CitizenCon 2953 Discussion Thread

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Why no one started this thread already is beyond me, you all must be real drunk like proper Testies lol

So , what do we all think after Day 1? Disappointed, excited, filled with new hopium?

Personally, the "keynote" was a bit of a downer with the announcement of end of year 3.22 instead of 4.0, not much else said.
But.

The things they did with fire, water, UI, cloth sim and GI was really cool and I enjoyed the behind the scenes view at the tech. As a CG artist it's interesting to see how stuff we use for offline rendering and simulation, stuff which used to be unimaginable in a real-time environment just a couple of years ago, is now becoming part of a game engine even if only on a simplified level.

But but, most importantly: Replication layer and SERVER MESHING WORKING!
That was such a short simplified panel, but it was maybe the most important step towards a real working game in like ever!

Also, MAPS! Datarunning!

Overall, it was great to see a proper real live show after so many years, with finally some real progress showing, not just rehashes of old youtube content and new stuff to sell.
Speaking of which. I don't really care about the new ships announced, and they still haven't made any real progress on the merchantman lol. Not that I care for that either, but I know it's a real sore point for the owners.

The most pointless yet progress showing part was repair/maintenance gameplay, with the close to zero ttk. I wonder if this will ever make any sense...
The rest was neato cheeto!

I can't wait for the SQ42 content tomorrow! *hopium intake intensifies*

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Personally, I'd have to say that to me Thanksgiving came a month early based on each of the hype bombs that the various panels provided. I'm still mentally adjusting to all of the information provided today while periodically checking to see when CIG starts uploading the vids from today's content on to YouTube for me to share with friends that couldn't watch due to having to work. This being said, the StarEngine demo completely blew my mind & I've been a backer since 2014.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Some seriously good stuff in there good to know that progress is now being made in many areas.

I think people need to calm down on the obsessive-compulsive ship buying though as every single ship bought is a reason for CR to not actually finish the game in a hurry.

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord
I think the same I have been thinking for the last ... 4, maybe 5 years?

Lots of promises of "just this little bit of Jesustech" and "We only need this, then we plan to do that and maybe this at some point in the next 12 months."

Nothing finished.
Nothing in my hand.
Another year with no progress on my SSD.

Instead we get "Hey, if you buy enough, you might win the lottery and be allowed to test Pyro on the extra only-for-special-people-server".
Further segregating the community into whale backers and second-class backers.
Don't even bother to try the tripe "Also for people that test much"
It's blatant "Be a concierge backer and buy our shitty citcon digital goodies, you might get to see Pyro"

I keep hearing "Just this little bit more, then we will see the promised progress and content."
Somehow, it never happens. Only new tech demos that never materialise in the PU.

Where is my fucking Sandworm? Where is Pyro? Where is SQ42? Where are the literally dozens of unfinished ships? Where is my fucking SotA Crossbow?
Where is the new 0G movement that was oh so great and coming soon at the last presentation? Where are the new missions? The Investigations? Where is anything that was promised a year ago?

In closing:
Fuck CitCon, another fucking wasted year, just like last year.

Thank you for your time, have a nice day and all such things. See you in the Verse.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I think the same I have been thinking for the last ... 4, maybe 5 years?

Lots of promises of "just this little bit of Jesustech" and "We only need this, then we plan to do that and maybe this at some point in the next 12 months."

Nothing finished.
Nothing in my hand.
Another year with no progress on my SSD.

Instead we get "Hey, if you buy enough, you might win the lottery and be allowed to test Pyro on the extra only-for-special-people-server".
Further segregating the community into whale backers and second-class backers.
Don't even bother to try the tripe "Also for people that test much"
It's blatant "Be a concierge backer and buy our shitty citcon digital goodies, you might get to see Pyro"

I keep hearing "Just this little bit more, then we will see the promised progress and content."
Somehow, it never happens. Only new tech demos that never materialise in the PU.

Where is my fucking Sandworm? Where is Pyro? Where is SQ42? Where are the literally dozens of unfinished ships? Where is my fucking SotA Crossbow?
Where is the new 0G movement that was oh so great and coming soon at the last presentation? Where are the new missions? The Investigations? Where is anything that was promised a year ago?

In closing:
Fuck CitCon, another fucking wasted year, just like last year.

