Crytek Case Settled!!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hurrah!

Soon we will find out what that means...

I know it is unlikely, but I'm hoping there's a clause stating Crytek must kick DS in the teeth or groin for everytime he pushed a false narrative to support them against CIG.
Alas impossible, there is not enough time left before the sun goes out to be able to complete that request.

DISCLAIMER: the above is said in light hearted jest. Anyone linking to or using this statement or any statement related to it outside of TEST forum agrees to pay the user known as NaffNaffBobFace $50 for each published usage including reposting or linking directly to said article (any form of media text) by persons who are not associated with the article creator. NaffNaff reserves the right to wave this charge for any person he so chooses without reason or explanation.

Remember friends, He Who Shall Not Be Given The Oxygen Of Publicity has history of misquoting and corrupting TESTies posts. ;)

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm glad it's over, but I really want to know the details, but we'll probably never see them.
I dunno, "open and transparent" is one of the pillars of the project. If there is a clause in the agreement that says it can't be disclosed CryTech just went to Daft Vader levels of bad guy.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm glad that it's done, I wish that I knew what the settlement was, but that's up to whoever has the say in that to disclose that if they choose to do so. Either way, as long as Crytek has no rights to pursue further legal actions against CIG in the future, I count this as a win in general.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
the reason Crytek settled is so they don't have to own up to their liability publicly
One of the things with Justice is it must be seen to be done to be of any benefit or example to others. So they made a mistake? We all do. Holding ones hands up and admitting to messing up is one of the most Just things a person can do.

If it is the case that this is true and out of court is purely to keep a defeat from the headlines, yes they may save face by keeping the admission private but they may not save anything else - Like their old reputation for being one of the good guys of the industry for saving that studio... Or their customers... Or their business...?

Unlike proceedings between two private companies where things are conducted in isolation betwix two sets of legal departments, the workers of said companies perhaps not even realizing there was a lawsuit let alone anyone else, they chose to tango with a company that has a policy of clear and transparent operations with vested parties... In other words, the backers. Will we find out? Odds are very much on we will not...

One thing is for sure - the book about the development of SC is going to have one heck of a story to tell.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Personally, if I was in the shoes of CR, I'd find out how much Crytek is worth (which can't be all that much at this point) & then "make them an offer they can't refuse." Meaning that I'll offer to purchase 100% of Crytek from the current owners that have been bleeding money, but whatever the cost of the companies value is that the 50 mil USD from what they would owe CIG will be coming out of their price. So they sell their company fully & make whatever profit is after the 50 mil. This way CIG gets access to all of the best Dev's that work for Crytek as well as their IP's including that software based Ray-Tracing tech to include into SC as well as license to other game developers afterwards.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Personally, if I was in the shoes of CR, I'd find out how much Crytek is worth (which can't be all that much at this point) & then "make them an offer they can't refuse." Meaning that I'll offer to purchase 100% of Crytek from the current owners that have been bleeding money, but whatever the cost of the companies value is that the 50 mil USD from what they would owe CIG will be coming out of their price. So they sell their company fully & make whatever profit is after the 50 mil. This way CIG gets access to all of the best Dev's that work for Crytek as well as their IP's including that software based Ray-Tracing tech to include into SC as well as license to other game developers afterwards.
The problem with buying a company is along with owning all of their assets you also own all of their debts and problems. Yes it would make CryTechs legal wranglings go away but it would also be taking on all the issues they are having in return and I can only imagine they are a whole hell of a lot more complicated than one GLA.

There was a car maker in the UK called Rover. It was sold to another company for £1 under the impression it would pay off their debts and invest in the company to bring it back into profitability but instead they asset-stripped it and Rover is just a footnote in the annals of history and a few very, very old plate cars finally failing their MOT's and going to the scrap yard.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I see that most of you are happy that it's over, regardless of what the settlement included.

I for one am not too happy about it ending this way. While in reality it might mean that Cig settled just so Crytek would leave them alone because the whole thing was a waste of time and money, the perception by the public can be totally different.
It means different things to everyone, but to me settlement means there is something to settle over. It is almost like an admission of guilt. It can be easily construed as Cig bad, crytek wins!
As pointed out, we might never know what was in the settlement. This also gives the opportunity to the media to spin this the way they want to. They could just report the facts, but that alone doesn't generate as many clicks as claiming that "CiG had to settle cos they were dirty. Why else would they settle"..
I hope they will make the at least parts of the settlement public to clear this up, but I don't really think it will happen.

Ps.: @NaffNaffBobFace F to Rover, they had some fun cars. Some of their cars were BMW based (75 had a lot of E46 in it I think) so you can still get some parts but it must b hard to keep em alive.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I see that most of you are happy that it's over, regardless of what the settlement included.

I for one am not too happy about it ending this way. While in reality it might mean that Cig settled just so Crytek would leave them alone because the whole thing was a waste of time and money, the perception by the public can be totally different.
It means different things to everyone, but to me settlement means there is something to settle over. It is almost like an admission of guilt. It can be easily construed as Cig bad, crytek wins!
As pointed out, we might never know what was in the settlement. This also gives the opportunity to the media to spin this the way they want to. They could just report the facts, but that alone doesn't generate as many clicks as claiming that "CiG had to settle cos they were dirty. Why else would they settle"..
I hope they will make the at least parts of the settlement public to clear this up, but I don't really think it will happen.
I like to think of it differently - my thoughts are perfectly summed up in the following post: https://testsquadron.com/threads/crytek-vs-cig-final-round.16930/#post-324083

Ps.: @NaffNaffBobFace F to Rover, they had some fun cars. Some of their cars were BMW based (75 had a lot of E46 in it I think) so you can still get some parts but it must b hard to keep em alive.
I only learned to drive relatively recently so never got to expiriance them, sadly. Even though my budget for vehicles is very much in the used category they just aren't that many about anymore. While BMW owning Rover was odd, at least they ran it. The stories I have heared about the K series head gasket don't make me doubt the company had its issues, however there 'aint no new rovers on the roads so they're all getting old, even the 25's / 45's / 75's from the last batch of model designs.

Forgot your password?