BMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
You're making a lot of assumptions here that don't really sound like SC game design. There are no defined rails on what I can and can't sell out of a BMM. I can sell whatever the hell fits down the lift to whoever is buying. If I wanted to blast through a blockade and land in the middle of a warzone to sell strawberry flavored popcicles, it is my prerogative to do so. That being said, Will I be able to refuel folks? Perform repairs? Fight off attackers to keep my docked patrons' ships safe? God no. Each ship will have its lane, but none will conquer all.
Different items being in demand at different places is most certainly SC game design. Now, I'm not saying you couldn't try to sell an assortment of chaff to a community of NPC farmers, I'm just saying that someone who owns a ship might be more inclined to buy it, and that when your primary mode of attracting new customers is having them land on your landing pads, you tend to meet more people who came with ships. These things will probably influence what sort of items you're stocking up on, I'm not saying you can't stock up on whatever you want, just that you probably find certain types of items more profitable based on where you sell and who you sell to.

Last edited:

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Different items being in demand at different places is most certainly SC game design. Now, I'm not saying you couldn't try to sell an assortment of chaff to a community of NPC farmers, I'm just saying that someone who owns a ship might be more inclined to buy it, and that when your primary mode of attracting new customers is having them land on your landing pads, you tend to meet more people who came with ships. These things will probably influence what sort of items you're stocking up on, I'm not saying you can't stock up on whatever you want, just that you probably find certain types of items more profitable based on where you sell and who you sell to.
That is not at all the point I was making. I was responding to your assertion that BMMs would only be good for selling specific or non-millitary items. Limiting what a captain can sell on their own damn boat is the kind of thing that doesn't sound like SC game design. In fact, you kinda made my point for me on that front by reiterating that it will be demand driving the markets and who is buying, not predefined roles for ships. Anyone can sell anything from out the back of anything, as long as you've got the space and a container to hold it. How well you achieve that task is down to how you choose to go about it.

Man-0

Vice Admiral
Jun 19, 2020
RSI Handle
Man0
BMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM was the right title.
Also I can't wait to till they add this thing to the game. Got my Merchantman and my Aurora and that's all that I need. And now that the BMM has a FREAKING HANGAR I can store my Aurora inside and do single package deliver missions out of my BMM. Basically BMM transports the Aurora to orbit and I use to aurora to transport pick up the package. 20,000 IQ plans right here, ima be the first UAC Trillionaire.
GUNS! Holy cow does she have some big mammas on there. Size 8's oughta give the enemy a tickle.
I love the synergy between the different technologies. The floating/transforming panels is always awesome and totally fits the vide I was looking for. Glad that they pulled back the organic theme and decided to go more "luxury" on certain parts of the interior. My worry was actually that it would resemble the inside of the Defender TOO much and the interior would be kinda dark and dull but it seems like they really flushed everything out and went with a great approach.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
That is not at all the point I was making. I was responding to your assertion that BMMs would only be good for selling specific or non-millitary items. Limiting what a captain can sell on their own damn boat is the kind of thing that doesn't sound like SC game design.
But that's not at all what I was saying. At no point have I stated that there would be some sort of artificial limitation on what you can sell, but BMM will mostly be landing to sell, while the Kraken will mainly stay in orbit to sell. This naturally leads to two very different types of clientele for BMM and Kraken. These clients will need different things, and that's entirely in line with CIG game design. If you're landing on planets, fertilizer might be a real great product to sell. If you're floating in space, you might occasionally run into an endeavor captain that might need some, but chaff might be a more common article your clients want. Meanwhile, if most your clients on ground don't even own ships, they might not be all that interested in chaff.

As I said, BMM and Kraken habit two different ecosystems, so if you're looking to make a profit you'd stock up with your clientele in mind.

In fact, you kinda made my point for me on that front by reiterating that it will be demand driving the markets and who is buying, not predefined roles for ships. Anyone can sell anything from out the back of anything, as long as you've got the space and a container to hold it. How well you achieve that task is down to how you choose to go about it.
Hmm, I suppose there might've been some misunderstanding then, since we seem to ultimately agree on this.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
BMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM was the right title.
:love:

Also I can't wait to till they add this thing to the game. Got my Merchantman and my Aurora and that's all that I need. And now that the BMM has a FREAKING HANGAR I can store my Aurora inside and do single package deliver missions out of my BMM. Basically BMM transports the Aurora to orbit and I use to aurora to transport pick up the package. 20,000 IQ plans right here, ima be the first UAC Trillionaire.
Yeah! I'm planning on keeping a Hull A in the hangar, I've been crunching some numbers and it should fit. This would allow me to set up the bazaar and then go around the planet trading on the minor locations. All the while that market churns money.
"Yo dawg, I heard you like trading, so I put trading ship inside your trading ship so you can trade while you trade."

