Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
Repost from general chat:

im gonna say this once and only once out of love:

as a person who doesn't block others at all, i dont understand it in fact i have strong opinions on why we shouldnt block people let alone the block button not existing because of what it promotes.

however, for the sake of TEST, we should avoid blocking active TEST mains in the community, if you tried to explain your issue with xyz person before you block them thats fine, but you should never block/mute people who are actively in VC with you, in the same event as you, etc..

if you dont want to hear someone move to another channel, and address it later with mods.

im not a mod myself, but i am a friend of most of you, please be considerate of people

please dont make this a riot, thanks.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
In general, the mute button is a handy feature sometimes on Discord.

We are an org of 20k+ members, some people will not be friends with everyone and will choose to mute some also. It is a personnal choice, which does not affect your ability to speak to others, and will allow everyone in the same channel still.

I do not see this as a problem personnaly.
If people are blocking or muting someone, maybe there is a reason behind this?

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987

We are an org of 20k+ members, some people will not be friends with everyone and will choose to mute some also. It is a personnal choice, which does not affect your ability to speak to others, and will allow everyone in the same channel still.

yes, i see that it is handy, and people have a right to use it, me personally i wish people wouldnt.

and yes people will always get access to TEST channels so long as they arent banned from the community, which personally throughout the years I've seen very few bans

i see this as a request, not a must in my book, follow it or dont, i wont think any less of you or anyone else should i be blocked, i just want our community to be a happier place

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I see this as more of a context thing.
I've never felt the need to block anyone in TEST, but in other games I have needed to block/mute people in voice chat as they were nothing but disruptive, negative, and were actively harassing others. Most were eventually removed/banned by a moderator/admin, but when you're in the middle of doing things with others the last thing you want to deal with is someone screaming like a banshee and blabbering non-sense, and even channel hoping to continue the harassment.
Now, blocking or muting someone because 'I don't like them' even though you're participating in an event with them is just...well...silly and disruptive. If you dislike them that much, just bow out of the event instead of being an obstacle to everybody else. Alternatively, engage with them during the event, might just find out that whatever your petty differences with them are really don't matter and you might even make a friend. If instead they decide to act the fool, then trust in the moderators/event leaders to deal with them appropriately.

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
I see this as more of a context thing.
I've never felt the need to block anyone in TEST, but in other games I have needed to block/mute people in voice chat as they were nothing but disruptive, negative, and were actively harassing others. Most were eventually removed/banned by a moderator/admin, but when you're in the middle of doing things with others the last thing you want to deal with is someone screaming like a banshee and blabbering non-sense, and even channel hoping to continue the harassment.
Now, blocking or muting someone because 'I don't like them' even though you're participating in an event with them is just...well...silly and disruptive. If you dislike them that much, just bow out of the event instead of being an obstacle to everybody else. Alternatively, engage with them during the event, might just find out that whatever your petty differences with them are really don't matter and you might even make a friend. If instead they decide to act the fool, then trust in the moderators/event leaders to deal with them appropriately.
I whole heartedly agree with this and that’s exactly why I made this post, the sentiment here.

thank you for seeing my point :)

i made this post to encourage reason and resolution, not just blocking out people they don’t like.

your piece on disruption was well said to, absolutely take to another channel and alert a mod if that happens.

I appreciate your input!

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Some people are also bright flames, extremely "prolific", which is also bordering disruption at such scale, when they start to corner you. Most of the time they do not realise that themselves.

Being invasive, or being constantly interrupting or monologuing, is as disruptive as a negative behaviour, even if the intention was not negative.

Amun Khonsu

Captain
Donor
Jan 28, 2022
RSI Handle
Amun-Khonsu
I've only blocked on person on Discord ever and I couldnt even tell you why. But, If I blocked him, he had it coming.

Personally, I think anyone who blocks, should not block an Admin or Moderator, or Event Lead ever. That should be bannable.

They also should bow out of a channel running an event rather than block participants, because many events rely on verbal group communication and blocking a person there could exacerbate the situation affecting everyone trying to participate.

Beyond that, block whomever.

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
I've only blocked on person on Discord ever and I couldnt even tell you why. But, If I blocked him, he had it coming.

Personally, I think anyone who blocks, should not block an Admin or Moderator, or Event Lead ever. That should be bannable.

They also should bow out of a channel running an event rather than block participants, because many events rely on verbal group communication and blocking a person there could exacerbate the situation affecting everyone trying to participate.

Beyond that, block whomever.
while i do think it is a harsh opinion on the banning piece, i agree with this, blocking an admin/mod is a big no no and as you said blocking an event lead is especially disruptive

as for what vahadar said,

Some people are also bright flames, extremely "prolific", which is also bordering disruption at such scale, when they start to corner you. Most of the time they do not realise that themselves.

