Dead case fan - what to replace it with

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've got 3x Temperature Probe controlled fans on my machine, with one Motherboard controlled one. The MoBo is older gen so has limited fan headers and only one with the 4 pin controller which is used by the one mobo controlled fan on an intake, with one TC fan supporting it and 2x TC fans drawing out...

Well, one of the TC fans on the outtake has stopped spinning - I've changed the plug to another header to see if it was that header and it's not spinning. It was the hardest working fan being one of 2 exhausts that the CPU cooler exhansted to, which is a bit of a bummer but these things happen.

So, i'm not up for playing the cables game with a replacement TC which may or may not live long enough, so am looking at getting 2x fans to replace it, (there is room for a second fan over the CPU cooler, it exhausts upwads through the top of the case) which would give me 3x exhaust with the last TC installed in the back of the case backing up the 2 fixed speeds in the roof.

So I was wondering: 2x constant low-speed 800RPM with a 37cfm draw each (giving a total draw of 74 cfm) or just go for full speed 1,350rpm constant fans with an advertised flow of 74 cfm each (combined 128 cmf) with the last temperature controlled fan doing whatever the hell it feels like on the back...

The advantage of the 800's is that they are super quiet and combined will have identical exhaust speed as the original TC.
The advantage of the 1,350's is that they are going to be double what was there originally.

I'd appreciate some opinions - the CPU fan at full speed would be going 2000RPM but I doubt it would go that much, but if it did would the 800's be a choke-point?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Whatever you choose, just keep it quiet. Unless you're counting frames, I think choosing noise suppression over cfm will be your best bet.
Thanks for the info, the TC's did wind up something fierce when they got going 🙂

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What is the case temp you’re getting under load at the moment - is there a reason to change?
I have no idea what the temps are, sorry... Somewhere about the 40's 50's at a guess...

Reason for change is that there is the TC fan has failed within a few months of use. It's a good fan otherwise but once bitten, twice shy.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Recently replaced some of my case fans with some Corsair ML 140mm fans. They are quiet and work great!
I have one Corsair that came with the case, problem I've had with these is I can't find any that don't have LED's in :)

Reactions: Bambooza

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
If you would still rather cheap out, I got three Arctic F12silent fans about 2 years ago and they work fine. Quiet and efficient so far, but getting a noctua is the way to go if you want something more serious.

One thing you could consider though, is to keep your house under positive pressure by installing more in than out fans, this should help a little bit with dust management. In theory. Actually I don't think it matters lol.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If you would still rather cheap out, I got three Arctic F12silent fans about 2 years ago and they work fine. Quiet and efficient so far, but getting a noctua is the way to go if you want something more serious.

One thing you could consider though, is to keep your house under positive pressure by installing more in than out fans, this should help a little bit with dust management. In theory. Actually I don't think it matters lol.
I've got the Arctic F12 TC's at the moment they do very well it's just misfortune that this one has stopped spinning, so while i've got the inclination I thought I should fill in that extra gap I've got next to it too, and at the same time replace the dead fan that was the hardest working of all 4 in the case. For that particular spot I think going for a constant speed fan built to run at that RPM all the time is probably a better bet than putting another TC in there again, and to be honest I cannot be fussed with the cable game again 🙂 I definately won't be binning my other TC's until they fail but one has started making a little clicking noise on every rotation, so seems i've had a bit of poor luck.

There is a 3 year warrenty but typical one should fail the day after the boxes have been taken away by the bin-men so I can't use that, my own fault but they are cheap enough that I can't be too miffed. It's more the fuss and inconvenience of having to open the case to replace it haha.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I've had good results with Silverstone Air Penetrators. Gotta admit never tried the higher end ones like Noctua, they may be much better - ill never find out as I just cant bring myself to pay quadruple the price.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've had good results with Silverstone Air Penetrators. Gotta admit never tried the higher end ones like Noctua, they may be much better - ill never find out as I just cant bring myself to pay quadruple the price.
That's the thing, even with one failure the Arctic haven't failed to impress me in their quietness or performance and for the price of two Noctura I could pick up a 5 pack of Arctic and have 3x spare in the case of failures...

I'm not helping myself here haha!

So the shortlist is now:
2x Corsair ML Maglevs ( awesome but 4 pin so may not be in the running due to my computers headers)
2x Noctua NF-S12A FLX (max. 65cfm)
5x Arctic F12 (1,350rpm 57cfm)
5x Arctic F12 Silent (800rpm 37cfm)

Personally I'm a cheapskate so am leaning toward the Arctic 5 packs but those Noctuas look very nice - shame the Corsairs have a 4 pin so are out of the running (the cable from my Power Supply is 3 pin and i'm running these three from there, hence the Temperature Controlled originals).

Payday is a week away so no actual decision yet, time to watch some Youtube Reviews I think.

Forgot your password?