Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Went to Lowes. Picked up a 3M respirator with a pack of sealed p100 cartridges and a 2 pair box of P100 pucks. Total was 65 bucks. Ive been cleaning mold and using a lot of chemicals, which is why i probably got bronchitis so i was looking for something like this anyways, but the biggest thing now is the piece of mind, if for some reason i do need to leave the house with a mask.

View attachment 15076
Looking good. But next time make sure your hood is up for the full effect. But yes that 3M respirator is surprisingly comfortable I use it whenever I have to go under the house or into the attic because that insulation dust is nasty.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Typically virus's in this class have a short survival window outside of the host on hard surfaces of 15 mins. At this point in time, the recommendation is the typical flu season precautions of washing your hands, not touching your eyes and nose and I would add fist bumps or elbow knocks as being preferred.

Other than that, beyond completely isolating yourself from everyone else there is a degree of risk but that risk measured against everyday risk like going to work is surprisingly low.

I wanted to see if there was any updated info, but yeah it seems the only evidence right now suggests it can survive up to 9 days at room temperature. The bigger issue is fecal oral transmission. People not washing their hands after wiping their ass and it sticking to fecal particles on door knobs and the like. Just keep that in mind if you need to use the bathroom at say walmart or something. High traffic places, you know what they are near you. (STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE ITS A HORRIBLE HABIT!)

Good study on surface transmission, read a couple paragraphs in.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Results
Jump to SectionIntroductionMethodResults Persistence of coronavirus on inanimate surfaces Inactivation of coronaviruses by biocidal agents in suspension tests Inactivation of coronaviruses by biocidal agents in carrier testsDiscussionConclusionsConflict of interest statementFunding SourcesReferences
Persistence of coronavirus on inanimate surfaces
Most data were described with the endemic human coronavirus strain (HCoV-) 229E. On different types of materials it can remain infectious for from 2 hours up to 9 days. A higher temperature such as 30°C or 40°C reduced the duration of persistence of highly pathogenic MERS-CoV, TGEV and MHV. However, at 4°C persistence of TGEV and MHV can be increased to ≥ 28 days. Few comparative data obtained with SARS-CoV indicate that persistence was longer with higher inocula (Table I). In addition it was shown at room temperature that HCoV-229E persists better at 50% compared to 30% relative humidity [8].

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
COVID-19 can't be contained at this point, it is highly transmittable, and symptoms may not show up at all. The mortality rate is high, but mostly in those who have weakened immune systems due to age or overall health. Corona virus strains have been around for a long time, COVID 19 is most likely a mutation of a strain that causes the common cold. The reason why health organizations like the CDC and WHO have been muted on this topic is because there is nothing they can do to stop it at this point and they don't want people to run out like it's the end of the world. Most likely, the best solution is going to end up actually getting the virus through vaccine and giving the body time to build a natural immunity. Kind of like how they do the flu vaccine every year. The benefit of COVID 19 is that it's only thought to be one strain and can be treated with a universal vaccine. With a mortality rate of 2.2% currently, I'd expect this number to rise a small amount as more people get sick in third world countries but decrease sharply once a detection system can be put in place worldwide.

EDIT: Overall a terrible situation to be in as humans on this planet but hopefully a wake-up call for global priorities.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I wanted to see if there was any updated info, but yeah it seems the only evidence right now suggests it can survive up to 9 days at room temperature. The bigger issue is fecal oral transmission. People not washing their hands after wiping their ass and it sticking to fecal particles on door knobs and the like. Just keep that in mind if you need to use the bathroom at say walmart or something. High traffic places, you know what they are near you. (STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE ITS A HORRIBLE HABIT!)

Good study on surface transmission, read a couple paragraphs in.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext
Thanks for the info, both! @Bambooza

So according this I shall retrieve the package from the post office with gloved hands and full face mask, both of which I will dispose of outside my home. Then splash a bottle of chemicals over the package along some high alcohol cheap booze and light it up. Then proceed to wash my hands without touching anything on the way to the sink. After the embers died down, I can safely retrieve the package.
Got it!

Ps.: or I could just wipe down what's inside the box with sanitizer and chuck it in the oven for 12 hours at 60C... it's mostly metal and no electronics, so it should hold up lol

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Just placed an order for a reusable 3m respirator (7500) with filters, and several boxes of the disposable ones. Most websites say they're sold out with several month backlog. This one (SafetyNW) did not, so lets see if I actually get anything that I paid for >_> Edit: Apparently online reviews for them are bad, but I paid through paypal so I'm protected if they screw me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
@Jolly_Green_Giant That costco tweet.. that guy can go fuck himself, that is a normal costco any given Saturday in any big city.
Yeah I don't go to Costco so I wouldn't know. He should know better though.

Edit: My aunt just got back from sams club in lakeland. She said she couldnt believe how busy it was today (shes not informed about the virus, just knows about it). She said she asked the cashier if its ever been this busy and was told no, she hasnt seen it like that since shes been working there. My aunt goes there all the time so its just an interesting observation. I wonder if it does have anything to do with the virus.

Just placed an order for a reusable 3m respirator (7500) with filters, and several boxes of the disposable ones. Most websites say they're sold out with several month backlog. This one (SafetyNW) did not, so lets see if I actually get anything that I paid for >_> Edit: Apparently online reviews for them are bad, but I paid through paypal so I'm protected if they screw me.
I just went down the street to Lowes. Idk where you live but im sure a local hardware store might have them if you need em. Dont think you will need em, but ive been meaning to get one before this all sarted so its a win win. The piece of mind is nice tho.

Last edited:

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
I just went down the street to Lowes. Idk where you live but im sure a local hardware store might have them if you need em. Dont think you will need em, but ive been meaning to get one before this all sarted so its a win win. The piece of mind is nice tho.
Yeah I'm going to check out lowes and home depot tomorrow. I found a larger reputable national company that has a warehouse not far away. Looks like I can place the same order through them, but they are definitely more expensive (almost twice as much).

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Wife came back from the store, some shelves of canned food were empty. Manager says people have been clearing out shelves already.

Only 20 cases reported in all of Canada, up from 12 a few days ago.

Reactions: Bambooza

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I just caught this thread, and I was curious if everyone thinks we will actually be looking at schools shutting down and home quarantine? We are stocking up just in case, but I'm hoping it doesn't go nuts. We also have a Disneyworld trip planned for June that we are debating about cancelling.

Reactions: GarikDuvall
Forgot your password?