Can we talk about the fact that CIG is pedling a useless hardware to its player base

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I didnt know that. Too bad that price per GB is so high or that would actually be worth it because you can really only use your M.2 NVMe to about 80%
you young whippersnappers, the price per gigabyte is too high?

in 1993 I paid over $200 for a used 80 megabyte hard drive, and $80 for a whopping 2 Mb of ram for my first PC build

bah humbug

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
My understanding from what CR said in the intro remarks was that Intel also paid for CitizenCon in Frankfurt, so that save us all a ton of money, and allowed more to be spent on the game.
Yeah, and I'm a bit miffed about that. The conventions are paid for by the subscribers. I didn't notice anything more special about this one than any prior events that didn't have a big name corporate sponsor.

They got a deal on their network hardware and have to shill Intel stuff. Pretty simple. Just like they got a deal on their network bandwith and have to shill for TimeWarner/Spectrum. I get it, and I don't have a single problem with the partnerships, but I hope they don't focus more on the corporate stuff at the expense of us backers. Without us there would be no Intel/AMD/Spectrum/Logitech/etc partner interest.

Reactions: Talonsbane

Frisbeerocker

Commissar
May 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Frisbeerocker87
This shit is hilarious.

2 years ago when CIG began discussing a deal with Intel, they didn't know if optane would be the best or not. And honestly, who cares they have a business deal with fucking INTEL. They fact that Optane isnt THE BEST PRODUCT ON THE MARKET DOESNT FUCKING MATTER.

Also, who cares if this ship is available just by buying this ssd. Fuck. You dont need to buy ships. You don't need to own every ship. God. Who cares about LTI. None of this matters. Jesus.

This is a game.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
What's the endurance capacity? if it's substantially higher that would make sense BUT considering warranty is only 5 year.. I won't give my hopes up.. yea it's a bad deal... for hardware. I just want the damn ship lol.
you couldn't possible write enough to this drive to kill it in 5 years :D unless on a server and then still would be hard

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

in 1993 I paid over $200 for a used 80 megabyte hard drive, and $80 for a whopping 2 Mb of ram for my first PC build

bah humbug
LOL, remember getting a *deal!* on 4MB of memory for my laptop for "only" $200!

What can I say, being a member of the PC Master Race has its costs...literally!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

bah humbug
Young whippersnappers? My 1st PC was a slightly used 1984 Panasonic Sr Partner portable PC. It was a full year earlier than the 1st Tandy portable PC. Take that laptops. It had NO hard drives, it was operated with a pair of 5.25 inch floppy disks. 1 that ran the OS (usually DOS) & the other would run the program. Each disk usually only held a few KB of storage. Sound crazy? Here's proof they exist.

We PC gamers today have come a LONG way. LoL

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Young whippersnappers indeed. We used to call these "portables" in the industry at the time, though users quickly began calling them "luggables". I remember this one, the Panasonic was supposed to compete with the Compaq luggable. I remember it was cheaper, 2500 or so, as opposed to 2900 for the Compaq.
But I was at a presentation where the CEO of Compaq threw one of their portables out a second story window, and it bounced. He said something to the effect that "nobody with a Panasonic portable will try this". That was supposed to be a selling point, I guess. But the following day, he went through the same act, and it exploded on the pavement... but it still booted so we gave them credit. I remember counting 125 screws to get inside one, so we could run a disk alignment on a $120 dollar floppy drive - at a cost of $75.00 to the customer. This was before the days when we figured out this stuff was disposable.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Not sure if it is good or not... but isn't the bus still the limiter?
Yes, it sure is, data transfer rate wise anyway. It actualy becomes difficult to distinguish between stray microwave and digital TV transmissions, and the signal from on the bus at the speeds they're currently running. They have a couple of ways of increasing the speed a bit more but you want to keep the length very very short or your computer starts to act like a microwave antenna.

The thing that's really an eyeopener with the Intel Optane 900p though, is the endurance. It's a very fast drive, currently THE fastest, though the speed is not worth the price in my opinion (because tomorrow, or next week, or month someone will do something faster)
But if you've ever experienced SSD endurance failures, you'll see the benefit to this number. I have had this happen twice, and it's a PITA. Anything not backed up when it happens, is gone to the great bit bucket in the sky.

The closest competitor is the Samsung, at 400TBW before the drive is toast. Intel's technology though is supposed to be capable of over 22 times that. 8760 TBW ("Terra Bytes Written") .

That's waaay overkill for 99% of us today. But not everyone. It took me 3 1/2 years of almost full time use in an enterprise development environment to do the 225TBW (total) that it took to ruin 2 SSD's. It might take me a little less time now, faster processors etc now but that's a hellishly lot of data.

Last edited:

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
LOL, remember getting a *deal!* on 4MB of memory for my laptop for "only" $200!

What can I say, being a member of the PC Master Race has its costs...literally!
Lol how about 100 usd for each stick of 512 KB memory sticks..... i remember having to buy a 9 disk set to play a game and 20 mb drives were the size of 2 standard drives... oh the days

Forgot your password?