COMM-UNITY: Soviets take on input devices

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Soooo listening to a replay of RTV this evening and a THOUGHT came to my head. This is surprising in itself with being in as school house while ALSO working on, yet another, thesis paper....

The thought... RTV gave an update on the SC HOTAS system.... Would CIG be naïve enough to not modify the current controller setup as CGPrepper skillfully and artistically spoke about in his video? If they would like to get people to purchase this new controller they would have to modify the controller options to give HOTAS a better value as a pilot in AC/SC... right?

Of course I would make this comment on the REDDIT thread... but I had enough down votes for asking the simple question about this "promise" that goes against the mouse commanders in flight. Lesson learned: never play devils advocate on REDDIT...

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Good job with the video, as a mouse and keyboard user, i never knew how big of a deal this was until I saw your take on it. Hopefully CIG takes notice also :P

RedjackQuisterJr

Rear Admiral
Sep 28, 2014
RSI Handle
redjack_quister_jr
as my suggestion to balance

1) make relative mode have continuous input and that will surely sway gimbal users to use relative mode
2) separate pilot from gimbal aim, by that I mean pilot will fly while another crew will use the turret. if the pilot really wants to use the turret then it should be locked.

rzeznicc

Captain
Mar 6, 2015
RSI Handle
rzeznicc
hey, awesome video man! thanks for the pleasure of watching it

One thing to point out: youre not asking CIG to make "balanced" controlls for a "space sim", youre asking them to invent a method and a device to control holonomic 6dof object and different view points / tracking problems all in one. This is a nobel prize material, and once they achieve it, it will be a de facto standard in real space flight, "flying cars", submersive sports et cetera ...

The simpliest solution in real life engineering is not to put a human in fornt of a complex device but automate it, sadly. We just cant overcome what we are and how we percive and interact spatialy.

Forgot your password?