COMM-UNITY: Soviets take on input devices

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Perfect video... its of course funny. It has Putin in it.. how can it not be epic; but the truth of the matter is that it hits on a KEY argument of controller options.

The conversation in REDDIT is pretty spot on with a lot of agreement with the OP. The [CONCERN[ obviously for most is.. if both hands are occupied by controller when will CIG (or perhaps a Test promoted product to raise funds.. IDEA FAIRY STRIKES AGAIN) offer space helmet option with two cup holders to hold beer/alcohol with a cool LED straw to allow "hydration of liquid courage fuel" for the player?

Reactions: honcho12

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
That was great pepper, I completely agree. To each their own, I say. Balancing comes with pros and cons and right now I feel as though they are going in the right direction with said balancing in my opinion (but leave it to the bullheaded consumer to want his way and his way alone in lieu of the experience and knowledge of experienced game designers).

Once acceleration and ship armour has been addressed, I believe that this playing field will be even more level but until then, as you say, there's always the katamarii thread to be ignored in.

Also happy to see some of our old action footage make it to the cut as well!

Edit: Oh gods the comments section, why did I bother putting my foot into this mess! D:

Last edited:

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Edit: Oh gods the comments section, why did I bother putting my foot into this mess! D:
Oh.... I didn't say to COMMENT in the comment section; but check it out because some of the arguments are pretty spot on. Personally I hate mouse commanders; but also understand that it is needed to appeal to the entire community....

Reactions: Myre

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
Oh.... I didn't say to COMMENT in the comment section; but check it out because some of the arguments are pretty spot on....
It's too late! It's over for me now! My inbox will never be the same again!

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
So much butthurt in that comment section.

I may seriously see about trying to do a mouse for gimbals+joystick for flight type of setup.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
HOSAM, it is the way of the future. Build a custom lefty stick with a horizontal grip and a thumbstick like this guy did. http://www.reddit.com/r/TestSquadron/comments/2jy23h/i_was_alternately_drunk_and_sober_enough_to_build/
That is damned impressive. I don't think I need anything that fancy though. I'm going to use voice attack for lots of things like throttle and shield control. Other things will work well as hot-keys on the KB. For a brief moment I thought about two mice, but I don't care enough to try and get it working. For now I may just have to use a 360 controller and a mouse.

shadowvinez

Rear Admiral
May 30, 2015
RSI Handle
vinez
If they can correctly identify distinct advantages of input layouts and balance those I am fine with it as long as they don't try to balance the fact that more people are practiced with one input type versus another. (which sounds hard as hell) tbh I don't know how much this really matters in the grand scheme, I mean it only applies to dog fighting in smaller ships which is only a single aspect of a very large game.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I mean it only applies to dog fighting in smaller ships which is only a single aspect of a very large game.
If flying in your multicrew ship with AI turret gunners proves to be effective against single seaters, then yes.

Im not going to be the best pilot out there, but I would like to last more than 10sec in a dogfight using my HOTAS.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Spot on. I play with mouse exclusively (I have 2 joysticks, but after 40+ hours in Elite and Arena Commander, I still dislike them). But the current mouse controls are

a) Garbage. The deadzone for aiming gimbals is frankly goddamn terrible, and it makes it almost impossible to actually fly. Buuuuut relative mode (Ctrl + C) doesn't have the continuous input like the regular mode, so I have to lift my mouse off the mat in tight fights all the time to recenter it :/

b) overpowered as shit. The mouse controls suck ass, and everyone knows it. But gimbals are so OP that it doesn't matter. Separate aim + flight for mouse like every other input (except gamepad/controller maybe? They have 2 sticks though so that's fine IMO)

I would also be a fan TESTING, for a patch or two, pilot controlled gimbals from 1 person ships, and making manned (Cutlass, Gladiator) and remote controlled (Super Hornet) turrets the only weapons that can track independently of flight

shadowvinez

Rear Admiral
May 30, 2015
RSI Handle
vinez
If flying in your multicrew ship with AI turret gunners proves to be effective against single seaters, then yes.

Im not going to be the best pilot out there, but I would like to last more than 10sec in a dogfight using my HOTAS.
I have flown with a couple of people who can't use kb/m they exclusively use a HOTAS because that's what they are use to and they do pretty good they certainly survive though they are still at a disadvantage they do seem to do well in racing however. I am not really convinced that a joystick would even be a realistic control system for space anyway.

shadowvinez

Rear Admiral
May 30, 2015
RSI Handle
vinez
Spot on. I play with mouse exclusively (I have 2 joysticks, but after 40+ hours in Elite and Arena Commander, I still dislike them). But the current mouse controls are

a) Garbage. The deadzone for aiming gimbals is frankly goddamn terrible, and it makes it almost impossible to actually fly. Buuuuut relative mode (Ctrl + C) doesn't have the continuous input like the regular mode, so I have to lift my mouse off the mat in tight fights all the time to recenter it :/

b) overpowered as shit. The mouse controls suck ass, and everyone knows it. But gimbals are so OP that it doesn't matter. Separate aim + flight for mouse like every other input (except gamepad/controller maybe? They have 2 sticks though so that's fine IMO)

I would also be a fan TESTING, for a patch or two, pilot controlled gimbals from 1 person ships, and making manned (Cutlass, Gladiator) and remote controlled (Super Hornet) turrets the only weapons that can track independently of flight
This is likely an unpopular opinion but I feel gimbals being auto aim would solve much of the argument while being more realistic. please remember fully automated turrets that can shoot mortars out of the air already exist.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
I have flown with a couple of people who can't use kb/m they exclusively use a HOTAS because that's what they are use to and they do pretty good they certainly survive though they are still at a disadvantage they do seem to do well in racing however. I am not really convinced that a joystick would even be a realistic control system for space anyway.
Yet that joystick is modeled inside the cockpit anyway.
Btw, the video doesn't argue against gimballed weapons, just that you use them with intended separate devices. Extra mouse, or TrackIr or a wiiMote, whatever.

on the unrelated note, look who's made it into the big leagues

Reactions: Dalarast and Myre
Forgot your password?