Building my SC rig, could use your thoughts.

Stee Jans

Grand Admiral
Sep 1, 2015
RSI Handle
SteeJans
Trying to build a new base rig that'll have room to expand. Here's what I'm looking at so far.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - Amazon $149.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 - Amazon $189.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - Newegg $369.99
GPU: ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 - Amazon $339.99
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz - Amazon $119.99
Storage (already have a 1tb 7200 rpm HDD): Samsung 850 EVO 120GB - Amazon $67.99
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 - Amazon $83.99
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H55 - Amazon $59.99

Total: $1381.92

I plan on eventually adding a second GPU and a 240gb SSD. If you spot any mistakes or have any suggestions on saving money, please let me know. =)

Reactions: Nutjob

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
do you plan on overclocking? if not forget the water cooling. 1400 to build a rig without OS..i'll get on it and post. 750w is kinda weak is my first though if you plan on xfire/sli...new post coming soon

Reactions: KingNerd

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Internal+SSDs-_-N82E16820147373&gclid=CID54aLjnsgCFdgIgQod41YNgA

upgrade your ssd now, why not spend the extra $60 for 4 times the capacity on the same model. This is exactly what I run, it's amazing and you definitely will want more storage space for your games to boot faster from :)

Everything else looks like it will work, the specs all match up, I've never built or used a DDR4 board so let me know how that works out for you :)

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
do you plan on overclocking? if not forget the water cooling. 1400 to build a rig without OS..i'll get on it and post. 750w is kinda weak is my first though if you plan on xfire/sli...new post coming soon
I recommend keeping the cpu water cooler just because it's so cheap and I know they are super amazing, the auto boost features in CPU's let them ramp up when they need and down when they need, so for the price it's worth it but don't watercool the whole system for sure. A good air cooler on your CPU is going to be more than that honestly. BUT I mainly posted this to say I agree that 750 is your minimum for a single card, you are going to want a 1000w or something wild to run 2 or 3 and make sure you can handle the overhead.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
I recommend keeping the cpu water cooler just because it's so cheap and I know they are super amazing, the auto boost features in CPU's let them ramp up when they need and down when they need, so for the price it's worth it but don't watercool the whole system for sure. A good air cooler on your CPU is going to be more than that honestly. BUT I mainly posted this to say I agree that 750 is your minimum for a single card, you are going to want a 1000w or something wild to run 2 or 3 and make sure you can handle the overhead.
why so hard up on the water cool? high end air~low end water..in some cases high end air beats low end water. specially in the new cheap water solutions.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
If you have a lot of money and don't want to buy another Bugatti, go full system water cooling to show off to us plebs. If you really want to overclock then use liquid nitrogen like the pro's!

But to be honest, I've done a few water cooled builds and had a friend do one for himself. The overall look is awesome but I have never seen a water cool build that didn't DOUBLE or even more the cost just to get a 10% (if you're lucky) performance increase. To me it's similar to anybody doing luxury stuff. You can get a brand new 50mpg car for less than a Lambo but why would you care if you can afford the Lambo! AND IT'S FASTER! lol

Reactions: Soven Taliesyn

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
If you have a lot of money and don't want to buy another Bugatti, go full system water cooling to show off to us plebs. If you really want to overclock then use liquid nitrogen like the pro's!

But to be honest, I've done a few water cooled builds and had a friend do one for himself. The overall look is awesome but I have never seen a water cool build that didn't DOUBLE or even more the cost just to get a 10% (if you're lucky) performance increase. To me it's similar to anybody doing luxury stuff. You can get a brand new 50mpg car for less than a Lambo but why would you care if you can afford the Lambo! AND IT'S FASTER! lol
I can't afford a Lambo.....so I'll settle with getting a Yugo.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs

wut? depends on the chip and the setup but if you only get 10% you are dogging. i've played with OC for a long time. in my small input it's not really worth it. the only instance it is worth it is to make a game choppy vs playable which doesnt happen much. the stress on the system isn't worth it in the end imo. god bless the old days of running a closed loop for a day or two just to make sure of no leaks. now you can just order that shit lol.

you order these pre built water system cause of noise and not much else. to me a good air setup isn't that loud in the first and is some how calming to me anyways lol.

Reactions: KingNerd

Stee Jans

Grand Admiral
Sep 1, 2015
RSI Handle
SteeJans
By "eventually adding a second gpu" I mean 3-5 years later when I start having difficulty running the latest games. With that much time to prepare, I don't mind also upgrading my power supply. For now, I'm trying my best to keep the price under $1400.

As for the SSD, I plan on picking up a 250 or 500g in a couple months for games, and I'll dedicate the 120gb to OS.

So are you guys saying I should go with a similarly priced air setup for my cpu or stick with the selected water cooler? I don't plan on OCing, just don't want it to overheat during 8+ hour gaming sessions.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
By "eventually adding a second gpu" I mean 3-5 years later when I start having difficulty running the latest games. With that much time to prepare, I don't mind also upgrading my power supply. For now, I'm trying my best to keep the price under $1400.

As for the SSD, I plan on picking up a 250 or 500g in a couple months for games, and I'll dedicate the 120gb to OS.

So are you guys saying I should go with a similarly priced air setup for my cpu or stick with the selected water cooler? I don't plan on OCing, just don't want it to overheat during 8+ hour gaming sessions.
dude. 3-5 years you are better off just buying a new gpu. if you are hard capped at 1400 i will rebuild one but refer to my above linkie for badassness

Stee Jans

Grand Admiral
Sep 1, 2015
RSI Handle
SteeJans
dude. 3-5 years you are better off just buying a new gpu. if you are hard capped at 1400 i will rebuild one but refer to my above linkie for badassness
I'm taking a close look at your build and I am intrigued. I think I'd still stick with the 970 because performance wise, at 1080p it benchmarks at only a few frames slower than the 390x, it runs cooler, doesn't require as much power and being $60 cheaper, I could still squeeze in that fancy Phanteks case. I don't plan on doing any 4k gaming, which is where the 390x seems to really out-perform the 970. Also, I've always been a die-hard Nvidia fan. At 1080p, I don't think i'd ever use the full 4 gigs of memory on the 970, much less 8 gigs from the 390x. Maybe I can't see past my bias, what do you think?

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
I'm taking a close look at your build and I am intrigued. I think I'd still stick with the 970 because performance wise, at 1080p it benchmarks at only a few frames slower than the 390x, it runs cooler, doesn't require as much power and being $60 cheaper, I could still squeeze in that fancy Phanteks case. I don't plan on doing any 4k gaming, which is where the 390x seems to really out-perform the 970. Also, I've always been a die-hard Nvidia fan. At 1080p, I don't think i'd ever use the full 4 gigs of memory on the 970, much less 8 gigs from the 390x. Maybe I can't see past my bias, what do you think?
depends on the game but 390x is a much much stronger card than the 970. it goes toe to toe with the 980 more like it. put fan boy out the window and get your best bang for the buck on what each is offering tbh

PaulEPeptide

Space Marshal
Dec 20, 2013
RSI Handle
PaulEPeptide
Just want to add that I have the enthoo pro, and it is by far the best case I've ever worked in. I really love it. I know it's not exactly the same one you're using, but you should be really happy with it if it's anything like mine.

Reactions: Stee Jans
Forgot your password?