Do skills or grinding really matters

RememberMe

Space Marshal
Mar 27, 2016
RSI Handle
ImRememberMe
so i know that grinding does matters on money etc.but what i need to know is about character skills.from what i heard we do not have skills system like other game.and from what i know NPC do have that.like if u have enginer and ask them to do something else.they can learn that too.now is it gonna be implemented to player too? like if u run u can increase ur stamina much futher because u learn from that.and if u shoot the first time u dont really have a good aim and then after learning and shoot many times u can increase ur skills on that.i may not got stats like other game but something that are more basics.and if it wanna get a realistic gameplay i think its needed to have that kinda system.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
From what I understood, all the skill involved will be the player's IRL skill. If you shoot many times, you will naturally get better at it.
The NPC, on the other hand, will learn skills and become better and better at them, but the inner workings will be hidden from the player. (citation needed)

RememberMe

Space Marshal
Mar 27, 2016
RSI Handle
ImRememberMe
CR has said multiple times everything a player does will be based on your own skill, not some arbitrary value in-game. But NPC's will have a skill system governing their actions, so they can level up or you can hire better NPC's.

Also, your lack of formatting hurt my brain.
lul my bad :P yeah so they really dont have plan on player skills etc ? thats kinda ruin the reality a little bit from my perspective

RememberMe

Space Marshal
Mar 27, 2016
RSI Handle
ImRememberMe
From what I understood, all the skill involved will be the player's IRL skill. If you shoot many times, you will naturally get better at it.
The NPC, on the other hand, will learn skills and become better and better at them, but the inner workings will be hidden from the player. (citation needed)
the aim maybe not really matters.but how about the stamina ? the more points u have the better and longer u can run.and when i say points its about the more experience of running u have

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
lul my bad :P yeah so they really dont have plan on player skills etc ? thats kinda ruin the reality a little bit from my perspective
This is the plan for player skills. If you like playing as a space mechanic on a Crucible, for example, in time you (the real person) will get better at it and do it faster, better, more efficiently.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
the aim maybe not really matters.but how about the stamina ? the more points u have the better and longer u can run.and when i say points its about the more experience of running u have
You have a valid point here. It would be cool if, for example, say you're going to run a lot and your leg muscles would get a workout, allowing you to run faster or longer.

Sportsvee

Commander
Sep 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Sportsvee
You have a valid point here. It would be cool if, for example, say you're going to run a lot and your leg muscles would get a workout, allowing you to run faster or longer.
In space, no one can hear you pant. Except over the Mike.

How much running are you guys planning on doing (except for FPS)? I find I die just fine sitting on my arse in the cockpit :-D

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You don't seem to have accepted the answer you were given. There are no character skills in the game--only player skills.

CR has said multiple times everything a player does will be based on your own skill, not some arbitrary value in-game. But NPC's will have a skill system governing their actions, so they can level up or you can hire better NPC's.
This above is correct. The key to skill in the SC universe is to LEARN the universe and its dynamics. Learn the layout of the various systems, the abilities of scan and stealth, travel times of ships and missiles, how ballistics and energy weapons different against different targets, the markets, the trade routes, etc.

Everyone runs at the same speed modified by what you wear or carry. There are no character skills.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
You don't seem to have accepted the answer you were given. There are no character skills in the game--only player skills.
Accept the answer he was given? Are we in school or something? Or church? sheesh

Also, why would we accept any answer, as the game is still in developent and susceptible to change, the stamina part is a really good point he brought up.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Accept the answer he was given? Are we in school or something? Or church? sheesh

Also, why would we accept any answer, as the game is still in development and susceptible to change, the stamina part is a really good point he brought up.
The answer does not change because someone like doesn't like the answer. There are no player skills in the game. How many years do people need to get the same answer over and over again?

You do understand the reason there are no skills to level in the game? Most MMORPGs are dominated by pimply 12 year olds who have no life responsibilities so can power level their characters while the rest of us work. This is not like that, and Chris Roberts has explained this plenty enough times that people should not be convincing themselves of the opposite. Especially after the peeps have invested $330M, we have a right to expect this is not going to be yet one more game dominated by irresponsible children who are power leveling every aspect of their character. It is going to be dominated by people who play smart. That's why we're here.

Last edited:

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
The answer does not change because someone like doesn't like the answer. There are no player skills in the game. How many years do people need to get the same answer over and over again?

You do understand the reason there are no skills to level in the game? Most MMORPGs are dominated by pimply 12 year olds who have no life responsibilities so can power level their characters while the rest of us work. This is not like that, and Chris Roberts has explained this plenty enough times that people should not be convincing themselves of the opposite. Especially after the peeps have invested $330M, we have a right to expect this is not going to be yet one more game dominated by irresponsible children who are power leveling every aspect of their character. It is going to be dominated by people who play smart. That's why we're here.
If you don't want to listen to someone that is fine.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
We don't grind for skill points, we do however grind for money which can buy goods which can increase the effect of our current skill.

I think if they do eventually implement some kind of crafting, there should be a skill element to that, someone who is crafting pistols for the very first time should mostly make pistols that fire backwards and blow up their owner. Someone who has been doing it for months should be more expert and less failure prone and should be able to use more exotic / harder materials.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
I think if they do eventually implement some kind of crafting, there should be a skill element to that, someone who is crafting pistols for the very first time should mostly make pistols that fire backwards and blow up their owner. Someone who has been doing it for months should be more expert and less failure prone and should be able to use more exotic / harder materials.
I think they will make the crafting process human skill based, not point skill based. Like they are planning with mining scanners for exaple, a mining scanner has to fire a torpedo in the exact right spot and angle (and probably more) to get the best results for scanning an asteroid, or avoid blowing it up completely even. As it is now, all skills are being developed this way, without skillpoints or whatnot.

The point about stregth and stamina brought up earlier still intrigues me though, because you can't do something better to have more stamina or strength.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Exactly.

The more you do or practice a particular function, the better you will get at it.
Just like Real Life.
This is as close to Reality as any game has ever been.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Especially after the peeps have invested $330M, we have a right to expect this is not going to be yet one more game dominated by irresponsible children who are power leveling every aspect of their character. It is going to be dominated by people who play smart. That's why we're here.
There will be people farming for UEC while we're at work and they'll get better ships / guns / upgrades faster. The beauty of the game is that you don't have to compete with them.
Someone who doesn't afford to back Star Citizen right now might play for hours and hours, week after week when the game goes live, and still won't manage to get an Idris or a Javelin in time to compete with the ones we've already bought. But nobody cares about that. It's what you chose to do in the 'verse that will set you apart, not your level or your epic loot.
I think this (among tons of other things) is what makes Star Citizen such an awesome game.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?