Body Armor vs Ship Guns

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Hi All,

I've got this interesting thought: what Body Armor in Star Citizen can withstand when it's put against ship guns?

This has its practicality: you may be exploring in your Ursa Rover or a bike (like Dragonfly, Nox or X1 etc.) and you may be attacked by hostiles (pirates, etc.) that are on foot, and your vehicle may be damaged to an extent you can't escape, or the location may not let you escape easily, so that you will be left to fight the attackers.

So I'm curious if anyone tried or has some insights into what body armor can withstand. On Ursa you've got size 1 bulldog repeaters, so can a medium armor hod up against these? How many shots can it take before going down? What about the heavy armor? What about size 2 guns? Can heavy armor have shields?

Cheers! :beers:

Reactions: Zookajoe and Deroth
D

Deleted member 6105

Against vehicle mounted weapons, I doubt personal body armor is going to do much. The sheer size and energy output of the energy weapons or the mass of ballistic projectiles with the potential energy they are going to deliver, your body armor won't even give you enough time to register this hurts before your insides are now your outsides.

My guess is based on the fact that they have assigned values of protection for materials/armor and shields and vehicle based weapons are designed to damage/destroy them. Personally carried armor isn't going to be thick enough to compare to ship armor. It would be like trying to stop a hand gun with a single sheet of paper when your ship is covered in phone books. Even then, the kinetic energy transfer is going to kill you, ask anyone who's ever been shot while wearing a vest how much it still hurts even though no penetration, or look at old school plate armor, the warhammer became the most effective weapon, couldn't penetrate but the impact still shattered bones and ruptured organs.

TL;DR since they are trying to be real physics-y big things will splat little things

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
From experience, it's hard to aim at infantry (or more to the point, you can't aim down with the Ursa turret) so not sure how practical it is to count on that for anti-infantry weapon. That being said, during the 25vs25 event I did manage to shoot at an infantry that was standing on a rock, not sure about their armor, but it took 1~2 shots to kill.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
<...> I did manage to shoot at an infantry that was standing on a rock, not sure about their armor, but it took 1~2 shots to kill.
This is interesting. So, it appears then, that body armor can withstand some damage from ship guns. Could be medium armor on them, as that's what I usually see on players. Curious how much heavy could take.

Reactions: Zookajoe

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Size 3 gun attached to a hornet instagibs a person.

Don't ask me how I know.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Every time I've ever been shot with ship guns (4-5 instances) at SPK, I seemed to be insta-dead. I cannot verify exactly how many shots hit me. This was also pre 3.0, so maybe armor was not a thing yet either. We should TEST... TWRL what say you?
Yes, my memory was that armor before 3.0 was just show and didn't provide any protection at all.

The issue I've had firing at people from a Hornet was that the weapons didn't seem to converge...they just fired straight ahead. So, you basically needed to "hose them down" when firing at infantry / a single target at SPK (i.e., move a little to the left & right, maybe up and down). Or maybe that was just my shitty FPS / shitty lag?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The original plan was that vehicle weapons were their own category and less than S1 ship's weapons, but I think they scratched that and are using S1's on vehicles.

IIRC, the vehicle hits at the 25 v 25 event last week were all one-hit kills. So looks like S1's go right through all armor. This makes bikes more dangerous and worth honing biker skills.

For killing infantry, best solution is going to be flying a lower turret with a scattergun like the pyro. Flying a Hurricane upside-down with 4 S3 Pyros in the turret is going to be completely lethal to anyone on the ground and probably every vehicle short of a tank. The Hurricane can't take punishment back, so you might use a SH instead, but with the maneuverability of a fighter and the effects of ships guns, seems to me dominance in the air is going to be extremely important. Fly an Idris low over the battlefield and probably not even the tanks can injure it.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Ballistic cannons used to be working like a charm against infantry pre 3.2. As for 3.2.x, I already tested this by evaporating few friends with Gemini and its C-788 Combined Ballistic Cannons; this gun was updated in 3.2.something -- explosive ammunition do a lot of damage now.

Count me in for any weapon testing; let's kill some bugs -- for SCIENCE!

Forgot your password?