CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
http://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/monetization-of-videos-and-streaming-policy

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/3az9bz/eve_news_changes_to_video_monetization_policy_ccp/

EVE creator CCP is changing their policy where you can still give away in-game currency or ships on your Twitch/YouTube channel, but it can't be done via paywall advertising, such as giveaways or contests for Subscribers or VIPs only. Generally speaking, the implied lottery-esque system isn't strictly enforced on either service, but the practice of doing giveaways only for paying viewers may violate ToS or local laws.

No one likes a paywall (content or contests accessible only via initial payment), but both Twitch and YouTube have the option to set content to paying subscribers-only as a money-generating platform for Partners. Per CCP's new terms, gamers who stream EVE or create EVE YouTube videos can no longer charge viewers extra to see their game being played or use their in-game assets for promotional purposes where only paying customers are eligible for the additional benefits.

While not directly Star Citizen-related, I can see CIG adopting a similar stance on promotional usage of their game in the future given their vocal support of Twitch streamers and YouTube creators while protecting their own intellectual property. Everyone knows that giving away game loot on your channel is a great way to bring in new viewers and gaming companies (excluding Nintendo) are very lenient in regards to gamers making money from playing their games, but it would appear that some are drawing the line at paywalls.

As someone who has done a lot of Star Citizen giveaways in the past, I'm leaning towards this being a good thing, even with the concept that some professional gamers' livelihoods depend on generating revenue from playing games whatever way they can. Keep it open, keep it fair, and no one will have a reason to complain with most being happier to support a more inclusive gamer and content creator.

Reactions: Wakapedia

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I completely agree with CCP's stance, however, I've seen other threads discussing the fact that it's not technically legal to do that stuff.

Additionally, most SC streamers aren't dicks.

Czechmate

Admiral
Feb 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Czechmate8
Looks like people are just going to stop using in game rewards. Break out the Plex cards from third party sites!

Forgot your password?