Base Building

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
I wonder what kind of strategies that we can use to optimize profit and defensibility for bases. Besides location location location what other strategies might we utilize given how little we know about the system at this time.

For example, there will be 3 types of bases that can be build (Hight Risk, Moderate Risk, and Low Risk). Might it be beneficial to surround a High Risk operation with several Moderate or even Low Risk bases? Would this provide some level of protection from ground based attacks (i.e., tank fire)? Might this strategy also cause some confusion with air attacks as some firepower might be concentrated on Low Risk buildings that might incur less damage?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I wonder what kind of strategies that we can use to optimize profit and defensibility for bases. Besides location location location what other strategies might we utilize given how little we know about the system at this time.

For example, there will be 3 types of bases that can be build (Hight Risk, Moderate Risk, and Low Risk). Might it be beneficial to surround a High Risk operation with several Moderate or even Low Risk bases? Would this provide some level of protection from ground based attacks (i.e., tank fire)? Might this strategy also cause some confusion with air attacks as some firepower might be concentrated on Low Risk buildings that might incur less damage?
Personally, something that I have expressed to a few CIG devs during Bar Citizen events that they have attended when that topic came up in the past, was that I'm hoping that eventually, CIG will allow us to construct bases underground, similar to how the underground bunkers are, but in a way that allows us to set up its design however we want. The tradeoffs being that while it will be much more difficult to locate & attack, it'll also be far more difficult, expensive & time consuming to construct. I even suggested that I'd love to take all of the rocks & soil displaced by the installation of the base components & use that to further cover over the exterior of the base. Using the back entrance access door of the shield generator building from Return of the Jedi as an example. While they gave me no response of whether or not that has been considered, they thought that would be a cool idea.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
I wonder if, in the future, some base building features can be centered inside a distribution center, a city skyscraper, or perhaps an Orison platform? All purchased or rented out by an org. That would be a blast to attack or defend such a site, and utilize as a location for some elicit drug/gun running or whatever.

Distribution centers are supposed to have a subterranean component to them, so maybe you could even do underground mining at such a location?

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage

High, medium and low risk bases will be dependent on what planet and or system you build them on, you don't get to select what risk level a base is when you construct it so for instance Pyro will be a high risk, Stanton medium risk and Terra will be a low risk.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
High, medium and low risk bases will be dependent on what planet and or system you build them on, you don't get to select what risk level a base is when you construct it so for instance Pyro will be a high risk, Stanton medium risk and Terra will be a low risk.
Selecting the location, is still a choice. lols You're entirely correct about the location helping dictate the initial level of risk, though I also suspect that there will also be security type services that will be able to be hired to lessen the risk, but I'm sure that those will be increasingly costly based on initial risk levels.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
Oh, I interpreted that the player could choose to have a high, medium, or low risk based on their gameplay style and how much reward vs risk they were comfortable with...and that they could put the chosen base type wherever they wanted?

I guess that makes sense that the safety level of a base would be largely dependent upon the system or planet the base was placed on. This would encourage systems or planets to have gameplay that is more or less heavily focused on PVP or PVE.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• o7

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
Selecting the location, is still a choice. lols You're entirely correct about the location helping dictate the initial level of risk, though I also suspect that there will also be security type services that will be able to be hired to lessen the risk, but I'm sure that those will be increasingly costly based on initial risk levels.
We can only go with what they stated any additional protection will be added by the player in the for of defence turrets and shields.

• o7

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
Personally, something that I have expressed to a few CIG devs during Bar Citizen events that they have attended when that topic came up in the past, was that I'm hoping that eventually, CIG will allow us to construct bases underground, similar to how the underground bunkers are, but in a way that allows us to set up its design however we want. The tradeoffs being that while it will be much more difficult to locate & attack, it'll also be far more difficult, expensive & time consuming to construct. I even suggested that I'd love to take all of the rocks & soil displaced by the installation of the base components & use that to further cover over the exterior of the base. Using the back entrance access door of the shield generator building from Return of the Jedi as an example. While they gave me no response of whether or not that has been considered, they thought that would be a cool idea.
In the below SuperMacBrother video he discusses a recent Bar Citizen where they indicated that players may be able to establish bases within a cave. Not exactly what you described but I thought you might find this interesting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yWXRbAUbY8

• Glorious

Foible

Space Marshal
Sep 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Foible
I do wonder where Test Squadron will designate as its "Home Planet" and will its members be able to choose plots close by to build their bases. For time protection and operation of those bases will be quite manpower intensive and I really don't know if players really want to spend 24/7 standing guard and defending a base.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
I do wonder where Test Squadron will designate as its "Home Planet" and will its members be able to choose plots close by to build their bases. For time protection and operation of those bases will be quite manpower intensive and I really don't know if players really want to spend 24/7 standing guard and defending a base.
That's a really good question. I suppose that may depend greatly on what is playable upon release but it certainly doesn't hurt to dream a bit. Maybe some of our old timers might have a thought or two on what planet, moon...or even system would be fun to build on.

