, and that's what I've had. Definitely glad I decided to gamble $25 as opposed to protesting. I feel like for some of us, this is going to be about as good as it gets for TEST until SC has more content.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Atlast is literally a dlc though, you go into the hidden menu and it shows dlc maps and Ocean is Atlas under the dlc. Im not saying Atlas isnt fun nor could it be, but they are marketing it as something it isnt and I dont appreciate those marketing practices, it is deceptive.
Hopefully, they focus more on the Pirate MMO side as opposed to the survival aspect of Ark. I feel like if the community overwhelmingly demands that, that's exactly what we'll get eventually. As far as the raw asset flipping .... that doesn't really bother me, especially at $25 EA.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
The way they handled the "launch" was still for sure a joke IMHO ....
But ultimately the purpose of a game is to have fun, and that's what I've had. Definitely glad I decided to gamble $25 as opposed to protesting. I feel like for some of us, this is going to be about as good as it gets for TEST until SC has more content.
What game launch has ever gone according to plan, ever?

Reactions: Ganji

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Nearl
Hopefully, they focus more on the Pirate MMO side as opposed to the survival aspect of Ark. I feel like if the community overwhelmingly demands that, that's exactly what we'll get eventually. As far as the raw asset flipping .... that doesn't really bother me, especially at $25 EA.
It seems people are looking for a replacer to sea of thieves, which bombed horribly.

Reactions: Radegast74

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
ok, let me rephrase,

what popular, hyped, MMO type game has ever survived launch for PC without issues?
This isn't a mmo, but very few. This game has starting islands and if those filled up people cant login until more people branch out. 150 server caps isnt a mmo. Its just big lobbies.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
This isn't a mmo, but very few. This game has starting islands and if those filled up people cant login until more people branch out. 150 server caps isnt a mmo. Its just big lobbies.
sure, you have your definitions and I have mine.

Let's agree to disagree.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
40k people in a world in this instance literally translates to 40k people in a group of servers. Its the equivalent of ff14 where they have 6 different servers in a cluster but now you can move between the servers. It isnt in anyway 40k simultaneously. You cant get 40k people simultaneously jn the same location. This game is equivalent to diablo 3 with bigger lobbies. Diablo 3 has a world and a bunch of servers that people can join amd leave. That doesnt make the game a mmo and it doesnt equal simultaneous in the same world, because if a server caps at 150 you cant join it. Unlike mmos there is no cap im zones. Its a lie.

Eve is capable of 40k simultaneously in the same world Atlas is literally abusing words to make you believe something it cant do by playing with words when the real definition of what the steam page says is describing a game like eve. You can literally do the exact same thing in Ark that this game is doing. The just make it play with the word "world" to make you believe you are all playing together. The world is 16 servers big. Is essentially just making 16 different maps. Its kinda like battlefield, you jave 16 maps and you can hop between lobbies
This is in no way different. Bf by the definition of what this game wants you to believe compared to what it actually is, is a mmo by comparison then.
That is wrong about Eve. Each system is managed by one different server but the lower populated ones, so no, no 40.000 in one server.
Eve is famous about it getting horribily laggy when you put 100 or 150 players in the same system. Also, when orgs are going to do big battles, they have to schedule the battle with the devs so they can assign a powerful server to the system they are going to battle, and those battles were of 600 players or so.

So... Ee maybe support... 50? 80? online players.

I have always wondered how the algorithm for that works on Steam to show what is best seller. I may keep this game on the radar still as it does look like it has potential, but currently I only have time for a few games and this one looks like a major time sink.
$$

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
sure, you have your definitions and I have mine.

Let's agree to disagree.
When did the actual definition of a mmo change from thousands playing together to 150? 150 max players has never been an industry standard for mmo. Thats not something left to interpertation. Its an industry standard.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
That is wrong about Eve. Each system is managed by one different server but the lower populated ones, so no, no 40.000 in one server.
Eve is famous about it getting horribily laggy when you put 100 or 150 players in the same system. Also, when orgs are going to do big battles, they have to schedule the battle with the devs so they can assign a powerful server to the system they are going to battle, and those battles were of 600 players or so.

$$
the biggest battles for eve are not scheduled and reached into the thousands. One of the largest battles in eve was over 2 thousand players. They also had one this year reaching around 5 thousand players fighting. The largest ever had over 6k players. The term server is also loosely used for clusters or blades, nodes etc. But once you login you arent denied access to locations of the game due to player cap. A location in atlas is limited to 150 with zero capability to scale. Planetside 2 has also had battles over a thousand players that never involved slowing the game down and it wasnt laggy for people whose computers that could handle it.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2018/4/eve-online-gamers-set-new-record-for-taking-part-in-a-huge-video-game-battle-522213

Last edited:

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock

$$
Eve uses a system called time dilation where it tunes the server to slow down so actions can be carried out over a longer time as a way to compensate for increased traffic in a particular area. It's not so much lag as a game mechanic designed to allow for large scale battles to exist.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
When did the actual definition of a mmo change from thousands playing together to 150? 150 max players has never been an industry standard for mmo. Thats not something left to interpertation. Its an industry standard.
here's the deal....

Did the game have a bad launch? Yes, a lot of games do.
Is the game fun? Yes, very.
Is the game going to be fun with thousands of people all together in the same room/server/area? No.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Eve uses a system called time dilation where it tunes the server to slow down so actions can be carried out over a longer time as a way to compensate for increased traffic in a particular area. It's not so much lag as a game mechanic designed to allow for large scale battles to exist.
It's not so much lag as a game mechanic designed to allow for large scale battles to exist incorporate the lag.
FTFY
I mean, it is smart, but, that is the only way they can allow for larger battles.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
This as well. Point is mmos have scalability. Atlas does not
here's the deal....

Did the game have a bad launch? Yes, a lot of games do.
Is the game fun? Yes, very.
Is the game going to be fun with thousands of people all together in the same room/server/area? No.
Im not debating that at all. Im glad people are enjoying themselves. More or less im hating on the marketing practice of the game. If it was marketed as a dlc turned to it own game an upscaled to handle that i wouldnt have issues with it at all.

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
That is a fallacy.

What happens at Eve servers is that they are handling a 5000% workload, so the game goes 50 times slower. (example numbers)

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
That is a fallacy.

What happens at Eve servers is that they are handling a 5000% workload, so the game goes 50 times slower. (example numbers)
It's called time dilation, it's a mechanic worked into the game, it's not lag. https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Time_dilation
You are not completely wrong but my comment is most definitely not a fallacy. It is a response to increased workload, but it is a mechanic designed by the Devs, not the server node itself slowing down.

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
It's called time dilation, it's a mechanic worked into the game, it's not lag. https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Time_dilation
You are not completely wrong but my comment is most definitely not a fallacy. It is a response to increased workload, but it is a mechanic designed by the Devs, not the server node itself slowing down.
Wait, are you telling me that all ships and things gets slower? like, fliying at 1/4 of speed?

Forgot your password?