Building a new desk

Bomer Fett

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2015
RSI Handle
Bomer_Fett
I decided that I need a better desk. One that is setup better for streaming and gaming. I did a lot of shopping for what I wanted, but could only find desks that were $1500 - $3000. That is WAY out of my price range. So, I got on SketchUp and started designing the desk I wanted. I went to the store and bought the material I needed to get started for less than $100. I just picked what I believe will be everything I need to complete this project. So far total I have spent right at $175. I still have to install a cabinet door, cut some holes for cable management, stain , and apply the polyurethane. I hope to be finished with it this weekend.

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Nice! I need to do something similar for my [limited] space. I it is a pretty small space with specific dimensions, so store-bought is out of the question.

I applaud you, it looks like great craftsmanship!

Reactions: Bomer Fett

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I love the design you have there, it looks comfy and sturdy. Nice work!

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Nice build, I am a huge supporter of making your own stuff like this :) not long ago I taught my friend (fellow testie) to do stuff like this and made an entertainment center for him :)

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Knowing that working with wood makes a better human being I applaud your efforts.

Just did a dining room table and refinished some old chairs for it.... Felt very fulfilled at the end of it.

Recommend you add bacon to your meals (all of them) and bourbon (to all your meals)..... If your work allows it you should grow a beard and grunt more... Your working with wood you deserve it.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Yes 200mm. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate today. So, no polyurethane today.
You might look at putting an exhaust fan on the opposite side up top to pull any hot air out of the cabinet too. That is assuming the bottom have is bringing in cool air....

Looks good. Did you try to bacon and bourbon diet? It makes woodwork easier and your beard will be at your toes.

Bomer Fett

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2015
RSI Handle
Bomer_Fett
You might look at putting an exhaust fan on the opposite side up top to pull any hot air out of the cabinet too. That is assuming the bottom have is bringing in cool air....

Looks good. Did you try to bacon and bourbon diet? It makes woodwork easier and your beard will be at your toes.
Yes, the vent is on the opposite side and up at the top. I just have to find the vent cover I want to use. I'm going to try it without a fan at first. If my math is right, the positive pressure inside the cabinet should provide ample exhaust. Not to mention that keeping positive pressure in the cabinet will greatly reduce the amount of dust exposed to the computer. I'll monitor it real close the first few days to make sure I don;t cook anything.

While using the saws and such I stick with bacon and coffee. After I clean up for the day out comes the bourbon and some quality SC or STO time.

Forgot your password?