[Discussion] Fleet Command - Deaf People and FCing.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Eve-like strict Fleet Comms will definitely be a thing, but that may very well vary

a) from group to group (Mining or Merchant convoys may have a more relaxed VOIP protocols in general since it's a more "relaxed" field.
b) how large the battle is. A 10 v 10 skirmish is going to need a lot less strict comms than a 50 v 50.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Yeah thats what I was thinking. What type of operations are we talking about? Just normal "hey this is the play you guys go do that" or more as in a battle? In battle it may be a problem, in normal fleet operations not so much a problem. Personally hearing someone addressing the whole group is a lot easier for me at least, I find it hard to look at text well dealing with something, mind you thats in a more involved situation.
General fleet command is something I'm thinking, that is facilitated by a Combat Information Center module. The CIC module would give me a good overview of the fleet, and therefore facilitate more timely responses to developments. For example, in one of my earlier posts, I said that I wanted to start out with either my Constellation Aquila or Starfarer Gemini as a CIC ship, leading a small fleet of fighters (6 to 12) for getting my feet wet before graduating to an Idris Frigate.

Either way, I would follow @NKato into battle, and as long as I didn't get killed along the way, I'll do it more than once.
Expect things to be a bit rough around the edges early on; for any rookie FC, there will tend to be a higher casualty rate. However, I do expect to keep some medevac capabilities available for any critically wounded pilots/marines. :)

Pandoz

Grand Admiral
Mar 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Pandoz
If the game supports it and/or someone is up to the challenge - do it!

For nimble squad-level operations, I personally prefer stereo split audio with higher level command in left ear and squadmates in right ear (if the application supports it, I highly prefer further splitting the squad mates into spatial quadrants).

As always - it's a game...if it takes 2 seconds longer for NKato to get a "change to target X" via text, in-game buddy radar assignment/CIC, or via TTS in mumble - I don't care. Besides, it will take us a few minutes to respond anyway since the text/assignment will be blurry (yay alcohol!)...that extra few seconds won't spell disaster.

That said - I understand the original disagreement and both points of view. There are certain limitations placed on folks with disabilities in the US military because there are standard operating procedures to try and ensure everyone makes it back in one piece...they may not be fair or justified, but the US military is a slow moving organism that doesn't like to change its ways. As long as everyone remains respectful toward each other, I think discourse like this will only make our ORG stronger.

-Pandoz

edit: made some grammar update...did I mention alochol?

Last edited:
Reactions: o-BHG-o
Forgot your password?