Could REALLY use some advice ASAP!!!

Rav

Admiral
May 5, 2016
RSI Handle
R-A-V
Hey guys and gals,

Got a issue... ships.....

Before joining Test I had a small group form the guild I commanded for years in Star Wars Galaxies. They wanted me to start a new guild (org) here and I did. Unfortunately everyone seemed to scatter to the wind again and lost 100% interest in SC. Some of "my guys" spent a LOT of cash buying big ships so the lack of interest and communication shocked me.

Anyways, at the time I wasn't sure what ships I should get, they'd bought so many I didn't see the point in getting duplicates. All the ones I was planning to buy or saving up for someone else got, sometimes even more than one.

Well that left me with deciding to go Drake... Cheap to use, cheap to fix, CHEAP. Plus the jack of all trades I saw as a good way to go so we could start out in mine and work up funds etc to run the Endeavors, Crucibles, etc. Also I've always played the support role, Medic and Doctor. I'm not very good at PVP, never was. But staying back and keeping the fighters going and healthy was 100% me. The Drake Caterpillar is supposed to have a med module, Cutlass Red, S&R. PERFECT.

Problem is now that every left I joined Test a while back. Kinda a no body other than MAYBE a few Test streamers knowing my name only. I currently own all Drake. Cutlass, Caterpillar, Buccaneer, 6 Dragonflies and have enough in store credit for a Herald when it comes back around. All of them LTI except one Dragonfly (CCU game package) I love the jack of all trades part as I have no clue what I really want to do nor what is even available. Most likely S&R as usual but being able to change things up and dabble also sounds appealing. BUT... I HATE DRAKE LOOKS, NO EJECTION ETC.

My favorite line is Aegis, but there was no big ship that would work for my play style, hated the Redeemer. Love the Saber and Warden.

Anvil.. Eh its ok, to me... But I really loved the Carrack on Paper, and the new Terrpin seems like it would fit my fly-style. (Slow reflexes, I'm older. lol) The bigger / tankier ships seem to work best for me than the fast fighters.

Plus to I prefer a tank role than a damage role.

I've been sitting here all week debating on melting my fleet and buying the Carrak/Terrapin/Dragonfly pack. All LTI, game package etc and with the left over credits upgrade one of my LTI dragon flies to something like a super hornet for those AC times etc. Not sure if the Terrapin is worth the price tho. And as I mentioned, I'm a nobody, and the Carrack would require a crew even more than the Cat I already own. Hearing now that even with NPCs I'd have issues being "solo" in those.

I'm lost, dont know what to do at this point.. Could use help badly....

PS sorry for the book I just wrote here but thought the more info the better to get opinions and advice.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I personally love Drake. But if it's not your thing, then melt only as many ships as you need to get the UEE explorers pack. You will never have trouble finding people to crew them here. That is a promise. I have spent a decent amount of time working about the same thing. Thing is, in this org, there will always be someone who wants to jump on board and play with you.

The terrapin is touted as being an explorer AND a S&R ship. You can probably still keep a drake ship or two if you'd like. Maybe a Cutty so you have a multipurpose ship. Although, if you don't love the ship, don't keep it. But ships you want to fly, ships you love. You can make them yours.

Reactions: Beerjerker

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You're not the only one who spends hours and days agonizing over her or his fleet. I've posted many threads on this forum along the same lines as the this one.

You are not alone

Reactions: Beerjerker

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
And as I mentioned, I'm a nobody, and the Carrack would require a crew even more than the Cat I already own.
You are not a nobody!

You are an old fart with bad reflexes who commanded a Star Wars Galaxies crew! :D

Your name is Raz and now I know it too!

I see you dilemma, this exploration pack is pretty cool and the new shiny ships are always more tempting!

The Terrapin is that tanky support ship you may like, but its really tough to understand its true roll from just reading about it!

Owning the Cutlass Red for support, Cat for multirole and Buccaneer for combat covers all your bases.

The exploration pack is, well, just exploration.

If exploration is not your focus, then you are sticking yourself with dedicated ships that will not fill any other roles.

I say stick with your current fleet.

You can always borrow a Carrack or Terrapin from the org hangar when that comes along.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Gstar Nova

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Gstar Nova
I have way to many ships in fact most of the medium to smaller one's. With SC so far off from being truly playable I would just wait to do any additional buying. May want to consider as you mentioned ships you can start earning in game cash for when SC is truly playable in 2 or 3 years. This seems to me the most cost effective and reasonable direction.

Rav

Admiral
May 5, 2016
RSI Handle
R-A-V
Well with the Cutlass being the only one we've seen and the mess its in/ been in its hard. ATM I hate the Drake "look" mostly, an that is really just cosmetic (can live live with it) I'd planned to wait till Cat released to hanger so I can see what Drake WILL be... Wasn't expecting this explorer sale. Hate to miss the pack opportunity with LTI etc but if I pull the trigger it would be like a year to get all my old ships back via store credit tokens.

Disabled so fixed income, so buying them "all" as seems to be the other suggestions, isn't a option. Plus with my situation I'll be able to play pretty much any and all the time, would kinda like something to work for left to do. lol

OMg decisions, decisions lol

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If you really want to maintain that versatility, then @Montoya is right, stay with your current fleet. I'm running a Cat, Cutty, and Bucky. I love the utility of the Drake ships.

Rav

Admiral
May 5, 2016
RSI Handle
R-A-V
Oh should mention to, OCD thing... having all the same company verses random here and there. lol I know, WEIRD, cant help it.. lol

Wished I'd grabbed a Herald CCU back when it came out incase it has a BIG price jump.

Last worry is the Cat mods.. I "assume" they'd be cheaper than the ones that came out for the Tally.... I was thinking it would come with a mix of them and buy any extras, sucks for me at least that its coming with all cargo. May end up having to melt the Herald or not get it at all depending on what the other end up costing.

Oh and figured if I start Drake the cheapest company I'd have the "work up to and work for" aspect buying other ships like Aegis later in game

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I would wait, but an option would be to get the explorers pack and just ccu back to a few ships you like. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Rav

Admiral
May 5, 2016
RSI Handle
R-A-V
Ya, thought about that to but Carrack is $350, nothing I got is that much solo... Cat will most likely go up in price but doubt $350. Plus mines melt is $225, think its worth $245 now.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
dude... don't worry about crews lol. one of TEST's main functions is to connect you to an endless pool of willing crewmembers. Make some friends, drop into our discord, talk to people! I mean, sure, you could just pay TESTies to crew your ships. But I bet you'd have more fun if you made a few friends and they filled out your slots for you. All those ships should turn out great in the PU. Super hornet, sabre, and vanguard are meta for arena commander right now in terms of single seater ships.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I doubt you will have trouble finding crew now that you're with us.
As far as what to buy, if there's ships you luuuv, or a brand you luuuv, buy that. Sounds like you got loads of credit already in game and loads of LTI tokens too. I'd buy the ships you're crazy about when the anniversary sale comes in November.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Just a thought, if everybody owned all the ships who would be crewing with us?
There is a point where having too many ships becomes a burden. Unless you just like collecting them.

You crew on their ships, they crew for you.
Sounds more funner this way.

Forgot your password?