Atlas countdown!

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
If I end up getting the game (I too am going to wait and see the gameplay first) .... I will be playing on a PVP server for sure.
Supposedly the game will be $25 on release day, which isn't a huge risk in todays market so to be honest, I might snag it up regardless.

But yeah, we should definitely get a TEST squad going in Atlas, perhaps use our discord to coordinate gameplay together. I'm definitely IN!

Reactions: Bruttle

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I think I am just chilling out till Anthem comes, but I will keep an eye on this one.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Ouch. At first glance that looks very impressive. If you look at it a bit closer though, there's only about a dozen different islands. They're just copy/pasted in different locations and orientations. From what I can see, there's only one truly unique island. It's a little to the left of the exact center. I'm thinking that'll be the only custom created island, maybe starter area? I'll hold my opinion till I try it though. Honestly, with that many islands, I guess it would be unreasonable to expect each one to be "hand crafted".

EDIT: Actually, after looking at it again, it looks to be a 15x15 grid. Each section of the grid is different in some way. So if it's estimated to take around 30hrs real time to cross the map, that means that it'll take around 1hr to get from one island to the next. Even the islands that are relatively close together would take 30 minutes. The larger gaps would take closer to 2.5 hours. That's insane!
It is indeed insane. We will see just how variable each island will be from its neighbor.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I honestly expect the game to be pretty buggy regardless. Delays aren't an issue, just don't wait AFTER launch to do it all while pretending all went as planned. There was literally no explanation or apology in their tweet .... just a trailer with a new release date, as if the countdown was for nothing more than a delay. It was a PR stunt that backfired badly.
Meh, its their baby, they dont have to apologize for it or explain it if they dont want to.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Meh, its their baby, they dont have to apologize for it or explain it if they dont want to.
Of course they don't have to, but it's not a good look. The whole point of having a community management staff is to communicate with the community you are attempting to build. If you aren't willing to communicate, expect toxicity from the community. That's just how it is ....

I don't feel sorry for them one bit. Deception has become a huge problem in the gaming community, things like this only add fuel to the fire. Just be honest and most people will be fine with your decisions. Start being deceptive and people are going to sour. Human behavior 101.

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
expect toxicity from the community. That's just how it is ....
I think this is the real problem, the buildup of unrealistic expectations. The game isnt going to be officially released for a good 2 more years. This is just early access to help the devs work out all the kinks. Same concept can be applied to Star Citizen and all the flak it receives from the community for a game that is in alpha. It really breaks my heart that a community tends to lean toward the toxic side of things when we dont get our way or something unexpected happens.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Ya if this is just a early access and they told people that I don't expect anything if were a launch that people paid for its different. But yes communication always helps as well.

Reactions: Bruttle and Deroth

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
In case you all didnt know yet, we have in our TEST Discord server, a ATLAS channel with voice and text chat rooms.

Side note, there are approximately 637 islands on the map for Atlas, which one should we claim first!?

Reactions: Sraika and Bruttle

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I think this is the real problem, the buildup of unrealistic expectations.
The only thing people expect are what you tell them. Don't set launch dates and create fancy countdowns if you aren't sure you are ready. Seems pretty reasonable and simple. Again, they only have themselves to blame. Even if they thought they were ready but ran into trouble, a few simple tweets regarding issues would have curbed almost all negativity.

Instead they chose to remain silent nearly an hour after launch only to post a trailer that was promised days before hand and posted a new release date. If the PR staff didn't see what was coming, they need to find a new profession. Just not smart, by any measure of rationality or reason.

They would have been better off delaying Early Access until January or February after the initial delay IMHO. Hopefully they learn from the experience. The gaming climate is not as forgiving as it was when they launched Ark. Constant mishaps could absolutely ruin any shot the game has, and I for one would hate to see that.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
The only thing people expect are what you tell them. Don't set launch dates and create fancy countdowns if you aren't sure you are ready. Seems pretty reasonable and simple. Again, they only have themselves to blame. Even if they thought they were ready but ran into trouble, a few simple tweets regarding issues would have curbed almost all negativity.

Instead they chose to remain silent nearly an hour after launch only to post a trailer that was promised days before hand and posted a new release date. If the PR staff didn't see what was coming, they need to find a new profession. Just not smart, by any measure of rationality or reason.

They would have been better off delaying Early Access until January or February after the initial delay IMHO. Hopefully they learn from the experience. The gaming climate is not as forgiving as it was when they launched Ark. Constant mishaps could absolutely ruin any shot the game has, and I for one would hate to see that.
I guess I just see this differently than you do. Let's agree to disagree.

