Building this as a wedding present for a friend

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I don't want to let it go, though:

This will be a pure "bench gun". The barrel weighs about 6-7lbs (2.72kg in non-freedom units), and the overall gun weighs close to 12 lbs. Despite all of that, it feels amazingly balanced when you shoulder it.

I decided to keep the lower receiver "raw", with a matte clear finish.

I spent two hours last night getting it all frog-lubed up, which World of Warships helped with (heat parts, apply frog lube, wait an hour+, wipe off excess and apply normal lube and you're done).

Gonna test it out this weekend with a plethora of bullet weights to see what it likes best. Will report on that, later.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
I'd worry about how the lower will look after a while - I don't think I'd trust just a matte clear finish. You can anodize it and not dye it, and it will look a lot better after use than just a clear rattlecan finish.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Wow, it is disturbingly awesome that you can make this. Shop time is precious time. I really miss having access to one.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I'd worry about how the lower will look after a while - I don't think I'd trust just a matte clear finish. You can anodize it and not dye it, and it will look a lot better after use than just a clear rattlecan finish.
It's Duracoat, a ceramic, anti-scratch finish. Should last the life of the lower. But yeah, definitely not a rattle can clear.

Wow, it is disturbingly awesome that you can make this. Shop time is precious time. I really miss having access to one.
Haha, yeah, this is the third rifle I've built, though only the second complete build (my other is just a lower with LPK and no upper receiver, though I now have an assembled upper, just need another barrel and handguard). However, finding the time is the hardest part, what with work and the wife and now coaching a high school robotics team.

note to self: become Thom's friend.

On a completely unrelated note: Hey Thom old buddy old pal. My birthdays coming up soon!
This is a one-time deal. Sorry, Anti. When I told my wife how much this was going to cost ( still < $600, but yeah), my wife got... er... annoyed. Yeah, we'll stick with annoyed. However, this will last far longer than a Cuisinart and they'll have more fun using it, too.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
It's Duracoat, a ceramic, anti-scratch finish. Should last the life of the lower. But yeah, definitely not a rattle can clear.
Ah okay, Duracoat is good to go, then. I didn't realize they had a clear version - I'll have to give it a try.

What kind of lower did you use? Looks billet, given the integral guard. Also, the bare aluminum and stainless is begging for one of these: http://shop.mhmags.com/223-Matte-20RD223M.htm?categoryId=1

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I wonder if I could bribe him with internet spaceships.......
Depends on the value of said space ship vs. how much I'm putting into the gun. Wanna give me a Tali? I can give you a nice rifle. And Idris will get you something that can shoot the wings off of a gnat at 1000m.

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
Depends on the value of said space ship vs. how much I'm putting into the gun. Wanna give me a Tali? I can give you a nice rifle. And Idris will get you something that can shoot the wings off of a gnat at 1000m.
What would he get for a Javelin!?!
& will it function better after quantities of alcohol?

Reactions: ThomSirveaux
Forgot your password?