Cool NASA stuff. . .to the Moon

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
To use picture as a link: First take a screen grab or find a pic that make it relevant then add that in the post, then klick image and you get the choice to add link on bottom of image to source.
Hence clicking the image link to the source page/file. (Take it the source is online)

CHEERS ;)

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Can't seem to find a way to post it as a pic. . .so file attached.

Is pretty cool!

Are these the plans to create a station taht would allow humans to land on the Moon more easily/whenever they want through the gate station?
Cos it looks like a looooot of work/money for something that we could do many many years ago with a single rocket....

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Are these the plans to create a station taht would allow humans to land on the Moon more easily/whenever they want through the gate station?
Cos it looks like a looooot of work/money for something that we could do many many years ago with a single rocket....
Great question.

NASA has been an agency bereft of real leadership since Von Braun and Apollo. Agency heads are appointed by the President, and the plans at NASA change with each President, so it is hard to say how NASA can accomplish anything in human spaceflight, which typically takes longer than a President is in office.

NASA's goal for human spaceflight seems to be, try to do something, ANYTHING; and keep creating jobs. That's why we have the super-rocket SLS--it's all a jobs program.

The Gateway is intended to make trips to the lunar surface, to the Earth-Moon Lagrange L1 and L2 sites, and to Mars all cheaper. It remains to be seen if flying a gas depot will make anything cheaper, but certainly if NASA combines with ESA on a moonbase program, it will be greatly facilitiated by the Gateway. Flying a gas station around the Moon basically makes it cheaper to land lots of flights. It certainly would not pay just to repeat Apollo. So looks like a real base maybe. . .someday. . .?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Great question.

NASA has been an agency bereft of real leadership since Von Braun and Apollo. Agency heads are appointed by the President, and the plans at NASA change with each President, so it is hard to say how NASA can accomplish anything in human spaceflight, which typically takes longer than a President is in office.

NASA's goal for human spaceflight seems to be, try to do something, ANYTHING; and keep creating jobs. That's why we have the super-rocket SLS--it's all a jobs program.

The Gateway is intended to make trips to the lunar surface, to the Earth-Moon Lagrange L1 and L2 sites, and to Mars all cheaper. It remains to be seen if flying a gas depot will make anything cheaper, but certainly if NASA combines with ESA on a moonbase program, it will be greatly facilitiated by the Gateway. Flying a gas station around the Moon basically makes it cheaper to land lots of flights. It certainly would not pay just to repeat Apollo. So looks like a real base maybe. . .someday. . .?
Very interesting! I hope they do something with this soon, would love to live to see the day they put up a moonbase lol

Reactions: Mich Angel

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
And it will make sense to spark some innovation and investment this way. We need to get out of low Earth orbit. There's nothing there but communication satellite's, a few space stations, and a pile of junk. One small step at a time, but generally forward steps would be a welcome change.

One of my hobbies was inspired by NASA. I design and build self contained environments for food production. It's just a hobby for me, but I see incredible potential for this technology both in space, and here on Earth as the human population grows.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you design a self-contained environment for food production that will work on the Moon, there is big money in that. You should look to desgn in unique features that make it possible to patent. Certainly there will be call for it and a way to get a ride to the Moon by 2030. The Gateway station is currently scheduled for 2024, and the landing supposedly begins by 2028. I would not expect them to keep that schedule, but there are a host of disruptive technologies that NASA planners did not count on, and the actual service to the Moon could happen earlier rather than later.

The big trouble I see for greenhouse food production on the Mon is the 2 week long nights. You not only have to insulate, but you have to provide heat and light. If you can find a reversible chemical cycle to do that for you, would be HUGE.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The big trouble I see for greenhouse food production on the Mon is the 2 week long nights. You not only have to insulate, but you have to provide heat and light. If you can find a reversible chemical cycle to do that for you, would be HUGE.
Technical challenges are definitely not in short supply at the present time, but that is mostly a problem of engineering. For a lunar colony, I don't think that is the only problem set to overcome - but one step at a time.

Forgot your password?