DANK MEMES

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Ah, here, I found it:

About
“Dank Memes” is an ironic expression used to describe online viral media and in-jokes that are intentionally bizarre or have exhausted their comedic value to the point of being trite or cliché. In this context, the word “dank,” originally coined as a term for high quality marijuana, is satirically used as a synonym for “cool.”

Origin
The exact origin of the phrase “dank memes” is unknown. Many have speculated that it was coined on the /s4s/ (shit 4chan says) board on 4chan, /r/2007scape on Reddit or within the montage parody community on YouTube.[1]

Spread
On May 26th, 2013, YouTuber fennthulhu uploaded a parody video titled “How 2 make dank memes!”, in which he demonstrates how to create an “edgy” Success Kid image macro on the website Quickmeme (shown below, left). On December 20th, YouTuber Ethan Holey uploaded a video in which he recommends using “dank memes” as a replacement for the terms “awesome,” “cool” or “bodacious” (shown below, right).

View: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dank-memes

Reactions: Daak Seed

Daak Seed

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
daak-seed
Ah, here, I found it:

About
“Dank Memes” is an ironic expression used to describe online viral media and in-jokes that are intentionally bizarre or have exhausted their comedic value to the point of being trite or cliché. In this context, the word “dank,” originally coined as a term for high quality marijuana, is satirically used as a synonym for “cool.”

Origin
The exact origin of the phrase “dank memes” is unknown. Many have speculated that it was coined on the /s4s/ (shit 4chan says) board on 4chan, /r/2007scape on Reddit or within the montage parody community on YouTube.[1]

Spread
On May 26th, 2013, YouTuber fennthulhu uploaded a parody video titled “How 2 make dank memes!”, in which he demonstrates how to create an “edgy” Success Kid image macro on the website Quickmeme (shown below, left). On December 20th, YouTuber Ethan Holey uploaded a video in which he recommends using “dank memes” as a replacement for the terms “awesome,” “cool” or “bodacious” (shown below, right).

You learn so much useful stuff while at work...

Reactions: AstroSam

Frisbeerocker

Commissar
May 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Frisbeerocker87
Ah, here, I found it:

About

Origin

Spread

Thanks this thread is ruined now.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
'cause I filled it with serious content, yeah, I know - 'tis my bad :p:D

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle