Canada in Mourning - A small tribute to Gord Downie

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
For those of you outside Canada, the loss of Gord Downie last Tuesday may not mean much. But here in Canada, a nation mourns. I just want to take a moment to remember Gord, and to thank him and the rest of the members of The Tragically Hip for the last 30 years of written, poeticized, and preformed Canadian history.
Thank you Gordon Edgar Downie, may you rest in peace. You are missed.
Thank you Paul Langlois,
Thank you Rob Baker,
Thank you Gord Sinclair,
Thank you Johnny Fay.

I know this may seem trivial to many, considering the state of the world, but I still think it bears mentioning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/arts/music/gord-downie-tragically-hip-dead-final-album.html
"The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close."

Thanks for a this moment of your time,
Owl.

EmpireRuled

Commander
Oct 16, 2017
RSI Handle
EmpireRuled
For those of you outside Canada, the loss of Gord Downie last Tuesday may not mean much. But here in Canada, a nation mourns. I just want to take a moment to remember Gord, and to thank him and the rest of the members of The Tragically Hip for the last 30 years of written, poeticized, and preformed Canadian history.
Thank you Gordon Edgar Downie, may you rest in peace. You are missed.
Thank you Paul Langlois,
Thank you Rob Baker,
Thank you Gord Sinclair,
Thank you Johnny Fay.

I know this may seem trivial to many, considering the state of the world, but I still think it bears mentioning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/arts/music/gord-downie-tragically-hip-dead-final-album.html
"The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close."

Thanks for a this moment of your time,
Owl.
An excerpt from an article on him pointed out that his very last album, for which he knew that he was dying, had a very personal theme: The lyrics he wrote for its 23 tracks aren’t metaphors or prayers but detailed love letters addressed to friends, family members, old flames and other key figures from his life.
THAT is a fucking baller move. This American tips his hat to recognize this guy that Canada loved.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Please forgive me if I offend any of you, but as I had only barely heard of Gordon Downie, may I suggest that while you mourn his loss, that you also celebrate his life as well as how he benefited yours? Based on what I have heard of him down here in Texas, that seems to me what he would want most of his friends, family & fans that he cared so much about.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
that you also celebrate his life as well as how he benefited yours? Based on what I have heard of him down here in Texas, that seems to me what he would want most of his friends, family & fans that he cared so much about
Indeed sir, and we'll said. We, as a nation, are doing just that. There are tributes and parties, libations and celebrations.
Yes, he will be missed, but he will always be celebrated.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Wow. I have heard of him, and by extension The Tragically Hip, but I don't think I've listened to them before. Big mistake...so much new favorite music this morning! And so many tears. After listening to Bobcaygeon five or six times, I get it, and I mourn with you and Canada.
Thanks Carlos. Yeah, they are an amazing band. Thank you for taking the time to have a listen.

Forgot your password?