Carrack 3.9

Smithory

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2019
RSI Handle
Sm1tty
And let's not forget about the huge revenue which is going to be generated by the Sq42 sale once released. This could allow CIG to hire more staff, which should speed up SC development even more.
There will be a free up of people once SQ42 ep1 is released, I would say a year to year and a half of full blown SC productions afterwards they will scale SC development back and start on SQ42 ep2

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The question is though how many new buyers will CIG pick up for SQ42 once it goes gold? I feel like the people who are interested in SQ42 have already bought it. Anyway I hope I'm wrong. They'll certainly need money coming in to pay off the development of SQ42 and push the PU through the door. Honestly if they need funds for the PU, I actually don't mind a traditional subscription model. I don't think the current ship pledging model is sustainable.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The question is though how many new buyers will CIG pick up for SQ42 once it goes gold? I feel like the people who are interested in SQ42 have already bought it. Anyway I hope I'm wrong. They'll certainly need money coming in to pay off the development of SQ42 and push the PU through the door. Honestly if they need funds for the PU, I actually don't mind a traditional subscription model. I don't think the current ship pledging model is sustainable.
This honestly is the billion-dollar question. I would say if SQ42 was ported to console then it has a chance of raking in lots of new cash but outside of that I am not sure how many PC gamers are waiting on the sidelines for the release of SQ42.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
This honestly is the billion-dollar question. I would say if SQ42 was ported to console then it has a chance of raking in lots of new cash but outside of that I am not sure how many PC gamers are waiting on the sidelines for the release of SQ42.
Absolutely. I think SQ42 should sell well on the next gen consoles (ie. PS5). A lot of PC folks are afraid that porting to console would somehow diminish the game. I disagree with that. I think any exposure to the general gaming public is good for SQ42 and in return SC as well. Star Citizen already gets a lot of bad press (often rightly so) in how the game is developed. Having a fully fleshed out SQ42 reach the console audience will go a long way in dispelling that reputation.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I suspect that S42 will release sooner than we expect and I suspect that part of the reason why it appears to be delayed has to do with the Crytech law-suite. CIG knows Crytech wants to hold off with suing them until after S42 is released and depending on the Judges ruling, the case may be over permanently. If not, CIG will more than likely appeal which will push things out even further. Crytech is going to try to get their hands on as much money as they can off of S42 sales.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I know a dozen people who intend to play but would never spend their time with an unfinished product, so I think there is a much larger market out there than most people know. Though I don't know how many WOW players etc. there have been, I would look to that kind of number, and I suspect it is much larger than the current SC backers number.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
If we're lucky.

Is it me or do CIG seem to be massively behind on ships at the moment.
Carrack didn't make 3.8
Cutlass red didn't make 3.8, but in soon.
Hull C removed from Roadmap
Prowler pushed back to 3.9
Cutlass blue removed from roadmap.
Hercules starlifter removed from roadmap.
Connie Taurus removed from roadmap.

NO ships scheduled for 4.0. None!

:/
They are absolutely behind, this is why they changed the road map and called it "staggered development" which I just call road map failure lol. Lets get honest here I know people love this game, I love this game to but I cant help but feel its in bad situation right now, my gut tells me their struggling to meet the SQ42 deadline and l get the sense that cost wise they are barely breaking even with ship sales, I think this is why they delayed the Carrack, they will have another Carrack sale now and make more money and they know it the Carrack is hands down one of the most popular ships in the game period and it sells like hotcakes. I think what used to be all about the game and productivity has essentially become more about ways to scrape as much backer dough out of the player base as possible. I think the ships being delayed and the road map changes are a result of SQ42 deadlines being put as essential priorities because they really cant afford for SQ42 to get delayed for say 1 year.

Again I know I have been criticized before for my views and comments but it has nothing to do with me hating the game, I absolutely love this game and I play it more now than I ever have but facts are facts, you cant deny the start of 2020 looks rough to say the least, this game is years out still and with SQ42 set to hit Alpha Q2? I have my doubts, then Beta in Q4? Beta is a finished product given to people to test before release, I have serious doubts this game will be Beta ready before the end of the year considering NONE of the chapters are completed and if for some reason they manage the miracle of getting it Beta ready by Q4 at what costs to the core game did it come? How far is it set back and how much did it cost the company to manage this feat. I hope I am wrong and maybe I am looking at this the wrong way but the signs say otherwise.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I know a dozen people who intend to play but would never spend their time with an unfinished product, so I think there is a much larger market out there than most people know. Though I don't know how many WOW players etc. there have been, I would look to that kind of number, and I suspect it is much larger than the current SC backers number.
Not sure WoW is a fair comparison, WoW overall is a much different game that appeals to a larger base, it is VERY casual oriented with SOME high end player content. Star Citizen is a completely differently animal, the player skill levels in WoW are minimal even in the mid to upper range end game isn't nearly the skill requirements this game is going to require, the CPU requirements alone will eliminate over half the WoW population right off the bat as WoW is 15 years old and does not take a hog of a system to run, the mere fact that this is a space sim almost as much as an RPG will eliminate many people as well as soon as they find out that flying is a large part of the game (yes I know you don't have to fly a ship). Lets not forget the time associated with playing this game, just quantum traveling around the system takes much longer than say flying from one flight point to another in wow is like 30 seconds or maybe a few minutes, there is a huge time commitment to SC in every thing you do and many people don't have that time or aren't willing to submit or commit to that.