Reactions: Deroth and Bruttle

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
There is a big difference between lying, and being overly optimistic and trying your best to meet an unrealistic deadline.

Studio Wildcard, like CIG, is guilty of optimism but not of lying.

This is their second game. The first was handled the same - missing deadlines but still working very hard to develop the game as quickly as possible. Anybody who is upset with them is really just upset with themselves for not realizing the truth of the situation and then coming to such realization on hard terms.

Any amount of research whatsoever into the company should have convinced people that, not only is the game likely to be delayed, but it will be a buggy, laggy mess, which then gets fixed over days/weeks/months of early access testing. That is what happened with ARK, and it turned out to be a great game. This looks like ARK v2 so you should expect the same in this case IMO.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Most recent development from the devs on their discord server,

"Pathfinders, we expect early streaming of ATLAS to start this evening at approx 9:00 PM PST. Following that, the game will be ready for full Early Access Launch tomorrow by noon PST. We'll keep you updated should there be any changes. Thank you for your patience and support "

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
There is a big difference between lying, and being overly optimistic and trying your best to meet an unrealistic deadline.

This is their second game. The first was handled the same - missing deadlines but still working very hard to develop the game as quickly as possible. Anybody who is upset with them is really just upset with themselves for not realizing the truth of the situation and then coming to such realization on hard terms.

Any amount of research whatsoever into the company should have convinced people that, not only is the game likely to be delayed, but it will be a buggy, laggy mess, which then gets fixed over days/weeks/months of early access testing. That is what happened with ARK, and it turned out to be a great game. This looks like ARK v2 so you should expect the same in this case IMO.
I could not have said it better!

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
From my understanding, Steam doesn't allow for weekend releases. Expect another delay announcement tomorrow IMHO .... They really need to just stop setting dates .... yeesh.

Reactions: Deroth

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle

I think part of the issue is the culture that has developed around gaming. Once upon a time, gamers were a very forgiving bunch. We openly praised games despite their flaws. Over time though, some developers started taking advantage of that forgiveness. They twisted our faith and forgiveness into gullibility and stupidity. Pre-orders, microtransactions, DLC, "beta" access, and hype trains were advertised as amazing rewards but in reality, were just tactics deployed to gain access to our wallets.

Fast forward to today. Some developers build trust and some take advantage of it. The problem is, every time one developer builds some trust in the community, there are ten more waiting to take advantage of that trust. They both use the same words. They both make the same promises. It has become very difficult to tell the differences between them until after you have paid your money (unless you want to wait several weeks for the honest reviews to come out).

The industry has fallen to the point that if you want a day one experience, you have to roll the dice. As a result, many gamers have become bitter and cynical. Every time a game takes a turn from perfection, it rips the bandaid off the cuts that developers like EA and Bethesda gave us. It reminds us of the times that we were cheated out of our money. It turns people bitchy. I can't really blame them either. It just sucks to see it happening.

The important thing to remember, is that game developers are a company. They are in it for the profit. Gaming is not a charity and although they may be passionate and driven to make gaming a better place, they still want to make shit tons of money. So if they can make over 1 billion dollars in microtransactions in a year(looking at you Overwatch), they will take that opportunity. Wouldn't you?

Reactions: Deroth and Harkonan

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
No one forced them to announce the release or set a release date ... multiple times.

If you aren't ready to ship .... best not do things like below:

The comparisons to Star Citizen aren't even remotely similar. RSI has never set a hard launch date with a bunch of hype for S42 or SC. Grapeshot should learn from RSI and use the power of "Soon(tm)".

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
No one forced them to announce the release or set a release date ... multiple times.

If you aren't ready to ship .... best not do things like below:

The comparisons to Star Citizen aren't even remotely similar. RSI has never set a hard launch date with a bunch of hype for S42 or SC. Grapeshot should learn from RSI and use the power of "Soon(tm)".

I can't argue with that. It definitely could have been handled better. I know it is "early access" and technically not a release, but the hard truth is that people make plans based off statements like this. There is nothing more frustrating than arranging your schedule, taking days off, or just plain calling in sick, just to find out that they changed the date up at the last minute. There's really no excuse for that.

The bottom line is, if I followed the communication standards that the gaming industry holds as a norm, I would be divorced and unemployed right now.

Reactions: Harkonan

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
They absolutely could have handled it a lot better - I'm not trying to make excuses for them.

My point was mainly that I don't think they're actively trying to take advantage of people. Instead, they're trying their best to deliver, but their deadline was too ambitious.

The poster thing is funny. It just shows that once you set something in motion, like shipping physical media to places and telling them "put it up on X date!" is independent of the software team's ability to get all the bugs out by that same date.

Forgot your password?