coolers and powerplants in voyager direct

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
Well, they don't fit in your cockpit, that's for sure. Also not in your...hmmm...I think that may be too much information. Some fitting tests are best kept private.

Anyway, I've bought the largest ones from electronic access and mounted them with no problems on a Hornet. I'm guessing that at least for now, they fit any hard point designated for that kind of equipment. Speaking of equipment...that girl last night...

Sorry. Years of training for TEST have left their mark on me. I lose focus fast. Ummm...what was I talkin' about?

Oh, yes, coolers and power plants. I'm guessing when size will start to matter (and it always DOES, no matter what they say), CIG's goin' to put a notice in the info, as they did with the shields (which for now don't fit anywhere; believe me: I tried).

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Well, they don't fit in your cockpit, that's for sure. Also not in your...hmmm...I think that may be too much information. Some fitting tests are best kept private.

Anyway, I've bought the largest ones from electronic access and mounted them with no problems on a Hornet. I'm guessing that at least for now, they fit any hard point designated for that kind of equipment. Speaking of equipment...that girl last night...

Sorry. Years of training for TEST have left their mark on me. I lose focus fast. Ummm...what was I talkin' about?

Oh, yes, coolers and power plants. I'm guessing when size will start to matter (and it always DOES, no matter what they say), CIG's goin' to put a notice in the info, as they did with the shields (which for now don't fit anywhere; believe me: I tried).
So you got them to fit, but what do they do?

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp
Where do they fit?
When you look at the ports on your ship in the hangar you can see where to attach them. The port also lists the acceptable sizes.
I.e. you can figure the size of the port in the hangar. The size of the component is listed in the VD store listing. The actual performance of the component is up in the air.
There were some spreadsheets with the size and efficiency of the components, but they are based on the old xml, all of which is completely moot.
Like most things, read the description to get a rough idea of where CIG wants the part to fall and base your decisions on where they are aiming rather than where it is now in development.

Do they work yet?
Item 2.0 *framework* is in, but the ships and components aren't all converted over. Removing coolers or powerplants breaks your ship. However, currently all components provide the same cooling/power. So upgrading has no effect until they come online.

Personally, although I did buy a couple components when I was young(er) and foolish, I wouldn't buy any more. I'll upgrade in game when they are stable.

The biggest bang for the real buck is large ships. Their ingame price will go up exponentially.
All other purchases can be considered a nice perk to pledges to back the game. I.e. Don't buy components thinking it's a bargain.

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp

Actually, if you have an Argo, the shield port is open. You can in fact fit a s4 shield on there. I put my SF shield on my Argo and it is beautiful.
Unfortunately, since the SF shield port is hidden, I can't replace it, so my SF has no shields at all until next patch... D'oh!

There are a couple small ships that didn't get their shield ports hidden. That's a bug and should be exploited with caution, as I've demonstrated :-P

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
104 = S1
204 = S2
304 = S3
404 = S4

I've been working on a spreadsheet covering all the components both for ships and personnel as well as the ships themselves. Once it is more intact and more data is released, I will consider sharing my data collection. (my spreadsheet needs some major optimization and beautifying)

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
So you got them to fit, but what do they do?
Well, I felt a little tickle when I pushed them in, but I'm guessing it was only wishful thinkin', 'cause after that...nothing. After a couple of beers though, I started to feel I was cheated...'cause I saw the time and realized my wife was supposed to be home already. 'S been a week now.

No, they don't seem to do anything at this point. On a side note...as I'm writing this I just realized they've expired. I'm wondering...have I been flyin' my Hornet with no coolers and power plants? Gotta' check that.

There are a couple small ships that didn't get their shield ports hidden.
Heard that was so. Didn't get a chance to wet my whistle into one such ship though.

Reactions: Rolo and Beerjerker

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Shit, I read this wrong, I posted shields, not coolers and powerplants...
Not really wrong. That's another thing I was wondering about: do these ships come with all the shield generators they can carry? If not, it might make sense to upgrade power plants and shield generators later in the game(cuz I don't think any of these things make a difference in the Alpha)

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
So these coolers offer no storage for beer or other cold refreshing beverages?

Why would I want a cooler that doesn't cool my drinks....

Nah man.... Keep your alcoholic free coolers to yourself.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Im pretty sure you you are only able to equip the size and amount of ship components as listed on each ship page.

Rolo

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 22, 2016
RSI Handle
RoloKipp
Not really wrong. That's another thing I was wondering about: do these ships come with all the shield generators they can carry? If not, it might make sense to upgrade power plants and shield generators later in the game(cuz I don't think any of these things make a difference in the Alpha)
Some of the ships now (Item 2.0) have multiple s1 shields instead of a s3 shield as the sizing is different. This is one of the changes we'll see. Also, it's been mentioned a couple times that default components are not the *best* components.

They want us to have upgrade paths for our ships.

Reactions: Carlos Spicyweiner

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Also, it's been mentioned a couple times that default components are not the *best* components.

They want us to have upgrade paths for our ships.
The default components aren't even good components.

Also, they've said that buying new equipment and "overclocking" it is SCs version of leveling up. So the best equipment will be a ways off. And with the ways components work together and the role you perform, I don't think there will be a single best item.

Forgot your password?