Thank you for your time, have a nice day and all such things. See you in the Verse.
umm, I would agree if it was the citcons of past 4-5 years. But this one isn't. A lot of the stuff shown, like new hairs, sims and such, will be in by end of year because they are DONE.
It's a first from CiG really, but finally somethings are done.

Oh, and SQ42 is FEATURE COMPLETE!!!! HOLY EFFING COOOW!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtjzLzs7V8

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
So, am I alone in needing a bit of time to let everything I've seen over the past couple days decompress from being in shock caused by all that information & proof of their progress? Other than the last couple hours, I'd have to say that day 2 was good but nowhere near as awesome as day 1. I'm not complaining in any manner though.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I
umm, I would agree if it was the citcons of past 4-5 years. But this one isn't. A lot of the stuff shown, like new hairs, sims and such, will be in by end of year because they are DONE.

WE HELD THE FUCKING LINE!

So happy. They’ve come a long way since I backed back in 2012. :thump:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So, am I alone in needing a bit of time to let everything I've seen over the past couple days decompress from being in shock caused by all that information & proof of their progress? Other than the last couple hours, I'd have to say that day 2 was good but nowhere near as awesome as day 1. I'm not complaining in any manner though.
C'mon, the hairs were way more mind blowing than anything on day1! lol
Especially that we are getting a bunch of em this year!

Over the last couple of years I was very much down on SC hype and discouraged by the, let's be honest here, absolute total lack of any meaningful progress. My overall commetns were ranging from slightly negative to ranting, and not much else.
Now we know why we saw no progress, and holy shit, what a change!
I take it all back.. as soon as I see all of it playing on my PC.

I did notice in the squadron gameplay sections that despite it being offline and obviously much farther in development than what we have, the same momentary full stop occurs whenever a ship blows up lol. That glitch has been in the game since forever at this point. Also there were quiet a few other graphical glitches (from black triangles popping in instead of effects to the knife clipping through the spine of the guy), so just on the visual front, there's a long way to go for a polished state.

I know SQ42 is still at least a year or so away. But, with some push, they might be aiming for 2024 xmas season release? Would that make sense? Is it even possible or am I being way too optimistic? Whadda ya all think?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I loved the entire character customization segment, especially since I know that a lot more people will be interested in playing SC where they can make themselves look attractive. I have a lot of female gamer friends & that's been their biggest hold out to giving SC a try. This being said, most of them would also want to be able to not be forced to be members of the IBTC (itty-bitty-titty-committy) & want to be able to scale up their chests a bit more.

While the character customization was great, that Star Engine tech demo was spectacular. Seeing the space cows peacefully grazing away & the space whales enjoying life in the clouds with their pod are things that I've been waiting to see for as long as I've know that those would be in the game eventually. I really like the new quantum animations & was blown away that the "jump point" was a singularity acting as an entrance to a worm hole. Which reminds me of the movie Wing Commander. (don't hate, I actually enjoy that movie & find it amusing)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I loved the entire character customization segment, especially since I know that a lot more people will be interested in playing SC where they can make themselves look attractive. I have a lot of female gamer friends & that's been their biggest hold out to giving SC a try. This being said, most of them would also want to be able to not be forced to be members of the IBTC (itty-bitty-titty-committy) & want to be able to scale up their chests a bit more.

While the character customization was great, that Star Engine tech demo was spectacular. Seeing the space cows peacefully grazing away & the space whales enjoying life in the clouds with their pod are things that I've been waiting to see for as long as I've know that those would be in the game eventually. I really like the new quantum animations & was blown away that the "jump point" was a singularity acting as an entrance to a worm hole. Which reminds me of the movie Wing Commander. (don't hate, I actually enjoy that movie & find it amusing)
There is another person apart from me who actually enjoyed that movie?! Wow! Ya know, it was fun and actually kinda lore accurate story wise, at least accurate to some book I read...

I didn't really like the very toned down look of the inside of the wormhole, but as it seems like we won't be spengin much time inside, not having to navigate it anymore, I'm fine with that. The entry reminded me more of Stargate, it's really neat to see it working!

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
apart from the quicktime prompts, starship gun spread & sniper mode, I want everything I saw in citizencon right fucking now.

