Bed login question

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
So in general I'm only to successfully log back in to a bed I logged out from about, oh, 60% of the time. This recently brought up a related but different question regarding logging back into a bed for me which is thus. If I log out on someone else's ship, then later while I'm offline the ship gets destroyed, the owner reclaims/respawns that ship, logs back out of its bed, and then we log in again together, should I spawn back in with him on the 'new' ship, still same model/owner as I last logged out, or does the database keep more individual track of the fact that this is a different asset than the one I logged out of, and instead kick me back to my home location?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The outcome of that would probably be you log into the same bed as your friend 30%of the time (not asking questions), and into some random ship 30% of the time, and cause a server crash the other 30% of the time. There is 10% missing - it's in the stack of boxes on the ground over there blocking access to the elevator.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The outcome of that would probably be you log into the same bed as your friend 30%of the time (not asking questions), and into some random ship 30% of the time, and cause a server crash the other 30% of the time. There is 10% missing - it's in the stack of boxes on the ground over there blocking access to the elevator.
This is what happens. But from the technical implementation you should log in from the hospital as the ship you logged out from is unique and no longer exists. Most of the time I find myself just logging back in at the hotel room from the last landing site I visited. The last thing to know is even if your friends ship is not destroyed you'll not log back into it unless it's currently in game.

One thing to keep in mind that summoning a new ship creates a new ship asset in-game and the act of logging out saves that asset and everything inside of it to the player database. This is the only database currently and for the foreseeable future that all servers pull from and sometimes are successful writing to.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This is the only database currently and for the foreseeable future that all servers pull from sometimes are successful writing to.
I haven't had any issues with this lately, 2 or 3 weeks... It was kind of weird because the database would survive a change of server, but not a log out.
Fortunately, for the most part it's working now.

Symptom is an indication that they were having problems with some database commits somewhere in the pipeline.

Reactions: Ayeteeone

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
An interesting question.. not sure if it can be tested empirically because the backend isn't reliable enough, nor is the system complete, and the whole thing will be replaced by PES.

@Bambooza answer is probably the best from a technical standpoint, but @Vavrik 's is worthy of Evocati status -

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza
Forgot your password?