Data caps BEWARE!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Google Stadia, the new streaming service (similar in concept to shadow tech) will allow you to stream high end games to your tv or pc without putting up the cash for high end PC parts or straining your old PC in the process.

While streaming in 4k, this new service will use up 1TB of data in just 65 hours..... WAT!? Thats a lotta data. Full article found below.

PCgamer Google Stadia

Reactions: Deroth and Sraika

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
first!

that won't work for me, I'm capped at 300 gig/month

Reactions: Bambooza

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I have this ancient plan that just gradually went up from 50Mbps to 350Mbps... prices has gone up in total of 23/mo from 50/mo (now 72.98/mo) with a limit of 350GB/mo.
There's an official plan where it's 500Mbit with unlimited data for 84.98... I'm calling my ISP to see if I can get a better price for something similar.

Just got off the phone, and basically got the 500Mbit plan for the same price "for 1 year" with a "TV anywhere app" for $10/mo, but with $20/mo credit... so basically the total is the same, but it's with unlimited data cap now.

Stadia looks really promising so far.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
This was my main concern when this was initially announced, I have a 1TB cap, and between myself and the roommate, it gets used up every month. While this is a cool dea and can flourish, ISPs need to change and infrastructure needs updated and improved for this to become mainstream.

I feel this will go the way of Google Inbox, Google+, and others if it can find that footing it needs.

Rickhart

Lieutenant
May 19, 2019
RSI Handle
Rickhart
Wonder what the input delay is gonna feel like on something as complex as Star Citizen? high speed/no cap or not, there's gotta be a hitch

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Moving to Germany was like going back in time. There were castles everywhere. The internet came through the phone lines, and they charged hundreds of euros for going over the data cap.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Moving to Germany was like going back in time. There were castles everywhere. The internet came through the phone lines, and they charged hundreds of euros for going over the data cap.
Currently 250 Mbits no Data cap for 20€

Also there is almost no data cap anymore. We just don't buy that crap. Well it still goes through the phone line.

Forgot your password?