We have to start planning TESTopolis so that when the base building feature is released, we can make the TEST City Best City a reality in SC.

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord

Call me cynical, call me burned too many times, but I'll believe it when anything of what was shown is on my SSD.
So far, there is nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to finally have a beard, beard makes everything better, but so far all I have is yet another promise that this time, we are really making progress, no really, totally, believe us.
I've seen Space Cow, I want to hunt Space Cow, but I've also seen Sandworm, and that NEVER came back. I want to ride the Space Whale, but fuck, instead of giving me space whale I still have no access to my fish tank.
Still no word on my fucking crossbow, btw.

I'm not being negative just to be negative. I was just as hyped as anyone else was last night. Ask Montoya, I was even having FUN during the presentation.
I just don't have enough faith left in me to believe that this time, CIG is actually going to deliver.
Until it is on my SSD, it's just fluff and promises.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I have mixed feelings. A lot of the tech was just incrimental updates to tech they showcased years ago (4+) like fire and cloth. Others like the map and in game ui elements (building blocks) is nice to see it fleshed out some more.

Also great info on ships and ship components health and wear.

Was a bit shocked to see destructible objects like cover being blown away.

Seems like the multi tool beam is leaned into fully to move things around in the verse instead of bespoke items like carts, forklifts etc.

But honestly outside of the server mesh it wasn't until hold the line that we truly saw what they had been working on that was eating up all the funding and dev time.

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
I'll believe it when anything of what was shown is on my SSD.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to finally have a beard, beard makes everything better, but so far all I have is yet another promise that this time, we are really making progress, no really, totally, believe us.
I've seen Space Cow, I want to hunt Space Cow, but I've also seen Sandworm, and that NEVER came back. I want to ride the Space Whale, but fuck, instead of giving me space whale I still have no access to my fish tank.
Still no word on my fucking crossbow, btw.

I'm not being negative just to be negative. I was just as hyped as anyone else was last night. Ask Montoya, I was even having FUN during the presentation.
I just don't have enough faith left in me to believe that this time, CIG is actually going to deliver.
Until it is on my SSD, it's just fluff and promises.
understandable. I'm with you on all of that.

Was a bit shocked to see destructible objects like cover being blown away.
Battlefield 2945 😛 EA are going to have some competition!

Seems like the multi tool beam is leaned into fully to move things around in the verse instead of bespoke items like carts, forklifts etc.
Half-Life 42 confirmed! (it doesn't have a 3 in the name so it WILL be released)

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Now that I am home and rested, I gotta say, I went here with no real expectations and to just mingle and hang out with people and drink (mission successful!) But what came and the end of Sunday was a pleasurable surprise and finally shows that this little indie studio is now about to push back against typical AAA routines. Base building will obviously require us to have a distellery for the glory of TEST!.

The after party was great and even got to meet and hug Sandi and Chris themselves who really took the time to talk to everyone they could, also got stalked by Todd Papy over the weekend so I might have a secret admirer now.....All the devs definitely showed a massive relief it seemed so the next 24 months will be massive for a lot of us even if updates to the PU are not tangible.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Now that I am home and rested, I gotta say, I went here with no real expectations and to just mingle and hang out with people and drink (mission successful!) But what came and the end of Sunday was a pleasurable surprise and finally shows that this little indie studio is now about to push back against typical AAA routines. Base building will obviously require us to have a distellery for the glory of TEST!.

The after party was great and even got to meet and hug Sandi and Chris themselves who really took the time to talk to everyone they could, also got stalked by Todd Papy over the weekend so I might have a secret admirer now.....All the devs definitely showed a massive relief it seemed so the next 24 months will be massive for a lot of us even if updates to the PU are not tangible.
Can we have a huge grill at the base, and some pizza ovens as well? Ya know, just to add some padding for the copius amounts of beer we will be having!

24 months? Oddly specific, Do you know something we don't??

Been browsing around YT and came upon this:
"we know it's fake, there should have been 3 loading screens by now"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taNnU_KAOh0

So apparently even the generic big names like this Asmongold guy was damn impressed by the engine demo. Would've been interesting to read the chat to see what the vibe is among the normies in there. Is this impressive enough for them yet? Or are we all getting scammed still? lol

Forgot your password?