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Hmm, I suppose there might've been some misunderstanding then, since we seem to ultimately agree on this.
Haha yeah, I think we are saying the same thing. I had misinterpereted your initial post as saying that the BMM would only have pre-defined shops that could be installed to sell specific items, versus what you were actually talking about which was more clientele focused. I'll come up to orbit to buy a few missiles from you and you can come down to my bazaar to buy some spacewee-..ahem... I mean entirely legitimate herbal remedies.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm honestly pretty impressed with this concept... wish I would have picked one up when I had the chance. I'm afraid I've missed my opportunity. :/
No worries, it officially goes up for sale at least once per year. So if you wanted to pick up a BMM through official means to raise your pledge amount status towards becoming Concierge, you can pick up any of the new concept ships that cost less than that between now & when you purchase the CCU up into it. Case in point, you could pick up a 400i with LTI, then during the anniversary sale / IAE at the end of Nov, you could find deals on ship CCU's that are discounted to gradually hop your way up to being close to the BMM to save money with your overall purchases. We've actually got a few different threads that specialize in that sort of wheeling & dealing to help backers achieve their goals within their finances while still helping back the project.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
No worries, it officially goes up for sale at least once per year. So if you wanted to pick up a BMM through official means to raise your pledge amount status towards becoming Concierge, you can pick up any of the new concept ships that cost less than that between now & when you purchase the CCU up into it. Case in point, you could pick up a 400i with LTI, then during the anniversary sale / IAE at the end of Nov, you could find deals on ship CCU's that are discounted to gradually hop your way up to being close to the BMM to save money with your overall purchases. We've actually got a few different threads that specialize in that sort of wheeling & dealing to help backers achieve their goals within their finances while still helping back the project.
or wait until the game is released and then join a raiding team and secure your very own BMM at a significant discount.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I'm honestly pretty impressed with this concept... wish I would have picked one up when I had the chance. I'm afraid I've missed my opportunity. :/
Don't worry, if you want to get it as a pledge but are worried it'll now be ill-affordable, let me tell you a little story because I was feeling the same way a few years ago.

At that point, I had backed SC a bit, I initially had not even considered I might be dropping $250 in a single game (though looking back, there were already a few games I had done so with via micro transactions etc.) so I hadn't looked at BMM twice. Then I started switching my ideology of "I'm gonna buy lots of games and I'm sure I'll find something I like" to "I'm going to focus all of my attention to the couple of games I actually enjoy" because I realized that, I had big pile of games I only played a fraction of and quality over quantity might actually be a better idea.

Anyhow, the short of it is, I'm now entertaining the possibility that I might actually back SC enough to get one of the bit more expensive ships, but BMM has already gone up in price a bit and I'm a tad bummed about it, same with Carrack. I'm feeling like I've missed my opportunity.

But then I start thinking that, if ships going up in the price is the name of the game, then I'm going to play it like that. I get a Gemini to BMM CCU for $10, as I figure Gemini, a ship that's already released, is going to be more stable with its price. I also got Gemini to endeavor, to crucible, and to Hull D. Y'know, because maybe I'll end up liking one of those, or maybe they'll go up in price. And in order to get the BMM for price that was closer to the original $250, I also speculated on some cheaper CCUs. This has actually gotten easier in last couple of years, because now CIG gives heads up before some unexpected price hikes, they hold Warbond CCU sales where you can just buy a $40 CCU for $5 and you KNOW you're "saving" at least $35 there. If you're lucky, that $35 might even turn out to be a bigger sum later on if the ship you're getting CCU to goes up in price upon release, as they often do.

All in all, I got a CCU to BMM when BMM was $350, I was bummed I didn't get it when it was $250. But with the CCUs I've gotten with a discount, I've now got a CCU chain up to BMM with total cost of $235, so if I executed it right now, I'd actually get it for cheaper than the $250 I was so bummed up about missing. And it's now worth $500, and it could still go up in price, so who knows, maybe I could leverage it to get one of those even more expensive ships, though, I'm really liking the BMM so I just might not.

