Aurora LN: Pilot Advice Anyone?

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
Hey all. I'm piloting an Aurora LN (very poorly) in Arena Commander. Does anyone with Aurora experience, or just piloting experience in general, have any tips for a flight sim noob, including evasive and positioning maneuvers? I'm currently using mouse and keyboard, but I'm really thinking of investing in some CH products to make the experience a little better.
Thanks! Look forward to any responses!

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Hi Matt,

I have flown an LN for months using K&M with minimal problems. RSI has recently made some changes and you may find that Ctrl-C helps a lot. If not, try Right -Alt M.

I find that with a mouse, once I am within 800km I press M for Match speed. Then it is just practice to get the Pip lined up for your shots. It takes several hits these days and everything has been balanced.

As for evasion, strafing up, down, left or right sometimes works. Also, Roll/Yaw at the same time. This takes much practice and the players you are up againgst are very experienced. Even the Vanduul have been improved. Fire your Flares/Chaff when a missile relatively close and immediately do a strafe. Also, do not fire your missile until you are within 400/500km.

Remember, the LN has a top speed of 175km/sec. So do not fly in a straight line for very long.

It is a good idea at the beginning, with an ship, to ask someone to join you in Co-op Free Flight. This way you can maneuver and evade as much as you wish with just the 2 of you. We have used this for several months. It does not matter what ship your friend has if he/she is willing to assist you.

The LN is a good fighter for a starter ship. BTW, you can set all 4 weapons to fire with one button. (Advanced Configuration - Weapons)

Within a couple of hours, you will be pew pewing your heart out. I know someone that after a couple of hours of practice, made it to Wave 18 of VS several times by himself using an LN.

If I get some time this week I will try to help. At present, the system crashes too much for me to bother.

Have fun and enjoy.
CosmicTrader

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
I've enjoyed some success applying the lessons from the Legacy Instructional Series on YouTube. But really the best way to learn is to get out there and practice. Alot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8BRdZAUoJT6ZCy-6f_shXA

Oh and remember: DO NOT take combat too seriously right now. There are two main things working against you: #1 Suicide Missile Boat players are not playing the game as it will be in the final release. Secondly, CIG is constantly updating the flight model. Between these two, I don't even BDSSE anymore, really. Not until they introduce Death of a Spaceman, and finalize the flight model, at least. Not worth building muscle memory for the wrong stuff, ya know? I don't want to have to untrain myself & re-train later. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Good luck!

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Hey all. I'm piloting an Aurora LN (very poorly) in Arena Commander. Does anyone with Aurora experience, or just piloting experience in general, have any tips for a flight sim noob, including evasive and positioning maneuvers? I'm currently using mouse and keyboard, but I'm really thinking of investing in some CH products to make the experience a little better.
Thanks! Look forward to any responses!
1) Drink at least 4 beers(or beverage of your choice)
2) Upon spawning, make a run for the nearest large chunk of rock or scrap metal and hide behind it.
3) Pop up and get a missile lock on some poor slob with all 4 missiles and fire away.
4) Your missiles will miss, try not to whimper like a little girl too much. Run away and find another rock to hide behind, because you have just made at least one new friend who wants to play with you.
5) When your new friend finally catches you, turn toward him, accelerate, yell, and in the immortal words of Steppenwolf, "fire all of your guns at once and explode into space".
I'm only being partially facetious here, because I've flown and fought with almost everything SC has, and I always get my ass handed to me. Which is why I'm going to fly cargo and exploration! The longest I've ever stayed alive is in a Gladius matching speed with the opponent within 1000m, and locked in an endless circular dance of death, strafing up and down, left and right while pointing at him at all times. Chop away at his shields with lasers, if his shields drop first, hit him with short bursts of ballistics, but conserve your ammo because these ships seem very tough even with shields down, unless it's MY ship! Good luck.

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
Wow, great advice everyone, and much quicker responses than I was anticipating!

@CosmicTrader: Incredibly helpful. I was actually just watching some of this guy's youtube videos and discovered the usefulness of ctrl+c, which I was completely unaware of. Also multiple weapons on one button it really useful in the LN!

@NeoHelios_SC: Yes! practice makes perfect, I've been practicing quick maneuvering through asteroid fields and tight turns around larger asteroids using decoupling as well for evasive action. I agree though, I guess I shouldn't get too concerned until everything is in a more finalized form.

@honcho12: haha thianks for the support, good to know I'm not the only one out there struggling a bit.

@Carlos Spicyweiner: you my friend, make me lol heartily! I'm glad to be in a community of folk like you, sir. I'll keep practicing and hopefully I'll be able to follow your five steps, perhaps accompanied by a couple additional brews in step 1 ;)

Thanks for the advice lovely people!

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
holy shit boys, just made it to wave 11 of VS, my previous attempts landed me at wave 4... utilizing ctrl+c, setting all four lasers to mouse 1, and imbibing at least three brews was a game changer, watch out verse, Captain Cascio is a comin

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
Also I've decided that the missiles on the LN are utterly useless

Reactions: Carlos Spicyweiner

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
holy shit boys, just made it to wave 11 of VS, my previous attempts landed me at wave 4... utilizing ctrl+c, setting all four lasers to mouse 1, and imbibing at least three brews was a game changer, watch out verse, Captain Cascio is a comin
Well done!
See, I told you that you would be Pew Pewing in no time.
Wave 11 by yourself and in an LN is quite an accomplishment.

At present, the Tempest IIs are the best missiles. However, that will probably change. Ha. Ha.

