Cutlass Black 3.0

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .Suckerpunches are distortion cannons, yes. There are lore mentions of larger sized distortion cannons, but so far we only have the S1.

. . .on a ship with a bunch of S3 hardpoints like the Cutlass, I think the DPS loss from a having a S1 weapon over an S3 weapon cancels out the usefulness of the Suckerpunch for pure combat purposes.
It really depends whether you want or need to take down the shields. By far the fastest way to kill a target is to sidestep shields with ballistics, but especially if you want to take a craft undamaged, then you do want to knock out the computer. There are three ways to do this: Distortion Cannons, Spike Missiles and EMP Generators. Distortion Cannons are great when used the way they were designed, even if we never see nicer S2 and S3 versions.

If you are stuck on using lasers, and have empty S1 slots, you would be wise to add Jokers to pull the shields down fast. If you want to build a monoboat designed for immobilizing targets with its guns, the Reliant Tana should be able to mount 8 S1 Jokers. If it doesn't get all bowed up beforehand, it should be able to knock down shields and paralyze prey pretty perfectly. (Well, "perfectly" I dunno but when you stumble onto an alliteration go for it.)

Vogonjeltz

Vice Admiral
Jul 22, 2017
RSI Handle
Vogonjeltz
Anyone in the PTU know if the Cutlass Black comes with Suckerpunches?
I got lucky and was let into 3.0, probably my system but I haven't been able to successfully complete a mission with the Cutlass (crashyness), that being said no, they upgraded the size to 4 size 3 mounts and such. It feels way more like a gunboat now. With size two gimbals they can still be purchased and equipped however. My guess is, because they want to punish failed pirates, as a cough* honest player wouldn't use them much.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Depends what you want to do. I think it is still 6XS3 guns, 4 fixed and 2 in the turret. If you want to take down shields the Panthers are great. If you want to blow up a target, the Tarantulas hit really hard and fly through shields. If you don't mind shooting slower ballistics for their longer time of flight (makes it harder to hit) the Mantis and Tigerstreiks hit very hard. If you're an all-or-nothing kinda guy who wants to joust by flying right into the face of an enemy, I think the Pyrobursts are still sporting devastating firepower at very close range. Combos of these may be warranted for tasking fixed and turret differently. If the Pyros can knock down missiles and torpedoes, I would put them in the turret for that reason alone and plan to use the turret for that purpose, but we still don't have much detail of whether Pyros and Jokers can shoot down missiles. I personally like the idea of using the turret for defense, and may do that on the Vanguards if it can work. Given the power, new speeds, range and enhanced tracking of the S3 and larger missiles, they are a serious threat to everyone. Depending you can knock them down could give a real edge in how you fly.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
baby, you know I always got my ear to the ground as far as my baby the Cutlass goes. OG Cutty squad reppin, dog
Haha, you're so good to me. I freaking Love me Cutty. First ship I ever bought. I'm certainly looking forward to flying her. Just waiting for a stable 3.0 build.

Reactions: Stevetank

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Haha, you're so good to me. I freaking Love me Cutty. First ship I ever bought. I'm certainly looking forward to flying her. Just waiting for a stable 3.0 build.
I'm just admiring mine in the hangar. I like the fire extinguisher in the back.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?