Can we talk player driven colonization?

darjanator

TEST Master Brewer
Jan 18, 2015
RSI Handle
darjanator
I've been toying with the idea of or at least thinking about how such a prospect (pun totally intended) would take place in the later stages of Star Citizen (after release).

I don't mean NPC corporations with mega budgets creating settlements with job opportunities, but players themselves hitching their constellations to a pair of space horses and going into the unknown in search of better fortunes and plopping down a modular homestead (once those are available in-game, of course) and calling it home.

What sort of motivation would there be for such ambitious players? Would it be only the search of new, unspoiled worlds where they could settle down in peace? Would it be a way to get off the grid, away from the ever present and ever watching eyes of the UEE? Or maybe it would be purely business, not even looking to find an Earth-like planet, but willing to brave more hostile environments to claim an ore-rich plot of land on a toxic moon somewhere in the far reaches of the galaxy.

And once that's done (if possible at all), how would these pioneers go about guaranteeing safety for themselves both from the environment, the hostile AI and possibly even griefers?

CIG has hinted at giving us the tools and technology to maybe one day go about such crazy endeavors, and I'm nothing if not giddy with anticipation, but I think there's still an amazing amount of work left to be done, like just what sort of ancillary technology, tools and mechanics would there have to be to make sure such a thing doesn't go tits up at the very thought?

Oh, we also made this the topic of our latest Fortnightly Frontier podcast. Check it out:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Forward Operating Bases (modular homesteads) are something we have been looking forward to in the industry division. And hopefully we can expand upon those outposts into something more permanent.

Forgot your password?