Carrack

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
Anyone else notice the 5? (think it was 5) cargo bays on the lower section of the Carrack that are set up a lot like the caterpillar's, except for the fact you can't use the damn things because there are no doors. I really hope they finally fix this because that is a lot of wasted space that could be used for moving cargo around. Not sure if this is a case of "everyone thought someone was going to finish it, but noone did", but you would think it would be a reasonably easy fix. They are like caterpillar bays....... use caterpillar doors!!.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Anyone else notice the 5? (think it was 5) cargo bays on the lower section of the Carrack that are set up a lot like the caterpillar's, except for the fact you can't use the damn things because there are no doors. I really hope they finally fix this because that is a lot of wasted space that could be used for moving cargo around. Not sure if this is a case of "everyone thought someone was going to finish it, but noone did", but you would think it would be a reasonably easy fix. They are like caterpillar bays....... use caterpillar doors!!.
There are 3 of those cargo bays, which certainly need work done to make the contents accessible for loading/unloading (Freelancer's also have a similar issue with the "airlock" portion between the main cargo bay and hab section where cargo can be stored, as does 600i with cargo storage in the component bays in the rear.)... Hopefully the "doors" on them can be fixed when (or before) we get persistant hangards and cargo lifts.

Ideally, we'll also get the alternative modules for those Carrack bays, along with modules for the Caterpillar - And hopefully see the doors for the Caterpillar finally working as cargo lifts in the way that they are intended to.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Those are the modular areas of the Carrack, those will not be functional until that system comes online.
*looks at my non modular modular retaliator*

Keep dreaming boys!!!

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Certainly I've noticed, and what's more, unless I'm horribly mis-remembering, the Carrack even HAS the 'snappable' cargo grids to allow you to rearrange/secure any cargo boxes that 'magically' appear in there when you order them from a station, just no way to actually get them in or out!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm curious as to what sort of modules will eventually be available for the Carrack & Caterpillar as well as how much the construction module for the Galaxy will be. A part of me is thinking that including a base building Galaxy with a fleet of ships hauling the supplies to build outposts behind an exploration fleet, might be an interesting way to organize a network for exploration expansion as well as to capitalize on the realestate market in the future.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm hoping for a mining module and a refining module for quant.
Having a refining module that fits in 1 of those segments would be great, especially if it can also refine quantanium, which would free up another of them to store the refined quantanium ore until it can be handed over to a Starfarer to convert into Q-fuel that's then returned to the Carrack. It's a circle of flight!

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
I'm hoping for a mining module and a refining module for quant.
I don't imagine we'd see a mining module for the Caterpillar (although it would suit the front bay), and can't see how one could be fitted on the Carrack.

I imagine we'll see "standard" modules for both ships (Medical, living space), with the Catterpilar possibly having passenger compartments and maybe snub ship bays.

It would be nice to see some form of ground vehicle bays for each, with ramps to allow the vehicles to enter directly from the ground, possibly with maintenance facilities included.

• Glorious

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Yep. Can't wait until they put in physicalized cargo that requires you to load it yourself. Carrack owners are going to be majorly upset.

• o7

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
the prospector's mining rig can fit in a carrack's module pod at least 2 if not 3 times.
The mining rig can, yes, but having it useable for performing mining with it is the problem and why I doubt the Carrack would have a mining module.

Putting it on the front of the Caterpillar makes sense in that mining arms from there would have large arcs for movement, like the Prospector's, or the Mole's front turret, and positioning the ship to be able to use them is relatively simple. On the Carrack, or the side of the Caterpillar from the side opening bays, there is a lot less flexibility on where they can mine, with the ship's hull limiting movement, as well as making positioning the ship to be able to mine from there much harder.

• o7

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
On the Carrack, or the side of the Caterpillar from the side opening bays, there is a lot less flexibility on where they can mine, with the ship's hull limiting movement, as well as making positioning the ship to be able to mine from there much harder.
and that's something that can be considered a balancing act based on a philosophy of tradeoffs. it /should/ be more awkward to use, and /should/ be a lot less efficient than the Odyssey's built-in mining gear.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The only thing relevant is the phrase "Carrack is love, Carrackis life" everything else be speculation.
I mean they showed in concept art the ability to drop the cargo bins to make a temp base. Who knows what else we can do with them besides not be able to use it anymore for cargo runs given how much a pita it will be to load and unload it with physicalized cargo and working cargo elevators.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The only thing relevant is the phrase "Carrack is love, Carrackis life" everything else be speculation.
I mean they showed in concept art the ability to drop the cargo bins to make a temp base. Who knows what else we can do with them besides not be able to use it anymore for cargo runs given how much a pita it will be to load and unload it with physicalized cargo and working cargo elevators.
You've got a point & when they do bring in that physicalized cargo game play, I suspect that a lot of Carrack fans will get rather vocal about that while not being able to use their ship for much other than touring until CIG brings in the Carracks modularity to some degree.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?