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
Taken the LN for a ride on the racetracks a few times. Definitely a ship with more character than the current point and go nature of the true racers. If you're having trouble steering her, keep Comstab on and don't be afraid to utilize the space brake.

murphinaytor

Captain
Nov 8, 2015
RSI Handle
murphinator
Practicing in Spectrum / public matches will earn you REC whether you are the worst pilot like me or you actually get a few kills. I do this so I can rent ships and equipment for free. With a fat wallet of REC you can experiment with your own loadouts. I really like testing loadouts on the field better than actual pvp.

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
Practicing in Spectrum / public matches will earn you REC whether you are the worst pilot like me or you actually get a few kills. I do this so I can rent ships and equipment for free. With a fat wallet of REC you can experiment with your own loadouts. I really like testing loadouts on the field better than actual pvp.
About that... (noob q) I recently used some REC to buy a rom for the panther repeater, but how do you use them?? It's been sitting in my hangar waiting to be mounted...

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
Wow I'm an idiot... Just figured it out, very simple...

And further idiotic because that gun doesn't fit on the LN lol

Reactions: honcho12

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
Finally getting some kills in spectrum matches! Only thing is my game keeps freezing every few matches. Anyone else encounter this, or know if it's a server issue?

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
EDIT 12/10/2015: This advice may be obsolete as of recent patches. Take it with a grain of salt. For example I still aim while zoomed in, but the Vanduul are better about evasive flying when close to boundaries. Although with the impending release of AC 2.0 (mini-PU) there won't BE any boundaries. At any rate, fly safe!

I just finished about an hour of play between Super Hornet and Merlin. SH has gimbals, and Merlin does not. I play with MKB. I seem to be having a MUCH easier time with the new flight model, and I think the Vanduul are still "getting used to it" (ie. very predictable movements).

One thing that I experimented with much more than my previous bouts is the cockpit ZOOM feature (default = mouse scroll where). While matching speed, and ZOOMED in, I (don't laugh) kind of felt like a surgeon slicing off various parts: wings... actually aiming for the cockpit... etc. My hit accuracy greatly improved.

On top of that, I managed to stay behind the Vanduul more easily by making sure that little "dotted line" (their actual direction of flight?) stayed vertical, 12 o'clock position, as much as possible by rolling my craft. This made my maneuvering thrusters keep up with the tight turns more easily since I was always "leaning into the turn" so to speak; I was pretty much always on their six. I constantly got that new "untouchable" bonus that shows up when you kill stuff, now. I also gently used my lateral (left / right) thrusters to fine tune my aim rather than mouse yaw for minor adjustments. Took a little getting used to, but it feels like I can get more accuracy with this technique.

Additionally, I seemed to have more accurate shots on target when (ZOOMED in...) aiming NOT for the center dot of the lead pip, but where the circle of the lead pip actually crosses that flight path dotted line I mentioned before (I use the "lead" pip ahead of the enemy craft--not the "trailing" pip that draws a line from my crosshairs). Imagine slicing a pizza in half, and aiming for the "corner" farthest away from the ship. Let me emphasize that when zoomed all the way in, this intersection can equal quite a bit of difference compared to the center dot of the lead pip. A pilot might even get greater accuracy if using the "look" feature (default "L"), but I didn't experiment with this, very much.

Lastly, a benefit of keeping the flight path dotted line in the 12'oclock position means that the target will usually be a sort of top-down ("larger") profile for laying on hits, as opposed to a smaller cross-section of hitting something when you are on his 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock.

I hope all this kind of makes sense. Bottom line: things were much easier using these tricks, and I hope this helps you guys and gals, too!

Oh and don't forget to strafe and roll when under fire / jousting. Since Vanduul are programmed to aim for "their" version of the pip, it completely screws up their aiming solution when you are moving in all three dimensions like that.

A word of caution: this was strictly with Vanduul swarm. I'm not suggesting that these tactics work in Spectrum. Maybe they will.. Maybe not. Just saying, don't necessarily expect the same results I did, here, if you apply these techniques to PvP.

Super last word (sorry): I thought I also noticed a bit of a trick with the AI. If you "lure" a Vanduul ship really close to the border, it seems like they spend a few seconds flying straight away from it to put some distance between them and the border. They don't seem to take evasive action during this time and make really easy targets. Maybe that would be a (exploit'ish) way of getting some easy kills. I didn't spend much time validating it to a huge extent, but at least 3-4 times it seems as if this were the case. Just a thought; let me know if YOU try it what happens.

Okay I'm done; good luck out there! o7

Last edited:

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
Taken the LN for a ride on the racetracks a few times. Definitely a ship with more character than the current point and go nature of the true racers. If you're having trouble steering her, keep Comstab on and don't be afraid to utilize the space brake.
Only point and go Racer I know of is the Limited edition racer R9 - mustang Omega. The 350 is ast top end being 30m/s more, but takes 2-3x longer to reach top speed, and is slow like a wide boat when turning (IMO) even with boost running. The Omega.. is the onyl point and click... but I wonder if the M50 is the same - haven't tried it in awhile.,

Matt Cascio

Space Marshal
Nov 15, 2015
RSI Handle
illvibes
Well, I caved and upgraded to a Freelancer DUR everyone! Part of me is really stoked and the other part is worried about my use of personal finances lol. But in any case I'll now have to learn to fly a new ship when 2.0 comes out... and I just got used to the LN...

Reactions: War Pig

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
You'll wanna get that Aurora back in your fleet whenever it's financially viable. Having a starter is always a good thing to have, especially the Aurora LN. When the PU drops, they will respawn the quickest if you screw the pooch. They are also great for low key high risk cargo runs. Besides, what will you use to blot out the Sun?

Forgot your password?