Being invasive, or being constantly interrupting or monologuing, is as disruptive as a negative behaviour, even if the intention was not negative.
some of these characteristics you have described fit how others have described me in the past, i appreciate your input and am working on said quirks, patience is something i struggle with and is a big life skill im working on, thank you for being vocal though even if not directed at me, i always welcome critiques of me and how i can improve.

Athyrah

Captain
Dec 2, 2021
RSI Handle
Athyrah
As we know, TEST is a large organization with a diverse membership of over 20,000 people. This means that there are bound to be instances where personality types clash. In response to a recent post discouraging blocking and muting in TEST, I would like to offer an alternative perspective.

Firstly, it's important to recognize that everyone has their own reasons for muting or blocking someone, and sometimes it's necessary for personal wellbeing. For example, if there are 10 people in an event or voice chat, and one individual becomes disruptive or bothersome, it is entirely valid for a member to mute that person. This helps maintain a positive environment for everyone else and allows the affected member to remain engaged with their friends and the event.

Rather than telling people they cannot mute or block others, we should consider the broader implications. It might be that muting someone can help prevent a heated confrontation, resulting in a more peaceful and enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

However, I do agree that moderators, admins, and event coordinators should never be muted. If any issues arise with these individuals, it's best to address the situation by reaching out to another mod, admin, or event coordinator.

In conclusion, while we should strive for open communication and understanding within TEST, it's important to recognize that not everyone will get along all the time. The ability to mute or block others can be an essential tool in managing these situations and ensuring everyone can enjoy the community to the fullest. At the end of the day, we're all here to play a game and have fun, but we must also be mindful of the diverse personalities within TEST.

• Love
Reactions: Lordgarrett99

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
As we know, TEST is a large organization with a diverse membership of over 20,000 people. This means that there are bound to be instances where personality types clash. In response to a recent post discouraging blocking and muting in TEST, I would like to offer an alternative perspective.

Firstly, it's important to recognize that everyone has their own reasons for muting or blocking someone, and sometimes it's necessary for personal wellbeing. For example, if there are 10 people in an event or voice chat, and one individual becomes disruptive or bothersome, it is entirely valid for a member to mute that person. This helps maintain a positive environment for everyone else and allows the affected member to remain engaged with their friends and the event.

Rather than telling people they cannot mute or block others, we should consider the broader implications. It might be that muting someone can help prevent a heated confrontation, resulting in a more peaceful and enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

However, I do agree that moderators, admins, and event coordinators should never be muted. If any issues arise with these individuals, it's best to address the situation by reaching out to another mod, admin, or event coordinator.

In conclusion, while we should strive for open communication and understanding within TEST, it's important to recognize that not everyone will get along all the time. The ability to mute or block others can be an essential tool in managing these situations and ensuring everyone can enjoy the community to the fullest. At the end of the day, we're all here to play a game and have fun, but we must also be mindful of the diverse personalities within TEST.
well put, i respect this view and thank you for your input :)

Reactions: Sky Captain

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

I could see problems what if we are at an event and this member you blocked has become a leader in the future and is leading an event. If they are blocked then you are not going to have proper coms during an event and could end up doing something you are not supposed to do. I'm with OP's thoughts on this if you feel someone is frustrating then talk to leadership about it and have it actually dealt with org members should get along with one another.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I could see problems what if we are at an event and this member you blocked has become a leader in the future and is leading an event. If they are blocked then you are not going to have proper coms during an event and could end up doing something you are not supposed to do. I'm with OP's thoughts on this if you feel someone is frustrating then talk to leadership about it and have it actually dealt with org members should get along with one another.
To put it in context, OP started to spam DM to every active staff (mods, staff and event coordinators) around, about anything he was doing, or every time he was changing something in his JT thread.
And then he made this thread on the forum.

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
To put it in context, OP started to spam DM to every active staff (mods, staff and event coordinators) around, about anything he was doing, or every time he was changing something in his JT thread.
And then he made this thread on the forum.
im going to politely ask not to discuss specific instances of behaviors i may or may not have done in a public setting such as this.

yes i made mistakes, yes i apologized for those mistakes, but in my opinion its not necessary to mention them here, thank you kindly.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
im going to politely ask not to discuss specific instances of behaviors i may or may not have done in a public setting such as this.

yes i made mistakes, yes i apologized for those mistakes, but in my opinion its not necessary to mention them here, thank you kindly.
You chose to make the matter public, I am only replying to let others know what was the context. Because many answers were miles away from what was the origin of this thread.

Forgot your password?