Best package for someone to just get into the game with

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So I've been thinking over the past week or so, SQ42 is going to be coming out relatively soon (I did say relatively) and when I start playing it my significant other is probably going to take more of an interest. It occurs to me that maybe I should have a game package that I can gift to her that would give her access to SQ42 and the PU with a decent ship if she does decide she wants to try it out. Now, we've been playing MMO's together since Star Wars Galaxies so she has at least some idea of what a sandbox game can be like. She'd be using a mouse and kb and is also used to tab targeting, so the gimbal assist should be of help as she gets used to having to actually target things. She is definitely not going to be crazy about the whole open pvp aspect, neither am I to be honest, but at least there will be safe systems so she'd probably spend a majority of time there. She currently plays a lot of Lord of the Rings so quests are an important aspect. Now, I haven't done any missions at all in the alpha but I assume they're your typical "go kill x number of baddies" or "go collect x and bring it back" type missions. I personally could be happy with a game session if I only had an hour or two and decided to spend it hauling cargo or mining. She usually maxes out her crafting professions in the games she plays but I don't think she'd want to get a ship where that is the primary focus of it's role. And ideally it would be something that she can handle by herself or with minimal NPC crew, she generally has a lot more free time then me so she'd be soloing a lot if she ends up liking the game. The question is, what game package (including ones that I might have to go to the grey market for) would be best for someone like that?

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
First and foremost, for us being TEST, we must always and forever have an Aurora somewhere. That being said, I'm in the same mindset as the 2 posts above for newer players to recommend the Avenger Titan firstly and if you want something a bit more costly but a step up get the Cutlass Black.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
If your going to be playing with your significant other, Then you two will most likely be playing together. If this is the case i would recommend just a Aurora MR starter, since you two will most likely be working together in a ship.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I'd be playing with her when I have a chance but she honestly plays games a lot more than I do, she has more time. So if she does try the game she'd be playing at least half the time solo so a ship that wouldn't need a lot of npcs would be helpful.

At the moment I have an extra LTI Arrow game package that I could CCU to a cutlass black or something else but it doesn't have SQ 42. Does anyone know if just the SQ 42 portion of a package is giftable? Like will they be giving you separate game codes with the packages? Because I'll have 4 game packages that came with SQ 42 and if I can just give her a code for that then that could work.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Depends on how much you're wanting to spend and how efficiently you want to do so.

If trying to keep costs down while being as efficient as possible then the Aurora MR + SQ42 package is probably the best option. If you expect her time invested in the game will be more substantial and willing to put in more then CCUing that package to either an Avenger Titan or Cutlass (variant you expect would most appeal to her) is what I would recommend (and what I have been considering doing if my wife ever shows any interest in SC.)

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
@SoloFlyer I recommend you wait. Sometimes CIG sells bundles, like Aurora+SQ42, or Mustang+SQ42, and you can save $10 or $20.

Since the game isn't out now, there really isn't any point in buying right now. (Boo! Hiss! Down the the heresy!)

Seriously though, wait for a bundle, and buy that. Then later on if she wants something more/different than a starter pack, you can apply the saved money toward whatever upgrade she thinks she might best enjoy.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
ok, I found a post that is old as all get out. RSI Multiple Package Clarification Some of this info is outdated, like the references to Voyager Direct, but I don't know what is still accurate. The post seems to say that you can split up the digital parts of your packages and gift them to friends, but I'm not sure if this is only the extra character slots or what. If I'm going to have access to SQ 42 and other digital stuff four times over, it'd be nice if I could gift or sell the extras of just that portion that I don't need.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'd be playing with her when I have a chance but she honestly plays games a lot more than I do, she has more time. So if she does try the game she'd be playing at least half the time solo so a ship that wouldn't need a lot of npcs would be helpful.

At the moment I have an extra LTI Arrow game package that I could CCU to a cutlass black or something else but it doesn't have SQ 42. Does anyone know if just the SQ 42 portion of a package is giftable? Like will they be giving you separate game codes with the packages? Because I'll have 4 game packages that came with SQ 42 and if I can just give her a code for that then that could work.
The answer is, yes, you can purchase a SQ42 package & later gift it to another player's account. I myself have done that very thing a while back for a friend.

@SoloFlyer I recommend you wait. Sometimes CIG sells bundles, like Aurora+SQ42, or Mustang+SQ42, and you can save $10 or $20.

Since the game isn't out now, there really isn't any point in buying right now. (Boo! Hiss! Down the the heresy!)

Seriously though, wait for a bundle, and buy that. Then later on if she wants something more/different than a starter pack, you can apply the saved money toward whatever upgrade she thinks she might best enjoy.
This is wisdom even if not popular by some. I would advise either waiting for a new concept starter pack to be offered to then add in SQ42 with it for her, OR wait until the anniversary sale when you can often get the starter packs at a discounted prices with much longer insurance lengths & since it would be her account's 1st package she should be able to apply the SQ42 to the package for a discounted price as well.

Forgot your password?