Cracking and popping noise when people talk in Mumble

SamDaMan

Space Marshal
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
SamDaMan
At the beginning and ending of peoples sentences in mumble, peoples voices crack and pop.

I seem to have pinpointed it down to voice activation playing a big part. It seems when someone presses the voice activate button and then talks immediately, it will produce a loud crack or popping noise.

Other people suffer from this issue, however I have found no solution to this problem. If anyone else has had this issue and knows a fix, please help us out.

Edit: It seems that it is not just Push to talk but also VA. It happens randomly at times but it is almost as if the microphone is peaking and causing the popping noises from people.

Last edited:

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
The official policy is Push-to-Talk on mumble. The only users with the bad voice is users with VA on instead of PTT?

If so we have them swap and try that. The only time you should be using VA is if your in a gaming sub channel you created.

Cable

Rear Admiral
Donor
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Cable
Hm. It sounds like a local issue to me. Run through the audio wizard and see if you have a boost somewhere.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'm not hearing these audio problems, so at the very least my system is receiving fine.

SamDaMan

Space Marshal
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
SamDaMan
So further testing might have revealed 2 things.

1. It could be the server having bad settings causing errors

or

2. It could be microphone amplification for each user. I found the after using the audio wizard it usually sets most users around 20x Amplification for their microphones which could cause them to overload their mic's / others speakers.

Forgot your password?