Look, I think its a safe bet this game will exceed 2-3 million players world wide prolly more but I am not sure this will break WoW numbers, I just see to many factors here that exclude over 50% of the WoW player base right off the bat.

Again I know I am a Debby Downer or Negative Nancy but I just call it like I see it and if people think this is the next WoW killer or its going to break 12 million subscribers (i know it doesnt have subs but i think it will in the end) I don't think this game has as broad a player base as say a WoW for example.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
As for SQ42 generating this huge revenue, again I am not so sure about that, a small percentage of us already purchased the core game and SQ42 and as someone pointed out its a PC game which requires a somewhat decent rig to run at an enjoyable rate. I don't know why but again my gut tells me this is a space sim and many people aren't in to simulation type games, people who have never played a sim game are generally hesitant to even try one because they just assume its a skill check and lets not kid ourselves unless you were a sim guy prior to SC just hopping into a Arena Commander for the first time you feel you are way out of your element lol I know because I felt that way also.

I hope I am wrong about everything, I hope this game explodes onto the market and blows the numbers out of the water and maybe just maybe if they hype it enough, if they get tons of T.V. exposure and marketing it just might do that but I have my concerns.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
They are absolutely behind, this is why they changed the road map and called it "staggered development" which I just call road map failure lol. Lets get honest here I know people love this game, I love this game to but I cant help but feel its in bad situation right now, my gut tells me their struggling to meet the SQ42 deadline and l get the sense that cost wise they are barely breaking even with ship sales, I think this is why they delayed the Carrack, they will have another Carrack sale now and make more money and they know it the Carrack is hands down one of the most popular ships in the game period and it sells like hotcakes. I think what used to be all about the game and productivity has essentially become more about ways to scrape as much backer dough out of the player base as possible. I think the ships being delayed and the road map changes are a result of SQ42 deadlines being put as essential priorities because they really cant afford for SQ42 to get delayed for say 1 year.

Again I know I have been criticized before for my views and comments but it has nothing to do with me hating the game, I absolutely love this game and I play it more now than I ever have but facts are facts, you cant deny the start of 2020 looks rough to say the least, this game is years out still and with SQ42 set to hit Alpha Q2? I have my doubts, then Beta in Q4? Beta is a finished product given to people to test before release, I have serious doubts this game will be Beta ready before the end of the year considering NONE of the chapters are completed and if for some reason they manage the miracle of getting it Beta ready by Q4 at what costs to the core game did it come? How far is it set back and how much did it cost the company to manage this feat. I hope I am wrong and maybe I am looking at this the wrong way but the signs say otherwise.
Not sure WoW is a fair comparison, WoW overall is a much different game that appeals to a larger base, it is VERY casual oriented with SOME high end player content. Star Citizen is a completely differently animal, the player skill levels in WoW are minimal even in the mid to upper range end game isn't nearly the skill requirements this game is going to require, the CPU requirements alone will eliminate over half the WoW population right off the bat as WoW is 15 years old and does not take a hog of a system to run, the mere fact that this is a space sim almost as much as an RPG will eliminate many people as well as soon as they find out that flying is a large part of the game (yes I know you don't have to fly a ship). Lets not forget the time associated with playing this game, just quantum traveling around the system takes much longer than say flying from one flight point to another in wow is like 30 seconds or maybe a few minutes, there is a huge time commitment to SC in every thing you do and many people don't have that time or aren't willing to submit or commit to that.

Look, I think its a safe bet this game will exceed 2-3 million players world wide prolly more but I am not sure this will break WoW numbers, I just see to many factors here that exclude over 50% of the WoW player base right off the bat.

Again I know I am a Debby Downer or Negative Nancy but I just call it like I see it and if people think this is the next WoW killer or its going to break 12 million subscribers (i know it doesnt have subs but i think it will in the end) I don't think this game has as broad a player base as say a WoW for example.
As for SQ42 generating this huge revenue, again I am not so sure about that, a small percentage of us already purchased the core game and SQ42 and as someone pointed out its a PC game which requires a somewhat decent rig to run at an enjoyable rate. I don't know why but again my gut tells me this is a space sim and many people aren't in to simulation type games, people who have never played a sim game are generally hesitant to even try one because they just assume its a skill check and lets not kid ourselves unless you were a sim guy prior to SC just hopping into a Arena Commander for the first time you feel you are way out of your element lol I know because I felt that way also.

I hope I am wrong about everything, I hope this game explodes onto the market and blows the numbers out of the water and maybe just maybe if they hype it enough, if they get tons of T.V. exposure and marketing it just might do that but I have my concerns.
Beer.

Also, I have no concerns. But then, I am rather drunk.

Forgot your password?