Discord App, thoughts?

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
So I know a good number of us were trying Discord the other day, and I must say I REALLY liked it.

Obviously very early in Beta, and unknown about the max # of clients available, but I think this has serious potential. I very much approve of the browser based option, all you need to do is click a link and it automatically pops you into a specific channel in a browser window. Excellent for new players who might not want to download Mumble/TS/Vent/Raidcall.

Also a full on app, which runs pretty smoothly. Chat works great on mobile, and VOIP works pretty well too (Text and VOIP are separated, so you can chat with a general group, talk to a specific channel, or both!). I was talking to Egriz and ArrangingStars on my S5 and it worked quite well. Obviously phone talking is not IDEAL, but it's very nice to have in an emergency situation.

I can see this getting a lot of use in TEST for "on the fly" voip servers for squadrons. UI is pretty great too.

https://discordapp.com/ if you're interested.

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
We have a Google Doc the Mods/Officers are working on to compile a list of feedback for the Discord Developers. We actually had a nice long talk with Zachan (Zach), one of the Devs while we were in Discord. He's interested in getting our feedback, and we also brought up a lot of things that are kind of make-or-break for us. So at this point, our official stance is were going to wait to see what it's like after their next big update or two. There were some features they had or didn't have that kind of made us wrinkle our nose, but hopefully they'll take our feedback to heart. We really want to keep the Org together. Mumble allows us to do that, friends from outside of TEST come into Mumble and they're like, hey these guys are cool I think I'll join TEST! But, where Discord has such an ease of access it could be easily used outside of our official channels. We love you guys and want you to stick around and help the Org grow so until some features are either added or removed we're not willing to switch over just yet. They seem like an ambitious crew, so I'm hopeful things will work out and we'll have all the features we need as a large org! :)

Reactions: SeungRyul

Chairman Meow

Grand Admiral
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Chabby
I enjoyed it, slick UI and great sound quality. The TTS features work well and with the upcoming whiteboard being incorporated into it, it could be a handy tool for fleet ops.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
from my point of view as TEST admin:

perfect. some minor polishment is required, add some features like temp channels and this really is a teamspeak/mumble killer.

think about it. proper voice comm, proper chat, proper instant messaging with mobile phone support (for the call to arms at 3 in the morning)

we always wondered how we would integrate mumble into our forums for user authentication (like chrizz on forums is also chrizz on mumble with only one login) they already said they'd release a proper API to check that stuff. so hey, screw mumble and TS, it really is like 15 years old that tech.

one thing tho: it is free. that bugs me. they will release some premium customization stuff they said BUT still... if you don't pay for a product, you're the product. there's an investor behind the company, and they don't invest money out of sheer altriusm. i can see sponsored text to speech messages for the newest KIA while we're in a fleet op :P

Forgot your password?