Brie Larson punted from Star Wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
A lot of people pretty much hate Brie Larson, not just because she's allegedly threatened to quit Star Wars unless she gets much more screen time than Kathleen Kennedy planned, but because they hate the notion that Kennedy was going to turn her into a Jedi-god by making her the most powerful Jedi of all time, in complete disrespect to the legacy materials. Kennedy has said "there's no source material" for what she plans, which is simply not true; and a LOT of people hate those plans.

People also think Brie sucks because of the arrogant, self-important, and uninteresting way she played Captain Marvel. The Star Wars franchise needs exactly NONE of that.

Well, rumor is Jon Favraeu and Dave Miloni now outrank Kathleen Kennedy, and Jon canned Brie from Star Wars altogether. Mayhap there is yet hope for the franchise. Jon and Dave rock, and it seems Disney has noticed.

Word is Disney is also thinking of bringing back Gina Carano, since the fans have been so pissed about what is psycho cancel culture at its worst.

Yea Cara. Boo Brie. Yea Disney.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
A lot of people pretty much hate Brie Larson, not just because she's allegedly threatened to quit Star Wars unless she gets much more screen time than Kathleen Kennedy planned, but because they hate the notion that Kennedy was going to turn her into a Jedi-god by making her the most powerful Jedi of all time, in complete disrespect to the legacy materials. Kennedy has said "there's no source material" for what she plans, which is simply not true; and a LOT of people hate those plans.

People also think Brie sucks because of the arrogant, self-important, and uninteresting way she played Captain Marvel. The Star Wars franchise needs exactly NONE of that.

Well, rumor is Jon Favraeu and Dave Miloni now outrank Kathleen Kennedy, and Jon canned Brie from Star Wars altogether. Mayhap there is yet hope for the franchise. Jon and Dave rock, and it seems Disney has noticed.

Word is Disney is also thinking of bringing back Gina Carano, since the fans have been so pissed about what is psycho cancel culture at its worst.

There might be hope.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I've never understood why employers must keep tabs on their workers private lives.

I really couldn't care less if someone is a militant flat earther when they're off the clock, as long as they're professional when they're working.
And it doesn't matter whether you're an actor or the cashier at MuckDunolds, a job's a job.

Okey, well, if it turns out the person is some sort of a pedo, then maybe fire them from the kindergarten, but like, other than things like that.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

Good! Very Good!
I hope to show my kid some new actually good star wars one day that isn't degenerate political propaganda trash "acted" out by talentless mouthpieces.

Rumor is that while KK still officially might have rank and such, she was basically fired from Star Wars and given the new Indiana Jones movie as sort of compensation. She would have taken part in that anyways due to old contracts, but they surrendered the whole thing to her now so she wouldn't destroy the much bigger cash cow that is SW.

Btw if you guys want to listen to the latest rumors, the yt channel Midnight's Edge has some good coverage. They are usually pretty good source of what's going on in holywood collecting the facts and rumors as well and presenting them in a breakdown fashion that is clear and concise.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I've never understood why employers must keep tabs on their workers private lives.
It's a woke thing. The general public has ignored Hollywood's penchant to display the very worst behavior of the broader culture for many decades. We look to Hollywood for decadence, and don't much care that they're left or right. They're entertainers, not philosophers. However, woke values come with a particular goal in mind---to separate people into victim groups in order to place them at war with each other and build a basis for a Marxist future. Woke NEEDS not only victims, but people to victimize. Hence how Cara got canned for an insightful comment about how the Nazis had to learn to hate each other well before they could usher off people to the gas chambers. Cara offered a warning against hate itself, and that supposedly got her canned.

Well, woke ain't playin' well of late. People are wising up that it's just a new form of hatred, and Disney is seeming to start to get its head out of its ass. Too late to repair the damage done to Luke, but the latest episode of Mando helps some. There is hope to reclaim George's vision for Star Wars.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

The individuals in charge of the tech & media corporations that listen to & support these trash cancel culture ideas deserve to be cancelled & go broke themselves instead. People change as time passes & they grow based on their experiences. It's moronic to hold somebody accountable to that degree over something that was stated while that was acceptable & later learned as time & culture changed that it wasn't. Everybody has a history. It's what we learn from to become better.

There might be hope.
Life imitates art, Episode IV - A New Hope (confirmed!?)

I really couldn't care less if someone is a militant flat earther when they're off the clock, as long as they're professional when they're working.
And it doesn't matter whether you're an actor or the cashier at MuckDunolds, a job's a job.

