Cross post from Reddit: Shield Mechanics - Are you being destroyed by Sabres?

Doctor Antelope

Admiral
Nov 7, 2014
RSI Handle
DoctorAntelope
Thought some of you may find this helpful/interesting. Sorry if you have all already seen it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/510u6u/shield_mechanics_are_you_being_destroyed_by/?st=isqhf3a4&sh=de7f973e

To be clear: This is not mine, all credit should go to /u/hermeneze

Reddit post below (I've edited this like 10 times, I can't get it to look quite right, you're probably better off just viewing the original linked above.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone noticed how easy is to play Sabre? It's a space superiority fighter, it is supposed to be strong, but have you noticed how weak the F7C-M appears to be, compared to a Sabre in terms of endurance? I was ok with people playing it, since they were looking for fun, using default loadouts and making cool moves. But, some people already realized that some ships can't take the Sabre down in some circumstances, now, i am seeing people that are bad pilots running through BR at 100m/s ignoring T2 Fighters because they just can't take their shields down. Without a capable adversary, like a F7C-M; Vanguard, Sabre pilots can ignore ships like Gladius, Deltas and 325A's, whenever their shields goes down, they just need to avoid fire for 10 seconds, and their shields will be ready for another swarm of T2 fighters. Of course i am not counting Ballistic weapons and component/hull damage, but even with a full metal loadout, Sabre is a low signature and decent maneuverable ship, worth an epic dogfight in normal conditions.

So herm, whats wrong with it?

Have you ever experienced a situation when you receive a energy shoot from ahead, but it's your shield from the back that actually takes damage? That happens because the shield spreads automatically to adjust to where you're receiving fire. This status is called HP Shift Rate, and this defines the speed that the shield can be manually, or automatically, moved across sections. In the actual state of the game, we have 4 sections: Front, Rear, Left and Right. These sections, together, compose the total amount of shield that your ship has, and its equally spread. IE, a ship with a total shield HP of 4000, will have 1000HP in each section. Each section has 2 states: operational, and disabled. When your shield hits 0, its disabled, and will use another status called HP Regen Delay, which is a T-X to your shield to become operational again from 0. While each section is active, they have an intelligent and automatic regen status, which is called HP Regen, which will divide the power based on need. IE, if your HP Regen is 100, and you take fire from starboard, the shield will adjust where you need protection, and took 30% of shield from rear. When this happens, the HP Regen kicks in, with full power on rear shield, IE, 100HP/sec. If this happens from 2 directions, then it will spread the power between the two shields, and each one will have 50HP/sec of regeneration.

Ok, what it has to do with the Sabre?

First let's compared some Sabre's shield status with F7C-M Super Hornet's shield, and Aegis Vanguard's shield:

Chart.png

Basically, this is all the information that we introduced before, but in comparison between these 3 ships. I highlighted the HP Regen of the Sabre, because for me, it is too high, and should not be better than the F7C-M and the Vanguard, which are ships that are meant to soak damage. I want to hear from you guys, if this is correct, or if you guys agree with me.

TLDR: But the real problem here is the HP Shift Rate, 240hp/s means that the Sabre, while regenerating 87 Shield HP/s, can realocate shields at the speed of 240hp/s. This Status mean, that the Sabre is capable of realocate its entire shield in 20 seconds, in short words, this means that if you can't deal 4800 damage to Sabre shields in 20 seconds, and disable all 4 shields, the regen will not drop and it will still be up. Comparing to a S2 Energy Weapon, the CF-117 Badger repeater has only 172.55 DPS. The shift rate is so strong that it can nullify the weapon, this means that, if you only have a CF-117, you can only kill a Sabre if the enemy is stopped for a long lapse of time. The CF117 overheats in 45 seconds tho :(

And that's it, I'm not counting the ballistics that can penetrate the shields, but after this read,you now how shields works in the game, and also you know why its so hard to take down a Sabre with your T2 Fighter, you basically need to take all the 4 sides down, even if you're shooting at only one side.

Here is a Gladius( 3x CF-117 Badger Repeater) vs Sabre video, pay attention to the shields.Freelancer is very tanky, it can handle some 520m/s collisions pretty well. You know we have a problem, when we compare the status to Connie and Tali status, clearly, Sabre is using some mid ship status in a small ship, better than those btw..

Chart2.png

In a final note, Star Citizen shield system is incredible, we just don't know the effects of each status untill we see them in action, i hope the devs, and we as community, can learn with abusive shift rate, and how it alone can break the gameplay. I recognize the challenge to balance Star Citizen and Arena Commander with all these elements. One more time, fly safe guys! :D

Last edited:

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
There's a lot I liked about the Sabre when I had one. Seeing the guns blasting away from the cockpit... sooo kewl. But I've since melted and now only see them when they kill me. And they kill me every single time. Could it be I need to git gud? Maybe. But every other ship I end up fighting, I stand a chance.

I get that the idea that there are tiers of ships, but when they differ so drastically, I would expect eventually everyone will end up fighting in Sabres and little else. I would rather see other fighters up gunned and up engined if only to preserve variety. It is an MMO and if the the min max game goes unchecked, it will homogenize airspace and (for me anyway) get a bit dull.

Of course, still alpha, still balancing. Not overly [CONCERNED].

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I do like flying my Sabre, because the only other combat capable ship I have is an Avenger.

I don't do a lot of dogfights vs other Players, so I don't know, but I have done better in Vanduul Swarm with it than I have ever done on a Hornet (before I upgraded my F7C-S into the Sabre)

There's still probably a LOT more adjustments to be made to different ships and I don't exactly follow every stat of every ship, more going by looks than anything.

Reactions: Doctor Antelope

Th3Damien

Grand Admiral
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Damien212
In all seriousness, the Sabre (which is my favourite ship) does need tweaking. It definitely does need decent shielding though because when the shields are down it pretty much instapops but at the moment it's pretty much unkillable unless it gets rammed.

I'm not the most spectacular pilot but twice last night I took a connie to near death (minus 3 engines and in a spin) before two helpers (Hornet x2 the first time, Hornet & Cutlass the second) turned up to assist. The first engagement I died to a collision and the second I won comfortably.

If the hull HP is going to stay as low as it is now, I reckon reducing the shift rate by 50% is a good start.

Fade691

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fade691
It would seem the shift rate is a typo and probably should be 24 hp/s. I'm sure they will fix that soon. In the mean time, ballistics are your friend. ;)

Doctor Antelope

Admiral
Nov 7, 2014
RSI Handle
DoctorAntelope
I am not trying to complain about this, the authors title makes it sound that way though. I understand there is tons of tweaking/balancing to be done. More than anything I found this interesting because I didn't actually know how shields worked before I read this.

...I don't exactly follow every stat of every ship, more going by looks than anything.
I hear ya, its kind of silly to get lost in stats and theory crafting on stuff that will change month to month.
Going by looks, you can't go wrong with the Sabre!

It would seem the shift rate is a typo and probably should be 24 hp/s.
This would be my guess too.

Forgot your password?