Budget Citizen- Playing Star Citizen on a Budget

Cable

Rear Admiral
Donor
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Cable
Started a new series on my channel for citizens who might not be able to afford all the bells and whistles. Taking suggestions for other subjects to touch on.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Personally, I think buying the 45 dollar aurora MR pack and CCUing to a mustang will provide maximum fun-to-price ratio. you're saving 15 dollars on the full game, getting a nice combat-ready ship, AND getting access to arena commander on day one.

Edit: oh, you meant on a budget PC. Yeah, times will be tough, but it's doable if you aren't afraid of 30 FPS with some drops.

Cable

Rear Admiral
Donor
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Cable
Edit: oh, you meant on a budget PC. Yeah, times will be tough, but it's doable if you aren't afraid of 30 FPS with some drops.
When I'm not recording, I get 45-60 FPS (the hangar is where I get the drops) on Ultra High.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
When I'm not recording, I get 45-60 FPS (the hangar is where I get the drops) on Ultra High.

The current game is simply not an accurate representation. Running it on ultra now is now is not the same as ultra in the full PU. Being an MMO player, it's shocking how much MMO's develop over time. If you're running it at max settings with a moderately priced computer the year it comes out, 2 years later, you probably will not be. Your experience will not decrease, because they almost always include the prior settings, but you'll not be running it as best as possible. MMO's love to improve graphics options over the years to keep the top end users happy.

Looking at your build, that doesn't look like the typical 500 dollar build. In fact, it's damn nice for a 500 dollar build. Great job! However, be prepared to upgrade a year or two down the road. That's all I'm really saying. Building a 500 dollar PC now is fine, but come time the full game releases, you'll probably want an upgrade.

A clear example would be world of tanks. It released in 2011 at some point. It looked like a bunch of mud spattered awkward polygons. I used to be able to run it at 80 FPS on max settings with a ghz edition 7870. Now it looks gorgeous, and strains my R9 290X, dropping below 60 FPS on some particularly hectic maps.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
A clear example would be world of tanks. It released in 2011 at some point. It looked like a bunch of mud spattered awkward polygons. I used to be able to run it at 80 FPS on max settings with a ghz edition 7870. Now it looks gorgeous, and strains my R9 290X, dropping below 60 FPS on some particularly hectic maps.
Thats because it leans on the actual computer CPU much more than another game would that delegate most graphics tasks to the GPU.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Thats because it leans on the actual computer CPU much more than another game would that delegate most graphics tasks to the GPU.
yep, dem armor calculations. When it's time to upgrade motherboards, I'll probably get an I7 and some DDR4. That time has not come yet.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
yep, dem armor calculations. When it's time to upgrade motherboards, I'll probably get an I7 and some DDR4. That time has not come yet.
It isn't that because that is handled by the server itself. The reason is because russian computers are potatoes in the graphics card area. They still haven't implemented multi-threading support which would take a great load off the CPU either.

Venom

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2014
RSI Handle
Venomauz
AND THEY OP THEIR DAMN TANKS!!!

Cable

Rear Admiral
Donor
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Cable
Looking at your build, that doesn't look like the typical 500 dollar build. In fact, it's damn nice for a 500 dollar build. Great job! However, be prepared to upgrade a year or two down the road. That's all I'm really saying. Building a 500 dollar PC now is fine, but come time the full game releases, you'll probably want an upgrade.
Oh yeah. I will definitely be upgrading my computer in tandem with Star Citizen as requirements change. I made sure to put my money into the mobo and cpu so that I have wiggle room to upgrade everything else later on.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Oh yeah. I will definitely be upgrading my computer in tandem with Star Citizen as requirements change. I made sure to put my money into the mobo and cpu so that I have wiggle room to upgrade everything else later on.
Still though, that's a fantastic build you've got for 500 dollars. Great price hunting!

Forgot your password?