Convince me to (not) buy a BMM

Kilo-Delta

Vice Admiral
Feb 17, 2016
RSI Handle
KiloDelta
So I've found a decent deal on an LTI Banu Merchantman, and I'm seriously considering buying it. I also really want a Vanguard, and it's on sale now. I am very conflicted at this point. I feel like the Vanguard is overpriced, with it being the same price as the massive BMM, and I could get a better deal on the BMM. I also think the BMM will be extremely valuable in game, and I could use it to earn money for a Vanguard (as well as all the other military fighters/ships that I eventually want). However, I do already have a Connie Andromeda, and don't want to make it redundant. I'm also a bit apprehensive of the Merchantman because of how little information we still have about it. On the other hand, I could also avoid spending a couple hundred more dollars on Star Citizen.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
So I've found a decent deal on an LTI Banu Merchantman, and I'm seriously considering buying it. I also really want a Vanguard, and it's on sale now. I am very conflicted at this point. I feel like the Vanguard is overpriced, with it being the same price as the massive BMM, and I could get a better deal on the BMM. I also think the BMM will be extremely valuable in game, and I could use it to earn money for a Vanguard (as well as all the other military fighters/ships that I eventually want). However, I do already have a Connie Andromeda, and don't want to make it redundant. I'm also a bit apprehensive of the Merchantman because of how little information we still have about it. On the other hand, I could also avoid spending a couple hundred more dollars on Star Citizen.

What do you guys think? Thanks.
I'm instantly asking myself what is your focus of gameplay within SC? A Vanguard - whatever version - is a combat vessel whereas the BMM a (neutral) trading vessel.

So what shall it be? You are into trading missions, for grinding money but NOT shooting. You can't imagine nothing better than traveling hundreds of (boring) hours between stations and planets, best case having one or two friends traveling with you, for the BMM is a big fucking multi-crew ship*? There you go, buy it!
You are more the action-kind-of-guy, definitely having an action-RL-buddy playing with you, going on military- or merc-based missions, always searching for the thrill? Keep the Vanguard, stay away from the BMM!

*....just for the numbers: 811 tons, 8 persons max crew, 100 meters long. The farer, for comparison, weighs 350 tons, 7 persons max crew, 100 meters long.

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
DO buy it because:
  • It has the best price-to-performance ratio of any cargohauler or multi-crew at its current price
  • It has unique proposed aspects such as smuggling support and freer travel
  • It is a unique ship that likely will not be easily acquired in game, unlike the Connie where there are literal dealerships full
  • CIG would be stupid to leave its price this low once it is further along in the development cycle
DON'T buy it because:
  • It has sat at the "six images, no blueprints, no in-game assets" stage for longer than literally any other ship
  • Its stats are all open to change at any given time, and display gross inconsistencies even in their current incarnation
  • It is another $200-ish USD even on the grey market, and likely will not be flyable for another year at best
  • Being a "rare" ship may make it a target for griefers and enterprising pirates come gamelaunch

Last edited:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Get the BMM. Its price will most likely dramatically increase once it is built. Then you can decide whether CCU at a higher value or burn it for some in store credit where you could get moar ships!
Afaik - correct me if I'm wrong - you are receiving only the original buying price, even if the selling price has increased. And if he buys it on the grey markets he can't sell it, only melt. So no advantage of rising prices imho.

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
Afaik - correct me if I'm wrong - you are receiving only the original buying price, even if the selling price has increased. And if he buys it on the grey markets he can't sell it, only melt. So no advantage of rising prices imho.
he can CCU.... like i bought a starfarer gemini from a guy who bought it for the original price.

but if i chose to CCU from it, i get the current value to CCU from, which is 340, and i believe the original was 240 or 250 dollars... :D

so should the BMM rise in price, he get's free CCU value.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
he can CCU.... like i bought a starfarer gemini from a guy who bought it for the original price.

but if i chose to CCU from it, i get the current value to CCU from, which is 340, and i believe the original was 240 or 250 dollars... :D

Okay, speaking from that perspective, I agree.

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon

This. Plus afaik if you CCU to another ship and then melt it you would get full value. So if the BMM lets say increases to $340 and you CCU to a Carrack or similarly priced ship. This lets say incurs a $10 CCU cost. If you apply the CCU and then melt you would get $350 dollars in store credit. Thus technically cheating the system and gaining 90 bucks 250+10=260 but then melt at $350 value.

Im pretty sure this works because i did this with my Star-G which was originally priced at 240 but CCUd to a Carrack. This cost me 10 bucks because the value of the Star G went up. Then i melted and got 350 bucks in store credit which i applied to get me that latest exploration mega pack.

Yea its kinda cheating the system but CIG already has $5K+ out of me so i figured why not.

DrunkenTeddy

Order of 10 High Priest
Donor
Apr 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DrunkenTeddy
This. Plus afaik if you CCU to another ship and then melt it you would get full value. So if the BMM lets say increases to $340 and you CCU to a Carrack or similarly priced ship. This lets say incurs a $10 CCU cost. If you apply the CCU and then melt you would get $350 dollars in store credit. Thus technically cheating the system and gaining 90 bucks 250+10=260 but then melt at $350 value.
This is not true. You can only melt for however much you've put into it. If you bought an original starfarer for $195 and after the price increase you decided to upgrade it to a Carrack, you would have spent $50 on the carrack upgrade and $195 on the original ship. Your melt value would be $245.

Forgot your password?