TL;DR - THE CCU GAME:
1. Ships will be sold at a discount in concept. Get a cheap CCU then.
2. Always check back every day during ship sales, like IAE. Buy appropriate warbond CCUs and start forming CCU chains.
3. They've announced that caterpillar WILL go up in price. By how much, we don't know. But get like vanguard harbinger -> cat CCU for $5 and see how that goes.
4. 400i is in concept sale right now. WITH A WARBOND CCU! personally I got Corsair to 400i CCU for $5, but this could be a tad risky as corsair isn't out yet and might (probably will) also go up in price. However, I already have a CCU TO Corsair so, not a concern for me. But you might find something like Hurricane -> 400i to be a safer bet. Even safer would be to get both, in the end you want to get as many CCUs with great discount % as possible, so when you apply them in the end, you'll get as great % from the final value as possible. Ask me to clarify if that doesn't make sense :)
5. Only apply the CCUs right at the end, it's fine if they sit unapplied a few years in your inventory. Let it brew. Patience here lends you the power of hindsight, it's almost like retroactively predicting the future at a point where the future is already the past.

Some suggestions:
Get that cat CCU.
Get that 400i Warbond CCU. Or two. You can always melt the one you don't end up using.
Get some CCUs to Hull D, Endeavor, Crucible. Those are real old concept ships that haven't seen their price explode yet, so there's hope there.
AND DO NOT FORGET TO GET A CCU TO BMM. It might still go up in price when it actually gets released. It might even go up in price once or twice in between. You never know. Get a CCU and lock that thing down.

If you get unlucky and the ship you were CCUing from goes up in price more, you can melt that and get the what you actually spent for back as store credit, that you can then apply towards the sort of gap CCUs you don't get Warbond discount for. To mitigate this:
1. CCU FROM flight ready ships.
2. CCU FROM permanently available ships. (So if they announce it's going to go up in price, you can then get a CCU TO your FROM ship as well. Don't panic and dump that CCU, in the end it doesn't necessarily matter if the price points move around within an already secured CCU chain (that is, You got a CCU from A to B, a CCU from B to C and a CCU from C to D.) As long as the first ship in the CCU chain doesn't go up in price, you can only benefit from the rest of them increasing in price.
If you can still get Hull A, B and C (in addition to D) CCUs for the original price during the next sale, do so. Those are also old ships, so there is some expectations there, though now that A and C are getting released soon(tm), so they might already get their price bumps. Don't be too bummed out about this, there'll be other opportunities.
CCU game is all about patience. It might take an annual sale or two to get really beautiful discounted Warbond CCU chains.

AND REMEMBER! YOU CAN ALWAYS GET IT IN GAME. Which might be an odd thing to end with after that enthusiastic rant about how to play the CCU game. But eh.

Narcotics

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2017
RSI Handle
ItsNarcotics
Interesting. I personally have found a mouse and keyboard setup for the larger ships to be preferred.
Oh? Could be, I don't have experience with sticks but assumed it'd feel more natural with them from what I've heard from other people. Of course they flew smaller ships so we'll see. At the very least it'd be more immersive with a VR/HOSAS setup you know?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Oh? Could be, I don't have experience with sticks but assumed it'd feel more natural with them from what I've heard from other people. Of course they flew smaller ships so we'll see. At the very least it'd be more immersive with a VR/HOSAS setup you know?
The fighters while it's possible to fly them with MK and in some way I am far more accurate with this setup but there is something visceral about flying fighters with HOSAS that makes it a great experience. But as the ship size goes up and the speed and turn radius goes down I find myself reverting back to MK for most of the large ships as its easier to hold the mouse cursor on the target and let the ship accelerate and decelerate automatically

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
@Bambooza and @Narcotics, I definitely prefer HOSAS for large ships, and I really enjoy flying large ships (except the one that shall go unnamed from the lowliest of overpriced manufacturers...MISC...not a fan of 'flying' a PvP arena and calling it a ship.)
The outside is not bad, but like a few other ships, the inside is a mess and desperately needs a rework.

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
Joysticks will always be more immersive... well, unless you go for the vibes of star trek where the controls are keyboard only called LCARS (an acronym for Library Computer Access/Retrieval System). Maybe add one stick to resemble that single scene that one just pops up in the middle of the bridge for commander Riker.

But I have to agree, large ships have slower movements in combat, landing and cruising. I rarely find situations there that require the fine controls of sticks!

Now, consider that the origin ships are faster and more agile than others... have you ever controlled a 890J? The BMM will be much sluggish-ier than that 😵

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Joysticks will always be more immersive... well, unless you go for the vibes of star trek where the controls are keyboard only called LCARS (an acronym for Library Computer Access/Retrieval System). Maybe add one stick to resemble that single scene that one just pops up in the middle of the bridge for commander Riker.

But I have to agree, large ships have slower movements in combat, landing and cruising. I rarely find situations there that require the fine controls of sticks!

Now, consider that the origin ships are faster and more agile than others... have you ever controlled a 890J? The BMM will be much sluggish-ier than that 😵
Or even like the giant reclaimer

Forgot your password?