Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
When all dreams shatter...
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report-05012018

What struck me is that the Object Container Streaming is scheduled for the September release, which means that no additional planets-stations-cities or anything serious location wise, will be added before the end of the year. We will be stuck with what we have now, maybe the "Truck Stop" will be added sooner or some such small things...
Anyways, I find this report very disheartening for the moment. I know that they have shittons of stuff to work on and sort out, also they are probably using a lot of resources to finally make progress on SQ42. Yet looking at this report all I can think of is, nothing new for me to play with for another year.
BTW, no object container streaming sounds like no SQ42 either, as it's supposed to have the same huge universe and locations as SC, so it should need the same tech, but this is purely speculation on my part.

I'll go get a beer and look at it again to see this report in a more positive light.

PS.:Had beer, looked again, still not much happier. I hope those performance improvements mean a much more stable 30+ fps at least, that would make things a lot more enjoyable.

Starburger

Commander
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
Starburger
3.1 in march. I hope they Deliver. If they don't, there will be a lot of complaining.

Erin told me that they hated the fact that the backers had to go with out a content patch for a year. To remedy this, they will switch to a quarterly update system, everything that's not ready will go in 3.2.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
the planets, moons and asteroid belts in the current PU are already bigger than most AAA games

CIG is right to prioritize developing other aspects of gameplay over adding real estate

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I think we all need to calm down. The last thing we need right now is a bigger universe with more nothingness.

What we need is:
1. Big performance increase. I got an i7 and 1080ti and I I get 20fps. We need to triple that.
2. Bigger instances, ties in above but we need 100 or 200 players in an instance to make this game usable in the future. All without dropping your FPS. Tough ask!
3. More content, player beacons, ability to group up in game and share profits, mining, some more and varied missions. Improvements in cargo/commodity pricing, player bounty system.

All of the above is a massive undertaking, and all without increasing the map size or adding any more empty cities.

This is the perfect time for consolidation and improvement of what we have, not rapid expansion!!!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
You are seeing the issue they are having with the game engine scaling to handle the scope of this game. They have reached a point were the re-coding of the fundamental aspects of the engine is going to take a lot of time to accomplish it has been an issue for over a year now and will continue to take another year plus to complete. The issue is Cryengine was designed to handle a small multiplayer play area (20 players), load up all the assets into graphics memory and have a load screen between new play sessions. They have been trying to bend the engine to the growing scope for years but finally reached a point were it was no longer viable and a redo was required. The good news is even with the full effort of the development staff working on this aspect of the engine the artists and designers are still able to continue to work on ships, and locations and missions. The biggest impact is we will not see a lot of new game play features during this time period, but as far as I can tell being on the outside this is the last major engine modification with little noticeable user impact.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
All of you are absolutely right!
We need performance first, then gameplay features, then expansion of space to do it in.
I don't actually mind that we won't get more planets or star systems, but what that implies. In my mind I thought the Object streaming stuff IS a huge part of the necessary performance updates. I'm probably wrong on this, I dunno why I thought that...
I guess I was just hoping for some big announcement that would indicate that they are much further along in the performance/optimization department, and so they could start adding "more nothingness" sooner.
Aaaanywas, I'll go get my shit together, and try a cargo run in 3.0 to get my faith back :D

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
A good way to put it is look at histories examples of rapidly expanding expires.

They all crumbled.

They are doing it properly, they are building the logistics and means of having a useable expanded game that doesn't simply crumble because it ran before it could walk. That would infuriate gamers more than simply waiting longer.

Just wait as they implement mining and other professions in the year, it will add more places and areas as well so we won't be completely dry on content for a year, just no new planets or cities.

Hope you all aren't done with 3.0 already, I'm taking my sweet sweet time and am will in the "must explore that new thing over there" mentality and will try out other stuff as take my leisurely time with it all.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
A good way to put it is look at histories examples of rapidly expanding expires.
Empires?
You are seeing the issue they are having with the game engine scaling to handle the scope of this game. They have reached a point were the re-coding of the fundamental aspects of the engine is going to take a lot of time to accomplish it has been an issue for over a year now and will continue to take another year plus to complete. The issue is Cryengine was designed to handle a small multiplayer play area (20 players), load up all the assets into graphics memory and have a load screen between new play sessions. They have been trying to bend the engine to the growing scope for years but finally reached a point were it was no longer viable and a redo was required. The good news is even with the full effort of the development staff working on this aspect of the engine the artists and designers are still able to continue to work on ships, and locations and missions. The biggest impact is we will not see a lot of new game play features during this time period, but as far as I can tell being on the outside this is the last major engine modification with little noticeable user impact.
Spot on! And another reason why Crytek is suing, oh boy, the work that CIG is doing, using CryEngine as the starting point, is nothing less than monumental...and worth a shit ton of money.

The fact is, CIG is going way beyond where any other game currently is. Look at how little CryEngine could do to accomplish CR's vision. If Crytek can get any of that for free, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
the planets, moons and asteroid belts in the current PU are already bigger than most AAA games

CIG is right to prioritize developing other aspects of game-play over adding real estate
You are correct. 3.0 has given us enough to do until 3.1. Compared to the last few patches, we're miles ahead down the road.Let them work on more stability on net-code and severs to increase the number of victims , I mean players, in an instance. I'll be happy with stable running 30 fps for now.
I think we all need to calm down. The last thing we need right now is a bigger universe with more nothingness.

What we need is:
1. Big performance increase. I got an i7 and 1080ti and I I get 20fps. We need to triple that.
2. Bigger instances, ties in above but we need 100 or 200 players in an instance to make this game usable in the future. All without dropping your FPS. Tough ask!
3. More content, player beacons, ability to group up in game and share profits, mining, some more and varied missions. Improvements in cargo/commodity pricing, player bounty system.

All of the above is a massive undertaking, and all without increasing the map size or adding any more empty cities.

This is the perfect time for consolidation and improvement of what we have, not rapid expansion!!!
This. This all I want for now. If (when) they can give us #2 and #3, a lot of players will be very very happy.

SCHEDULE ALL THE THINGS!
Bastards_996694.jpg

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
You are correct. 3.0 has given us enough to do until 3.1. Compared to the last few patches, we're miles ahead down the road.Let them work on more stability on net-code and severs to increase the number of victims , I mean players in an instance. I'll be happy with stable running 30 fps fo rnow.
This. This all I want for now. If (when) they can give us #2 and #3, a lot of players will be very very happy.

View attachment 8852
yuuuuup

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
But there is nothing there. Don't tell me that hundreds of thousands of kilometers of nothing on the surface of a planet with a 20x20m damned outpost is a huge "playable area" because that's not true. It's 20x20m of playable area.
"But it's a lot bigger than the world of Fallout 4 and Skyrim and GTA 5 put together". It absolutely is not. There's more content in 2-3 buildings from Fallout 4 than there is in the whole of SC in 3.0.

Forgot your password?