Corsair Q&A

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
This ship is really growing on me. I can't believe no one asked about its speed and maneuverability as compared to the Connie and Mercury. Makes me think they were dev written questions. The players aren't really so stupid they wouldn't ask, are they?

If this thing rotates like a Connie (25, 25, 25*/s) you won't be able to hit anything with fixed guns, nor attack other targets effectively unless they're really pokey. If it rotates like a Lancer (65, 60, 90*/s) this is the best killing machine designed yet. 4 S5 plus 2 S4 guns is just a slaughter for the pilot.

If the ship strafes like the Connie (19, 35, 23m/s/s) the ship is just a flying target. If it strafes like a Lancer (40, 50, 38m/s/s) you could dodge a bit despite its size. So it really matters how this thing flies and it kills me whomever asked the questions didn't bother to ask about this. This could be another bird that would benefit hugely from Tevarin shields, which if you'll recall put better shielding in one direction (the nose) and less everywhere else. If you're attacking with big guns and keep your nose on target, that's where you want most of your shields. This thing could be beasty when set up right.

The best reason to choose the Cutty over the Lancer is the way it flies, with really high rotation rates, strafe and top speed. It is quite possible the Corsair handles like a Lancer, despite it's larger size.

I am not a fan of Drake, but if this has Lancer like maneuverability, I would certainly want to fly it. Screw the Cutty. Just fly this.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
This ship is really growing on me. I can't believe no one asked about its speed and maneuverability as compared to the Connie and Mercury. Makes me think they were dev written questions. The players aren't really so stupid they wouldn't ask, are they?

If this thing rotates like a Connie (25, 25, 25*/s) you won't be able to hit anything with fixed guns, nor attack other targets effectively unless they're really pokey. If it rotates like a Lancer (65, 60, 90*/s) this is the best killing machine designed yet. 4 S5 plus 2 S4 guns is just a slaughter for the pilot.

If the ship strafes like the Connie (19, 35, 23m/s/s) the ship is just a flying target. If it strafes like a Lancer (40, 50, 38m/s/s) you could dodge a bit despite its size. So it really matters how this thing flies and it kills me whomever asked the questions didn't bother to ask about this. This could be another bird that would benefit hugely from Tevarin shields, which if you'll recall put better shielding in one direction (the nose) and less everywhere else. If you're attacking with big guns and keep your nose on target, that's where you want most of your shields. This thing could be beasty when set up right.

The best reason to choose the Cutty over the Lancer is the way it flies, with really high rotation rates, strafe and top speed. It is quite possible the Corsair handles like a Lancer, despite it's larger size.

I am not a fan of Drake, but if this has Lancer like maneuverability, I would certainly want to fly it. Screw the Cutty. Just fly this.
Does maneuverability REALLY matter for an exploration ship though?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Well, it is a Drake exploration ship... For finding things?! And investigating them with a range of weapons...
I could not have said it better myself.

What do we care it has so many guns if when you try to use them you get your ass shot off? That's why I lost interest in the 600i. It's just a flying target, and way too easy too hit. If I am doing exploration, I want a ship that can defend itself; and the Corsair's main defense is a strong offense. It should scare you to attack the thing, much more than attacking a Connie or Mercury.

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
I could not have said it better myself.

What do we care it has so many guns if when you try to use them you get your ass shot off? That's why I lost interest in the 600i. It's just a flying target, and way too easy too hit. If I am doing exploration, I want a ship that can defend itself; and the Corsair's main defense is a strong offense. It should scare you to attack the thing, much more than attacking a Connie or Mercury.
Totally agree!

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Well, it is a Drake exploration ship... For finding things?! And investigating them with a range of weapons... I just hope I can pilot it with a beer in hand 🍻
Lol the way I first scanned this I was picturing the ship doing its investigating with the actual weapons..."what's down this cave? Let's blow it up and see what comes out!"

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Its not an exploration ship, its a mission board ship.

Its part of a selection of ships that need rebadging as general purpose as oppose to trying to compartmentalise into professions and uses they have no real affinity for.

The 300 series, freelancers, cutlass, andromeda, corsair, titan etc are all general purpose ships, not haulers, explorers, touring, combat what ever, they are general purpose mission running ships- take this box here, take this small load here, scan this item, retrieve this item etc, with enough firepower and cargo for opportunistic hauling and combat while they do it.

Some of them are “slightly” more combat focused, some of them are “slightly” more exploration focused, some of them are “slightly” more combat focused, it doesnt make them explorers, haulers or fighters.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
All explorers have big fuel tanks and upscale scan. The Corsair is one of those. The Cutty is not and only one of the Lancers is. The Avenger does not have an explorer class variant. The 300 and Reliant do, and they are called that becasue they have upscale scan and fuel tanks. The only ship I am aware of that has upscale scan and fuel tanks that is not classed as an exploration vessel is the Sentinel, and that is becasue it has some rare additional capabilities, but it would make a fair explorer since it has M scan, which is huge for that size ship, and oversized fuel capacity.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
All explorers have big fuel tanks and upscale scan. The Corsair is one of those. The Cutty is not and only one of the Lancers is. The Avenger does not have an explorer class variant. The 300 and Reliant do, and they are called that becasue they have upscale scan and fuel tanks. The only ship I am aware of that has upscale scan and fuel tanks that is not classed as an exploration vessel is the Sentinel, and that is becasue it has some rare additional capabilities, but it would make a fair explorer since it has M scan, which is huge for that size ship, and oversized fuel capacity.
Thats..... exactly what ive said.

A freelancer Mis is a 32 scu 4 person multi purpose ship that leans towards combat, the freelancer dur is a 32 scu 4 person multi purpose ship that leans to toward exploration.