Okey, well, if it turns out the person is some sort of a pedo, then maybe fire them from the kindergarten, but like, other than things like that.
In general, I agree. However, when a performer publicly states that their work isn't meant for me to enjoy, I accept their statement and (in the spirit of malicious compliance) boycott ALL of their past, present & future work until they personally make a public sincere apology as well as change their tune from then on.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1

Normally I would agree, but in her case she has always been and always will be a terrible excuse for an actress; she has been selected for all of her roles expressly because of her crazy beliefs and terrible personality because of politics and companies incorrectly believing the amount of people that appeals to is greater than the quantity of people that'd be turned away by it.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Normally I would agree, but in her case she has always been and always will be a terrible excuse for an actress; she has been selected for all of her roles expressly because of her crazy beliefs and terrible personality because of politics and companies incorrectly believing the amount of people that appeals to is greater than the quantity of people that'd be turned away by it.
Just to check, by 'her' are you referring to Brie or Gina?

Anyhow, to reiterate:
as long as they're professional when they're working.
Kinda sounds you take issue with their professional life rather than some unrelated comment (about masks or otherwise) they made on social media.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Just to check, by 'her' are you referring to Brie or Gina?

Anyhow, to reiterate:

Kinda sounds you take issue with their professional life rather than some unrelated comment (about masks or otherwise) they made on social media.
I was referring to Brie; I have neither issue with Gina's body of work nor her personal life, much less social media comments that people when nutso over. blowing up into something other than they were.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane and FZD

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

You and I do not care and thus our impact to their ability to earn capital doesn't factor in. But there is a very vocal group where the actions of their employees do matter and does have the potential to impact their ability to maximize capital earned. If both sides of the issue were vocal and had the potential for direct impact on a company's revenue generation then they would need to pick a side but for now given only one side has the potential of voting with their wallets companies pay them lip service.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If both sides of the issue were vocal and had the potential for direct impact on a company's revenue generation then they would need to pick a side but for now given only one side has the potential of voting with their wallets companies pay them lip service.
I think this is the very thing that may be changing, result of several influences. First of all, the General Public punished Disney for the way they dishonored Luke. That was Kathleen Kennedy's work, and was a quite deliberate smack at "the patriarchy". The public was not amused by her hatred of all things most Star Wars sacred, the person of Luke. Cannon is that Luke was the greatest Jedi of all time by virtue of his humility, and Kennedy shit all over that notion very deliberately. The public then punished Disney by refusing to go see Solo, which was actually a decent film.

Next Kennedy is out to create a Jedi-godling who of course NEEDS to be female. However, those with the purse strings can see where her wokism leads, and they removed her from her place of control and inserted Dave and Jon. Now Jon is telling Kathleen what she cannot do in the only project left to her--no Jedi-godlings, no Brie Larson. If Kennedy holds on to any power at all, she may have a proper place through the story of Mara Jade, but fans have reason to fear she'll screw that up too, so I guess we'll see.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I think this is the very thing that may be changing, result of several influences. First of all, the General Public punished Disney for the way they dishonored Luke. That was Kathleen Kennedy's work, and was a quite deliberate smack at "the patriarchy". The public was not amused by her hatred of all things most Star Wars sacred, the person of Luke. Cannon is that Luke was the greatest Jedi of all time by virtue of his humility, and Kennedy shit all over that notion very deliberately. The public then punished Disney by refusing to go see Solo, which was actually a decent film.

Next Kennedy is out to create a Jedi-godling who of course NEEDS to be female. However, those with the purse strings can see where her wokism leads, and they removed her from her place of control and inserted Dave and Jon. Now Jon is telling Kathleen what she cannot do in the only project left to her--no Jedi-godlings, no Brie Larson. If Kennedy holds on to any power at all, she may have a proper place through the story of Mara Jade, but fans have reason to fear she'll screw that up too, so I guess we'll see.
It is true that there has become more pushback and in some ways a self righting. I just hope that it doesn't go to far in the other direction or lead to a vast divide as both sides strive to build power and completely vilify the other.

Visually I really liked the last three star wars they did a lot to expand the universe I just wish there was more struggle and agency instead of the story just seeming like it was on rails at a Disneyland park with things happening around them but in no way impacting the main actors on the ride.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I just hope that it doesn't go to far in the other direction or lead to a vast divide as both sides strive to build power and completely vilify the other.
Keep in mind that the culture war is not a battle between equally vested opponents. The Right are Traditionalists who look at the glass as half full, while Progressives on the Left see it as half empty. The result of course is that the Right is centered on preserving tradition, not pressing for particular changes. Any changes the Right champions are to preserve. So for instance, the new laws popping up all over the US are called "voter suppression laws" by the Left, and "voter integrity laws" by the Right. Which is it? Without those laws no one has reason to suspect we'll ever have a legit voting system, as the last election quite ably proved, with entire states violating both their own and federal constitutions. The Right is preserving, not leading a militant battle to replace what is with something else (Marxism). The Right is therefore by its nature more stagnant and reactionary. It does not apply itself unless it feels threatened, and right now our elections system is greatly threatened.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Ya know, while I usually like to bash the big companies for not giving a shit about their customers as long as their investors are happy, in this case it seems to do some good for the stuff they put out. Apart from the spineless pandering to the Chinese government, but that path seems to be a dead end with their most recent movie intended just for this purpose being banned by China lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?