I don't know how things might play out, but I kind of imagine creating essentially a small city of many multiple land claims all next to one another. Kind of consolidating power as it were. Centralizing bases largely in one location may make it easier to defend than many multiple smaller locations throughout the verse? Dunno, but doing this might create a more enticing target - attracting all kinds of scum and villainy. Manpower to defend is a concern regardless of location I suspect.

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
That's a really good question. I suppose that may depend greatly on what is playable upon release but it certainly doesn't hurt to dream a bit. Maybe some of our old timers might have a thought or two on what planet, moon...or even system would be fun to build on.

I don't know how things might play out, but I kind of imagine creating essentially a small city of many multiple land claims all next to one another. Kind of consolidating power as it were. Centralizing bases largely in one location may make it easier to defend than many multiple smaller locations throughout the verse? Dunno, but doing this might create a more enticing target - attracting all kinds of scum and villainy. Manpower to defend is a concern regardless of location I suspect.
As somebody that hopes to have very high amount of rep with the Banu, I plan on having 1 of my future bases in a Banu system somewhere, which will hopefully allow me to further facilitate those of TEST Squadron with a place to sell their goods to the Banu at negotiable prices, regardless of proof of ownership being on hand, because unless the items are stolen from the Banu, they only care about getting the best deal possible for themselves, from what I understand. Which should provide me a bit of security in the form of attacking that base would screw the attacker over themselves.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Em, you’re familiar with the fact the Banu are slavers, yes? You should expect all sorts of negative consequences for palling around with them. Lots of Bounty Hunters will be hunting slavers inside UEE space and that will sometimes spill over. Slavery is the UEE equivalent of “hive of scum and villainy” same as Hutt space. So in short, hanging with the Banu will put a target on your back with many hunters.

During the first years of the Abolitionist Movement, the Brits hunted slaving ships all around the world and quite righteously disposed of the slavers and pressed their ships into His Majesty’s service. Friends of the Banu should expect the same treatment. Everyone who wants to play pirate but on the right side of the law (“privateer”) is going to be trying to relieve you of your ship.

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The Banu also do a bit of trading with the Vanduul. My hope is that in working with building positive trade relations with the Banu for the glory of TEST, I can also gain access to information about the Vanduul, which I can then forward to the UEE to assist with protecting humanity. I understand that bounty hunters might look at me sideways, but if they are wise, they'll choose to work with me to help make their information gathering of wanted criminals easier for them. Selling to all sides, is a Banu tradition, so I believe I'll fit in with them. Also, not all slaves possessed by the Banu were forced into it, many are indentured servants. Which once their debts are paid off, they are free to do as they please.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I also once theorized that the BMM can be used by a group of bounty hunters as a mobile sting operation base. House a Blue in the bay, invite a dozen or so wanted criminals in to check out contraband items, the "clerks" (BH) zap them with non-lethal weapons & fill up the prisoner pods for the Blue to depart & be replaced with another to draw in another round of captures.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I, personally, see no reason to spend time and resources building a base in a space game where travel time is a serious consideration. It feels more like a resource sink. What might seem like a good location today, might not be one tomorrow. Until we know how interstellar travel time is going to work, looking at locations for bases and base building is obviously very early days.

Having said that, I see no reason why a "Base" can't be a bunker liberated from squatters or criminals, or a derelict mining facility, or a abandoned drug lab, or a derelict crashed ship, perhaps a Javelin. In a fairly settled system like Stanton there is lots of empty land, lots of wrecks on the surface, plenty of bunkers that aren't properly owned by a legitimate entity, etc. Starting from scratch on empty ground seems like a waste of time. :)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I gotta second the above. It may well turn out once the game opens, Montoya provides us a grand vision that includes territorial politics, opportunities for homesteading, etc. Some who have base-like accommodations (Liberator, Polaris, Kracken, Idris, Javelin, etc.) may eschew a “base” entirely. Many newcomers may want berths on such vessels because that’s where they’re participating. Some may decide they want more roots and take advantage of unique TEST offerings. We could after all take the entire planet of Leir and all it’s unique technology if that’s what is chosen. We could pioneer Vanduul worlds. There are precious few things we couldn’t do as the largest org in game. In light of that I do recommend against making too many plans.

• o7

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
It will depend on the individual player as everyone will have their own goals and with only being allowed to have one land claim at a time players will chose what is best for their playstyle and what type of base they want to own, having Test outposts offering services spread through all systems would be more beneficial to the org in my opinion.
I would also take a guess that Test will be spread across many shards as large as it is since we know there will not be a single shard for the game in every region.

Forgot your password?