A freelancer Mis can haul cargo, fight, has long range, can scoop hydrogen fuel and can “explore” to a moderate degree.

A freelancer DUR can haul cargo, fight slightly worse than a MIS, has really long range, can scoop hydrogen fuel and can “explore” to a slightly better than a MIS as it has different sensors.

You could choose one or the other as your only ship and not miss out on any significant gameplay.

And the same goes for all the other ships ive mentioned, at their core they are general purpose multipurpose ships with different models that lean “slightly” in one direction or the other.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think you'd be much better off not characterizing any ship as "multi-purpose". CIG has said officially many times there are no multi-purpose ships. The game is designed specifically to avoid multi-purpose ships. If it had multi-purpose ships everyone would buy just one ship.

What you're confusing is the notion of a cargo hauler than can do other things. That's not multi-purpose. The Connie, Lancer, Cutty, all have variants that are more or less useful for one thing or another, but none of them are marketed as "multi-purpose".

There are important economic reasons ships like the Hoplite, Tally and Valkyrie do not have cargo plates. That is done specifically so they won't be multi-purposed. You can still put cargo in them, but it is not recommended.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I think you'd be much better off not characterizing any ship as "multi-purpose". CIG has said officially many times there are no multi-purpose ships. The game is designed specifically to avoid multi-purpose ships. If it had multi-purpose ships everyone would buy just one ship.

What you're confusing is the notion of a cargo hauler than can do other things. That's not multi-purpose. The Connie, Lancer, Cutty, all have variants that are more or less useful for one thing or another, but none of them are marketed as "multi-purpose".

There are important economic reasons ships like the Hoplite, Tally and Valkyrie do not have cargo plates. That is done specifically so they won't be multi-purposed. You can still put cargo in them, but it is not recommended.
I beg to differ. Go ahead and read that first paragraph there.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I beg to differ. Go ahead and read that first paragraph there.
Touche, and you could make the same argument for the Carrack, but note you are still swapping out modules to create different variants. Sans this, it would not be multi-role. You can call the Battlefield Upgrade Kit something similar, but in that case you are actually swapping the ship instead of a module. Unless you're doing that in a friegter, even a BUK does not yield a general purpose ship.

And the Cat gets its ass shot of pretty easily. You'd never want to take one to a real fight, so how is that general purpose?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Touche, and you could make the same argument for the Carrack, but note you are still swapping out modules to create different variants. Sans this, it would not be multi-role. You can call the Battlefield Upgrade Kit something similar, but in that case you are actually swapping the ship instead of a module. Unless you're doing that in a friegter, even a BUK does not yield a general purpose ship.

And the Cat gets its ass shot of pretty easily. You'd never want to take one to a real fight, so how is that general purpose?
Why are you talking about taking a caterpillar into a firefight? That just makes no sense. Multi-role/purpose is NOT synonymous with modular. I think you are trying mix the two. Carrack is NOT multipurpose, its an exploration ship. BUKs for the vanguards do NOT make them multipurpose. It just makes their loadouts modular.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder

Well that's just blatantly not true. There are several ships that can fulfill 2 or more roles. Constellation Andromeda for example, cargo/vehicle carrier and gunship/missile boat. Cutlass Black large fighter, cargo/vehicle carrier. Avenger Titan Fighter and cargo carrier. Endeavor: can be configured to fill several roles. Mercury Star Runner, Cargo: Data, Data Interception, smuggling. Caterpillar: Eventually going to have several modules to do a variety of things. And there are more.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Why are you talking about taking a caterpillar into a firefight? That just makes no sense. Multi-role/purpose is NOT synonymous with modular. I think you are trying mix the two. Carrack is NOT multipurpose, its an exploration ship. BUKs for the Vanguards do NOT make them multipurpose. It just makes their loadouts modular.
Hey look, it's not my statement. You can do a search. Chris and the devs have said this many times. The discussion is not meant to be concerning "multi-role". The original question (forgive if I confused it) is "general purpose". There are no general purpose ships in SC. You can find a ship that can accomplish two or more roles (they're all multi-role in this sense), but it is intended to not be general purpose and this is for instance, the reason given why the Hoplite, Tally and Valkyrie cannot have cargo plates. If you could turn a combat ship into something good at running cargo, way too many players would do that and we'd all be flying a small number of favorite ships instead of the vast variety that CIG wants and needs us to fly to create an interesting universe, and to earn a buck.

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Lol the way I first scanned this I was picturing the ship doing its investigating with the actual weapons..."what's down this cave? Let's blow it up and see what comes out!"
I personally like this way of scanning! I think it should be the mandatory way if searching a cave/asteroid from now on!

Reactions: Blind Owl

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Hey look, it's not my statement. You can do a search. Chris and the devs have said this many times. The discussion is not meant to be concerning "multi-role". The original question (forgive if I confused it) is "general purpose". There are no general purpose ships in SC. You can find a ship that can accomplish two or more roles (they're all multi-role in this sense), but it is intended to not be general purpose and this is for instance, the reason given why the Hoplite, Tally and Valkyrie cannot have cargo plates. If you could turn a combat ship into something good at running cargo, way too many players would do that and we'd all be flying a small number of favorite ships instead of the vast variety that CIG wants and needs us to fly to create an interesting universe, and to earn a buck.
I do not agree with your statement at all. There are PLENTY of general purpose ships out there. Look at the Freelancer, the Cutlass Black, hell even the Aurora! While CIG does not want all ships to do every role, those ships that do have multiple roles are not going to be as good at those roles as a specialized ship. As an example, Hull series ships will vastly out-profit all the other cargo running ships because they are specialized for that role, as opposed from a freelancer, which can run cargo, but is not dedicated solely to that role. CIG does want and supports multi-role playstyles as well as specialized role playstyles.

Forgot your password?