Auto aim gimbals coming in 3.5?

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I dont see a need for this.

Gimbals already make it too easy for mouse players now we are going to have self aiming gimbals so they dont even have to try at all!

I jest ofcourse, however i hope a considerable increase in ship durabilty comes with it, as automated gimbals work in Elite because player ships are absolute tanks, you think a Hammerhead is tough, an Imperial Cutter could take a whole wing of Hammerheads without breaking a sweat. Ship weapons in Elie also have *sizeable* damage penalties for usimg gimbals over fixed, and even further penalties for auto turrets.

Player ships in SC however pop like balloons at the slightest sniff or a laser blast, auto gimbals will make combat even worse.

sovapid

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2018
RSI Handle
sovapid
I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. Could let more casual players be effective against NPC's. Auto aim should be at a disadvantage against players who are aiming on there own though. Depends how it all fits together and is balanced.

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
I'm not likely to ever be an ace fighter/gunner, so this will be helpful for me, when dealing space trash/rats. People with skill should absolutely have an edge over me in a fight. I'll just make sure I'm always in a cap ship with hefty shields :D

Reactions: Deroth

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
I'm not horrible, at best I might be a bit above average. But that is not the skill needed to stay alive when facing a squad or someone who is exceptional!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I thought I would be a good fight pilot, but after a few hundred hours in Arena Commander getting my ass handed to me, I realized Im just not that good!
You do realise that the entire flight model and in particular arena commander is TOTALLY FUCT at the mo. right? In my experience if you struggle to kill a pirate aurora in AC then your doing well :smile: This is the advice I give all my webinar students, as long as they keep paying.....

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
This could simply expand the hitbox for less skilled players. Instead of a 1/4 inch target on the screen, I can get a half inch hitbox, or 3/4 inch hitbox. It will still take skill, but allow those that have less skill to hit more often with a lower sized weapon. Those that are more skilled will be able to use bigger weapons and hit harder.

It still promotes skill based gameplay, but no longer will gimbals be limited to mouse/keyboard players, but will actually be of use to players that use a joystick or gamepad.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
It still promotes skill based gameplay, but no longer will gimbals be limited to mouse/keyboard players, but will actually be of use to players that use a joystick or gamepad.
I agree, this is supposed to be a space sim after all. If you want to say "imerssive space sim", then most folks will want to use setups that involve sticks. Tracking with a mouse to shoot, is similar to the advantage in FPS where you got people tracking with a mouse vs a gamepad. I'm not saying you are wrong to use one over the other, it just comes down to the experience you want to have while playing.

Forgot your password?