Birth of a mystery (part 2)

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
This will be the second party of my story, still digging into the past of my character. I've always been a firm believer that knowing the past of the protagonist gives you a better connection to said character. It also helps to understand why he'll make certain choices down the road. This part continues where the last one stopped, with Valdör talking about raising Dygon. Again, any and all constructive criticism is welcomed.

Stepping up.

"Upon arriving home I realized that I didn't really have any of the tools needed to take care of a baby. I made a crib out of scrap parts I had lying around. I decided, it would probably be best to remove a couple of spearheads from the poles I decided to use as part of the crib.
After looking around for hours on end, I finally found the top half of a discarded baby bottle, just what I needed!

"You cried for hours on end the first couple of days. Though you did get settled in after that. At that young age of 2 you already showed a healthy curiosity towards the outside world. For me that indicated that you'd make a fine explorer some day, just like me.

"Many uneventful years passed, but then, when you were 15. Things changed on our little sheltered planet. A mining company arrived. Where once crystal blue fresh water flowed from the many natural streams, now brown, highly acidic water ran. The lush green forest and it's many natural inhabitants disappeared as well. The pollution produced by the never ending search for wealth by the mining company turned this once fertile planet into a brown harsh environment, much like the planet where I found you.

"With all the destruction the mining company brought, they also brought people with them, and commerce soon followed. Shops popped up left and right, same as bars seeing as people working the mines needed a place to relax after a hard days work. This was something that was entirely new to you, and you took a keen interest in exploring this urban jungle, where you once explored the real jungle.

"Though this jungle had dangers of it's own. The miners who frequented the bars were rough folk. Bar brawls were a nightly event. Usually fights would break out over somebody calling out another for cheating in a game of chance, or fighting over a woman, even though the mining women were not something to fight over, in my opinion.

"You were always very facinated by the miners "adventurous folk" you'd always say. In a way, I suppose you were right. Miners went from planet to planet, getting whatever resources they could, but with no respect for the local inhabitants. You also made this distinction, but nevertheless were curious to hear the stories of where they'd been.

"One day, when you were 17, you came home very excited. You told me you'd met Major Danson an officer for the UEE. He'd told you about all the battles he was in, how he lost his arm in combat, but got a shiny replacement paid for by the UEE and it was working better then his real arm! You'd never seen a prosthetic and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. You, in turn, had told Major Danson about how I'd schooled you in the ways of exploration. How I'd thought you everything on how to fly a 315p,and how to leverage it's equipment to your best use. How to spot a jumppoint by the refraction of particles. Of course I knew I did a good job. I got my education from the best in the business, and I was glad to hear those skills were anything but outdated.

"After you'd met him you spend many a days away from home. Talking with Danson almost daily, and drinking is well.

Things moved quickly afterwards. Danson agreed to take you on as a scout, seeing the potential in you that I saw. I spoke to Danson briefly to let him know that I'd much appreciate it if he'd keep me posted on your progress. Danson was glad to see that I had a keen interested and agreed to do just that..."

The next installment will finally be taking place in current time, with my character taking on the lead!

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Just as great a read as Part #1.
Looking forward to Part #3.

btw - I like the addition of a 315P. One of my favorite ships.

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
Thanks. You'll be hearing a lot more of the 315p later on. Seeing as it's my ship :), and also, imo, the best one man explorationship there is. That's what I'm sure I'm going to love about this game. Your ship is kinda your...everything! It's your home, your transport, your protection, your livelihood. It should play a pretty central role in any story I think

Reactions: CosmicTrader
Forgot your password?