Crusader: An Accidental Journey to the Upper Atmosphere

Should this bug (feature) be investigated further?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Hell Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

CaptainArchmage

Space Marshal
Mar 22, 2016
RSI Handle
CaptainArchmage
So besides apparently being member #9000, I haven't introduced myself on here.

Today, this freak quantum jump "accident" happened. I was supposed to get to Port Olisar, and was jumping from either Kareyah, or nowhere in particular. Instead, the quantum drive (which may have been damaged from a run-in with pirates, or trying to land on an asteroid) was slow at, well, slowing down. I got no warnings about approaching a planetary gravitational field (as on Yela). I have no idea why this happened, and I accidentally pulled the ethernet lead out of my computer shortly afterwards leaving me unable to continue. Managed one screenshot, though, attached. Are we supposed to be able to get here? No? Well, I got here anyway.

I was going to look for a landing spot, though, but I realised it probably hasn't been implemented yet. Still would have been fun to see if there's an, um, surface to this planet.

Notable features seem to be asteroids WITHIN the planetary atmosphere. Or, those are actually bases. They are above and below, and in-between the stars (which are, of course, above, since I righted the ship for this).

If I get here again, I will try to get to one of those asteroids. Or, go straight down.

Not shown: Everything is blocked from quantum jump here. Even those that are straight up.

Attachments

CaptainArchmage

Space Marshal
Mar 22, 2016
RSI Handle
CaptainArchmage
I did the descent again. I think you need to get from Kareah to Port Olisar (it allows you to select Olisar), and it warps you to the planet and stops you in the atmosphere. At least that's the repeatable method I had to get down here. I could warp out this time.

I'll edit this post if I get proper confirmation about the methodology. I attach the other screens I got, showing the jump out of crusader.

Attachments

Reactions: julu and Blind Owl

CaptainArchmage

Space Marshal
Mar 22, 2016
RSI Handle
CaptainArchmage
You don't crash into the planet is the answer. Even if you try. It seems to shake your ship apart if you go downwards, upwards have not found a boundary though. This is the zone where your starfarer snorts up unrefined gasses and turns them into quantum fuel. And, I also wanted to see whether we could repeat the journey.

Further information on how to get here:

For live, use an Aurora or Andromeda. Aurora in PTU 2.3.1A goes through the planet completely, on the Khartu-Al this move was achieved into the atmosphere by Captain Richard.

1. When at Kareah, select Port Olisar in quantum travel. Not, Crusader. Port Olisar is on the other side of the planet, but you can select it.

2. Activate Quantum Travel.

I did the trip in a 300i, and it warped me through the planet to Olisar.

I managed to get the Andromeda into there, then glitched out and respawned. The Aurora flight I took next took me to within 1km of the Andromeda, so the ships stop in the same region of space. Screenshots attached.

Attachments

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You don't crash into the planet is the answer. Even if you try. It seems to shake your ship apart if you go downwards, upwards have not found a boundary though.
Well this is horseshit. How is any self respecting TESTie supposed to crash into the planet? Sheesh, foiled again. ;)

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

CaptainArchmage

Space Marshal
Mar 22, 2016
RSI Handle
CaptainArchmage
Well, if TEST overruns a Live server with 16 players we can do an atmospheric brawl. Auroras and Andromedas in Crusader's upper atmosphere. Just jump to Kareah, then to Port Olisar. You come out about the same location. Some ships clip through the planet, but it's repeatable for the Aurora (NOTE NOT IN PTU). Captain Richard tested it out as well in the Khartu-Al in PTU, and that works.

Atmospheric EVA has no gravitational influence, so technically you can have 7 people vs. 7 people and keep ferrying them around through various rounds.

Also I wonder if we can jump to the surface of Yela by the same method.

ALERT: WORKS FOR JUMPING BETWEEN CRY ASTRO 151 AND COVALEX SHIPPING HUB. Maybe we can crash into something like you said. My anvil hornet is hovering just over the moon. Doesn't work with 300i or Aurora.

Screenshot attachment upcoming.

Forgot your password?