Contract positions suck

EnclaveZombie

Vice Admiral
Aug 8, 2015
RSI Handle
EnclaveZombie
Please feel free to ignore this.

WARNING: Foul Language Inbound

So today has been a generally pretty shit day, and I am a pretty reserved person so I am gonna use this as a platform to express my frustrations. After moving back to my hometown over a year ago I have had an absolute hell of a time finding decent work. I work in IT and I keep finding myself in positions where either the work has dried up or never existed to begin with.

I started a 6 month contract position that was due to end in the next week or so. I knew that the possibility of extension was there as the other contractor had been there for over a year on the same type of contract. Anyway I received a call earlier today from my staffing agency. "They will not be renewing your contract and they don't need you to come in for your shift today, sorry."..............hang up phone....... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

The job was absolute bullshit, the environment sucked (got sick several times and bug problems), and half the people drove me up the wall with what fucking assholes they were. I was already looking for work but with no luck so now with this sudden loss of work I am kind of up shit creek.

Reactions: AwesomeDude

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Fellow IT contractor here. I know the feeling. I've received everything from 30-day notices with generous separation packages to 30-minute notices on the last day of the contract where someone just says, "Sorry, but your contract was not renewed. You have 5 minutes to clear out your belongings before security walks you out."

I've been doing this for nearly 15 years now and while the pay has always been a little above average when employed, the perpetual lack of job security does get old after awhile. I'd like to find something more stable in the long run.

Reactions: mromutt

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I pull a military contract here and there. Its GREAT money and I never want to be "kept on" following the contract so it works out for me.

EnclaveZombie - Good luck man. Hope it works out for you in the end.

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
Word, I've been some form of software test engineer for the past 6 years, and it's been rough. My current contract has the possibility of just never ending, at a great company.. which sucks because I wont ever be employed by them as an actual employee. Plus the pay hasn't been that great.
Good luck on the future prospects, remember no matter how burned out you feel to look positive. It goes a long way, and I know I never agree to have a new hire that looks like they have given up. Cheers mate, best of luck!

EnclaveZombie

Vice Admiral
Aug 8, 2015
RSI Handle
EnclaveZombie
Thanks for the support guys, I am a pretty anti-social person so I don't keep a very big network. So things like this are a bit rough and where I live doesn't help much either but thankfully I kind of already had a bad feeling about this (because my supe was a raging bitch, never did like her) so I had already been looking for work. Not that I have found anything but at least my concerns were validated.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
I'm very thankful for what I have. I can't bear to think of raising a family while under a contract, despite the attractive pay. Just not reliable enough. Thank you for the perspective! :)

Last edited:

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
That's rough to hear. I wish you luck in trying to find another job to fuel your SC addiction. I know the stress of living paycheck to paycheck, but that at least was a dependable paycheck. I honestly don't know that I'd be brave enough to take on a career that didn't have a guaranteed paycheck.

Forgot your password?