Controller Thoughts...

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Saitek have a reputation for quality control issues. That said I've got an X52 pro which works magically and has been perfect for about 2 years now. I think you either get a good one or a bad one, and gods help you if you get a bad one. If the X56 will be any better I don't know, it appears to be basically an x55 with a couple of mini sticks added on, which is a fairly good pedigree, but is generally regarded as the lowest quality expensive stick on the market. The mini sticks should be nice for strafing so if the quality is good then the X56 could genuinely be a good space sim stick.

Now It's not out yet, so wait for some reviews to come out, I'm just suggesting caution on jumping right in. Saitek are also making the Star citizen hotas setups, those look like x52 and x65 clones, though details aren't out yet. If so then Saitek are essentially making clones of their 3 main sticks over the next year or so. Additionally Thrustmaster are just about to announce a new range, the reveal should be on may the 4th (star wars themed stick? :P), no clue if this will be up in the Warthog quality range or not. However what we will likely see is people jumping ship and selling off their old sticks once preorders start being fulfilled, so if you don't mind a second hand stick I'd wait and see a bit longer and hopefully the prices will drop. VKB are also doing some stuff, but good luck getting hold of that!

TLDR: I really encourage a hotas setup, they are great fun, but now is about the worst time to buy one, there are half a dozen new ones coming out this year and it'll be good to see how those review before picking a side, at the very least wait 1 week to find out what Thrustmaster are up to!

Reactions: AstroSam

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
If I were you I would wait for the new thrustmaster.

Hahahaha @ the Saitek blurb: "Military-grade Space and Flight Sim Precision"

Military grade my arse. They can't even make a joystick that lasts 3 years. Saitek have NEVER made anything for the military. Unlike CH Products which makes loads for the military and even thrustmaster have done one or two things that have been used in anger.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Thrust master 16000M is pretty good. It's cheap and seems to work quite well.

But I'm not much of an expert.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Well we've heard from the thrustmaster event now. While a lot of people were disappointed due to there being no replacement for the Warthog they are remaking the 16000. FYI the 16000 uses the same hall sensors as the warthog and a lot of people swear by it as a great entry level stick or second stick for dual stick setups.

Of course just like the X56 it's too early to be sure about the quality of it, but it will be cheaper and they are actually making a separate throttle to match it now.

If you can, I'd wait for these to be released and have some reviews before committing.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Anyone have information on what I've heard that Saitek is seriously on struggle street and may possibly go through the ringer? This is suppost to be the reason the RSI stick preorders keep getting put on the back burner?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It doesn't surprise me, if they're getting back one in every 2 joysticks sold, that can not fundamentally be profitable I wouldn't have thought. It costs way more to deal with all the customer service, returns and bad press than it would just to up the quality by 10$ per joystick.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Military-grade Space and Flight Sim
Every damn time I hear "military grade" I run in the opposite direction. To me, military grade means "the lowest bidder". Haha.
Ford and their "military grade aluminum frames". That shit is scary. Ha.

A little of topic, but this is TEST. ;)

I use the x55 personally. I live in Canada, and the exchange rate is garbage, so getting it for $200 CAD was a god send. That being said, the first one I bought wouldn't center and drifted all over. I took it back, got a replacement, and have had no issues since. It's been about a year.

There are better setups. I reckon it just depends on what you can spend.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Thing is how many times would you take you're car back if you bought it and it didn't drive straight? If a car had a 50% rate of that then people would not buy it - for some reason people keep bying Saitek. Must be the alloy wheels and MP3 player that makes them put up with the breakdowns and wonly driving? :O

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Thing is how many times would you take you're car back if you bought it and it didn't drive straight? If a car had a 50% rate of that then people would not buy it - for some reason people keep bying Saitek. Must be the alloy wheels and MP3 player that makes them put up with the breakdowns and wonly driving? :O
Concur. The price was right, and that's about the only reason I got one. We shall see how the x56 and the SC HOTAS work out. Maybe they've addressed some QC issues.

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
As far as Saitec is concerned, I haven't really heard much good about their quality... most people I know IRL which used them, gave them back after 1-2 replacements which didn't work either.

They might be cheap in comparsion, but we're still talking around 200€ for a relatively low-tech input device.

You also need to know that right now, the reviews on SC+HOTAS are somewhat biased, because it's either tested against AI or in Racing, which does give you some sort of prediction. If you end up against a Player, you will often find yourself confused due to the time it takes the Ship to Adjust thrusters.

In General, HOTAS or Joysticks are made with Flight Simulations in mind, but Planes will give you instant feedback (unless stalled) and even if you'd feel a little delay (dunno if any sim atm goes that far on the WW2 Planes), so I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work out.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Makes you wonder why SC would even think about joining in a venture with Saitek to build a HOTAS for such a very invested game with such a substandard company. Thrustmaster would seem like the better marriage to me!

Reactions: AstroSam and BUTUZ

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
It's probably not easy to find a company willing to do what RSI wanted to do, there's only 4 main HOTAS makers out there, not many people to ask. Then your market share for the product is only people who play SC, and then only the fraction of those that want a HOTAS and then only a fraction of those that don't already have a solution that they are happy with!

Not surprising what we are getting appears to be cosmetic mods from the company desperate to get back on the ladder.

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Makes you wonder why SC would even think about joining in a venture with Saitek to build a HOTAS for such a very invested game with such a substandard company. Thrustmaster would seem like the better marriage to me!
Well, Thrustmaster has only the Warthog and the T Flight Hotas X and both aren't even that good for SC (Warthog need the additional Pedals, T-Flight afaik has just a few Buttons). IF they were to make a third model between, they'd surely rather focus on their Flight Sim customers.

Saitec by default tends to plant Buttons all over, which has it's benefits if you use it for something else than Flight Sims and Saitec (I guess) is far more willing to bring a custom model for SC in the 200-300€ price range.

BoreadGamer made a Video on Dual Joysticks:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrxXrfYQ8UM

imo such a setup has quite some advantages, since you get more out of your left hand than just the throttle.

Forgot your password?