CitizenCon 2951 Summary?

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Is there a summary of this year's CitizenCon somewhere? Just wanted to know if we were getting any new systems? Server meshing? Basically what new features is available, or did SC wasted another year and just put a out new ships for sale?
At this rate Mr Roberts might have to eat his words of SC not going to take 10 years haha.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Is there a summary of this year's CitizenCon somewhere? Just wanted to know if we were getting any new systems? Server meshing? Basically what new features is available, or did SC wasted another year and just put a out new ships for sale?
At this rate Mr Roberts might have to eat his words of SC not going to take 10 years haha.
There was nothing about timelines or future content beyond what Tony talked about in Systemic Gameplay (a good watch if you haven't seen it yet).

TIMESTAMPS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE
00:00:14 Introduction
00:00:40 Selling
00:06:35 Localized Inventory
00:11:44 Physicalized Cargo
00:30:15 Reputation
00:46:47 Nine Tails and Jumptown v2
01:16:03 Xenothreat and Infiltrator
-- QUANTUM UPDATE --
01:22:50 Introduction
01:23:32 Probability Volumes
01:26:40 Service Beacons
01:29:11 Dynamic Prices
01:31:18 Systemic Triggers
01:34:14 Conclusion

There was some talk about how they are going about implementing server meshing and that they want to introduce shards first which has been known for some time. There was a tech demo of how they want missions to play out shortly as well as one of the planets of Pyro so I'd say pyro if not already done is near complete enough to be added to the game once shards are done.
No updates on SQ42 and it really feels like they are not going to show us future plans nor really talk about timelines outside of what they are sharing with us on the roadmap.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The highlight of this year for me is gonna be the Looting and Selling in 3.15, along with getting drugged to death in "safe" areas by self-appointed "medics", cos that's a thing now.

If you want a short rundown of everything that was shown, TheNoobifiers vids on youtube are the shortest and most complete you can get.

Sadly you are mostly correct, ships ships and more ships. Basically the show was a collection of stuff that was already shown during the year, some went into more detail like the Pyro planet showcase and shiptalk. Nothing promised, no timeframes, not even a cheeky lie from CR of "Pyro by Christmas 2021" or anything of the sort.

The best I can give you is that supposedly by 3.16 (end of this year patch) we should have at least a very basic minimalist Quanta system in place that makes Fuel/Repair/Ammo pricing dynamic, along with density of random pirate encounters and those emergency beacon missions that generates. That's it really for this year.

Summary of stuff shown in no particular order:
- whale bait (bmm, 400i, Liberator)
- pyro planets and story, short showcase mission played out different ways on Pyro 3 (planets look complete as @Bambooza said). Pyro coming in 4.0. When? see Server Meshing
- planetside base building tool (implemented for players as well as devs, we gonna be building homesteads soonTM I think)
- gen12 multithreaded renderer and vulkan implementation on the way, no timeline given
- Server Meshing: everything depends on this system, thus all systems have to be edited to implement it, no timeline/date given as to When: "when it's done"
- internal sound dev software change and how it's easier to dev with, absolutely irrelevant but you gotta keep the sound devs occupied with REFACTORING WHOLE GAME AUDIO AGAIN (cos that's the actual takeaway from this)
- how reputation will drive missions, faction disposition towards player, interesting stuff
- quanta system driving prices and missions (combines with rep for player), dynamic event triggers like doing Xenothreat or DrugGank 2.0 only if certain triggers are triggered by the Quanta sim. Again, interesting stuff but we knew this was the goal since day1. At least it was shown that it works on their internal test thingy.

edit: CR KEYNOTE SPEACH: MIA
ToW: MIA
SQ42: MIA
Salvage/Repair/InfoRunning: MIA

That's all I can remember and I wasn't even drinking... This reminds me, where's my Tamnavulin?!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Haha. I'm with ya on the server meshing. Some real news about that topic would be nice.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Even at 10 systems per year it is still 10 more years.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Even at 10 systems per year it is still 10 more years.
That's a good thing as it means the game will not grow stale and I don't think they will hold up the game going beta before that. Honestly, the biggest takeaway is that everything is backed up behind the server constraints that need to be fixed by server meshing. That there is lots of content completed just no way to bring it online at this time.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
That's a good thing as it means the game will not grow stale and I don't think they will hold up the game going beta before that. Honestly, the biggest takeaway is that everything is backed up behind the server constraints that need to be fixed by server meshing. That there is lots of content completed just no way to bring it online at this time.
They still aren't finished with Stanton.
Server performance has nothing to do with system building, just adding the systems to what we currently have.

100 systems at launch was the stretch goal.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
They still aren't finished with Stanton.
Server performance has nothing to do with system building, just adding the systems to what we currently have.

100 systems at launch was the stretch goal.
Which is why they outsourced system building to Turbulent. But the other thing is that the original concept was 100 systems with a few landing zones/points of interest per system. The game has realistically grown well beyond that with whole physicalized planets and lots more POI's and landing zones than we would have had originally just within the current Stanton System.

I've never understood this hardline stance on we were promised 100 systems when we already have so much more by way of planet tech. Especially when they can use new systems to bring about new content for years to come.

Forgot your password?